Starbucks Team Leaders

Too many cooks , spoil the *soup.
Had a 9 person play running today at a store I co-manage as an assistant manager. I popped in just for a quick connect with our DM and my manager (who typical runs that store but technically oversees both mine and her location) as we have a huge visit with the regional vice president, DM, and RD in a week and a half. As soon as I walked in I knew it would be a shit show. 3 trainees on during peak, no barista basic guides for any of them. no-one sticking to their stations and store was not set to sirens eye. The manager on the floor was not effectively running any plays and there were points when noone was sticking to a register. Line straight out the store and my DM saw someone get off the line and lost it. Pulls me aside, has me watch everything that is going on, points out so many issues and I let him know I've brought these up before and that yes, everything hes saying is correct and I choose to run the store a certain way on my shift and the best I can do is express my concerns on other management with my manager and hope they are followed up on. My manager walks in, DM causes a scene in the lobby and threatened non-compliance for lots of things.

Walk to the office & DM put me in a really awkward position by basically implying that I know what I'm doing and my manager doesn't. He made my manager call in the Director of Operations and Dining Services Directors, & pretty soon they all filed in the office with some other higher up management. My manager was an instantaneous mess. DM would say you're not trained for this this and this and all the higher ups would turn look at me and say BUT YOU ARE RIGHT?! Of course I am. I've been Starbucks trained for 6 years.

I've never been put in such an uncomfortable position and now the pressure that is on me is overwhelming. My managers job was threatened. What's even more awkward is that I had originally applied for my managers position. I was told I was too unexperienced and was offered assistant manager instead. This was after I spoke with a recruiter and was actually told I was over qualified. I've only been here a few months.. can't even imagine how my manager feels right now and i feel horrible about the whole emtire thing.

When our DM left he called the district manager and I believe the RM of our licensee. I'm now expected to certify my manager for barista basics, LS lead, brand management etc in 10 days, fix the sirens eye issues, ensure we are fully staffed with the friendliest outgoing bunch possible and run a 13 person play during peak..also, prepare a coffee tasting for the regional vice president and regional director, and create a green apron board and store action plans by next Thursday.

Any feedback/moral support would be much appreciated.

Say what you want to about Target, it does prepare you for emergency compliance situations.

Keep the mgr training strictly business. She will be feeling defensive and awkward, so keep to the schedule, and avoid falling into any conflict traps (Hey, you worked at Target. I'm sure you have trained other bosses before, lol). Try to make it about what is best for the team and the business. Also, remember that it isn't her fault she was chosen for that job over you.

13 person play--You're on your own, lol. I don't think I've ever had 13 baristas on staff at the same time.

Green Apron board. Farm that out to one of your craftier baristas. They always enjoy the chance to do something different. Google search for ideas. Make sure they each have something by the time of the visit too.

Sirens Eye is about accountability. It's pretty back and white.

Your 13 friendliest baristas will pick up on your vibes. Nothing wrong with letting them know there is a big visit. Keep it light though. "We are going to get to show Sbux Corp how awesome our licensed location is," not "Everyone has to smile or else.".

Coffee tasting is the fun part. You can probably get ideas on Reddit or by googling. It's usually a good idea to go with something you like.

I'm sure you had to fix your target Sbux at some point. This will be the same, just on a larger scale. Stay organized, calm, compassionate. We're rooting for you!

Does anyone have the dpcI to order coffee pots? I’ve tried searching for coffee pot, urns, or air pots but can’t seem to find it.

Say what you want to about Target, it does prepare you for emergency compliance situations.

Keep the mgr training strictly business. She will be feeling defensive and awkward, so keep to the schedule, and avoid falling into any conflict traps (Hey, you worked at Target. I'm sure you have trained other bosses before, lol). Try to make it about what is best for the team and the business. Also, remember that it isn't her fault she was chosen for that job over you.

13 person play--You're on your own, lol. I don't think I've ever had 13 baristas on staff at the same time.

Green Apron board. Farm that out to one of your craftier baristas. They always enjoy the chance to do something different. Google search for ideas. Make sure they each have something by the time of the visit too.

Sirens Eye is about accountability. It's pretty back and white.

Your 13 friendliest baristas will pick up on your vibes. Nothing wrong with letting them know there is a big visit. Keep it light though. "We are going to get to show Sbux Corp how awesome our licensed location is," not "Everyone has to smile or else.".

Coffee tasting is the fun part. You can probably get ideas on Reddit or by googling. It's usually a good idea to go with something you like.

I'm sure you had to fix your target Sbux at some point. This will be the same, just on a larger scale. Stay organized, calm, compassionate. We're rooting for you!
Thank you thank you thank you. Unfortunately the situation here gets a little more complicated. Our baristas are all students on the campus. They aren't engaged and oh my gosh half of them aren't even trained and not one has been trained correctly.

Every time I think about how I am leading this shift I want to vomit my brains out. Pulling employees from my location for this location and still dont have even half of the play he wants. Did I mention these students all work 3-5hour shifts and maybe 10 hours a week. It's been the challenge for me here. They won't let us hire full timers because of the tax credit from the students that they get. Out of my hands I'll have to figure it out. I'm not too religious but I'll be praying to the almighty Siren.

I've seen parts for the Columbia shuttle on the order guide under the counterwares guide.
Much faster if you order through your Starbucks DM. Just have your SD fill out and send to DM. You can then track the order through istore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200202-194810_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-194810_Drive.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 24
Does anyone have access to the menu board pricing zone list? Can someone message it to me. Please :(
Where would we put the sugar packets?
We've got six slots in the condiment holder & currently stock pink, blue, yellow, green, raw & honey.
All are nearly equal in demand so dropping one isn't an option.
I can’t order sweet & low anymore and the blue equal is now pink. So I have an extra spot. Am I missing something?

Does anybody know if there is a specific Target policy against having a sign up on the counter to state that Starbucks is closed? Lately, closing team members have been having significant challenges with guests trying to figure out if Starbucks is closed(apparently turning all the lights off, not wearing aprons or hats, and cleaning everything isn't a big enough hint). It's not too big of a deal when they're in view and can reply to the guest to inform them we're closed, but our backroom door is kept open at all times and lately guests have been hearing the closer do dishes in the back and will try and walk around or walk back to ask if we're closed which understandably completely freaks out the closers. I asked my food ETL and she said she thought there was a policy against it but didn't know and would get back to me and hasn't for a month and a half now. If anybody knows please let me know!

Back