I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

we were always told to educate the guest about the benefits of the Redcard. I would be very corny with how I asked but I did get lots of them.

Honestly, an extra 30 days and free shipping isn't enough added incentive. Anyone using any method of payment can get free ship to store and that's fine for most people, tbh. Target took away the Education benefit which was the original reason I signed up way back when...to give $ to my kids' schools.

As I've said before, my store is part of the new Cartwheel perks program. This does more to drive loyalty than the RC. In fact, when I ask if they want/have a RC, many guests say "no but I have Cartwheel" and that's all they want.

Your bank debit card is linked to your checking account, so why wouldn't you be able to stick your card in the card reader to get your banking info? A debit card acts as a check.
Because of how debit cards work. When you use your debit card now , the system sends encrypted info to the bank, and it gets decrypted, but it's only food for that single transaction. The debit red card works like ach withdrawl, similar to a check.

I personally wish there was more incentive to sign up on the spot for customers.. "but they get the 5% off then!" but no one wants to spend 2-3 minutes in a check lane(if the cashier knows what they're doing) for a meager 5% off.

Make it 15% off, or 20% off. Give them a $25 gift card or $50 gift card. I'd ask a lot more if guests had more incentive to just sign up.

Your bank debit card is linked to your checking account, so why wouldn't you be able to stick your card in the card reader to get your banking info? A debit card acts as a check.
Because of how debit cards work. When you use your debit card now , the system sends encrypted info to the bank, and it gets decrypted, but it's only food for that single transaction. The debit red card works like ach withdrawl, similar to a check.
Exactly. There is no way for a merchant's system to get your bank account info from a debit card or to set up a permanent link. When you use your debit card, your bank matches it to the correct account and sends a one-time authorization.

I personally wish there was more incentive to sign up on the spot for customers.. "but they get the 5% off then!" but no one wants to spend 2-3 minutes in a check lane(if the cashier knows what they're doing) for a meager 5% off.

Make it 15% off, or 20% off. Give them a $25 gift card or $50 gift card. I'd ask a lot more if guests had more incentive to just sign up.

It used to be 10 percent off that initial purchase but 5 percent everytime goes a lot further.

I'm only a backup cashier and pick up a few shifts here and there as a cashier, so as a backup cashier I come up to the lanes when thery're already busy, so I see no reason why I should tie up the lanes further by pushing red cards, with all the signs all over the place advertising them, I'm pretty sure the guests know about the Red cards. Further Lur99 is right, majority of the guests don't want to be bothered with the red card speech by the cashier. I routinely read the Google/Yelp reviews for my store, and a lot of the comments are about how they like the self checkout's, because they don't have to be bothered by the cashier asking about signing up for red cards.

Honestly, an extra 30 days and free shipping isn't enough added incentive. Anyone using any method of payment can get free ship to store and that's fine for most people, tbh. Target took away the Education benefit which was the original reason I signed up way back when...to give $ to my kids' schools.

As I've said before, my store is part of the new Cartwheel perks program. This does more to drive loyalty than the RC. In fact, when I ask if they want/have a RC, many guests say "no but I have Cartwheel" and that's all they want.
Giving great customer service and having items in stock will drive loyalty.

If they did more perks ( like Macy's) I get they are department store ( but still) they send out actual coupons in the mail as well as e-coupons ( if you choose that route) I forget how much you save when you sign up but I guarantee if we gave out coupons in the mail or e coupons guests would sign up and yes we do have cartwheel but let's face it there are those guests that simply aren't tech savvy and don't want to do cartwheel.

Years ago we had free gifts for people who signed up for a Target card: umbrellas, mini binoculars, teeny AM/FM radios, tote bags, etc but then they did away with 'free' gifts.
I suggested giving guests free reusable shopping bags but that was shot down.
If they really want to get back in the credit game they need to make it worth the guests' while to not only OPEN the account but CONTINUE to USE it: 10% upon applying, 5% with every day use, free reusable bags (brand recognition wherever they're used) with .10 off for each one used, free shipping of on-line orders, extended return window, coupons & cartwheel promos good ONLY with redcard use are a few things to start with.

Last edited:
Yes I remember that!! Back in the day when hadn't started at target yet my mom signed up for a target card and she got a umbrella. A free gift would be a added bonus!

So I got the RC debit card a couple weeks ago. I read here that you may need to use it a few times to build up your "limit" which for some reason they never tell you what your limit is. I used it three times on successive days two ~$20 purchases and a $2 purchase. I then made a $50 purchase. No issues. That $50 purchase cleared my bank and shows as completed on the RC site on 1/18. I tried using the RC to make a ~$35 purchase on 1/19 and it was denied. I then tried this morning for about the same amount - denied. WTF? What's the point of having the damn thing if I can't ever use it. Oh and I've never had less than $500 in the account it's tied to...so there isn't insufficient funds.

I contacted RC through their site and inquired as to why there is some secret limit and they refuse to tell you what it is. Got the canned response of fraud protection, clearing your bank like a check, etc. What's the point of the chip and PIN if they don't let you use it more than once a week for "fraud protection". Anyone else experience anything like this. My last resort is actually calling them...since I suspect they won't be able to tell me anything since everything seems like it's a secret for the consumer to figure out on their own.

/soapbox.

Drop the debit & get the credit card. Debit card charges can take up to 3 days to process.
I'm not sure I'd be approved for the credit card...my credit is...well, bad. I know the 3 day thing..but still makes no sense that it gets declined if all charges have cleared. Maybe that's their plan all along...make the debit card a pain in the ass so people get the credit card and carry a balance (interest charges, cha-ching). If I did get the CC though, I'd just pay the entire balance each month. lol

I'm not sure I'd be approved for the credit card...my credit is...well, bad. I know the 3 day thing..but still makes no sense that it gets declined if all charges have cleared. Maybe that's their plan all along...make the debit card a pain in the ass so people get the credit card and carry a balance (interest charges, cha-ching). If I did get the CC though, I'd just pay the entire balance each month. lol

There must have been an issue with the system because I have never had those problems using the debit card. I even used it twice yesterday. I think you should call and find out why it was declined when you had a balance in the account that would have covered the purchase.

There must have been an issue with the system because I have never had those problems using the debit card. I even used it twice yesterday. I think you should call and find out why it was declined when you had a balance in the account that would have covered the purchase.
I guess I'll have to call this week. I would understand if it was a large purchase or higher than one I'd already made, but it wasn't. Thanks for pointing out you never had those issues. You'd think it'd be even more streamlined for me since I'm using the Target credit union as my bank. Or maybe that's the issue...since it's a CU. I dunno.

I have the Target debit card and love it. I also am with a credit union, not Target cu, and they post the next business day. It doesn't matter to me. When I use the card, the funds are gone immediately. If you think you may not have sufficient funds to cover usage, I wouldn't get a debit card. A fellow tm is having issues with her debit card. I think the amount she has in her checking account and her FICO score probably have a lot to do with it. Just call and ask about it.

I always have sufficient funds...that's no concern there. I did use it last night on break...and it got accepted! For $1.64. I probably can't use it again for more than $2 without it getting declined until sometime in mid-February now though. ;)

That is so crazy that it would decline at all in the first place. Even if you did have insufficient funds (which you don't), it wouldn't know that until it goes to take the money out a couple days later. It's like a check. I really have no clue why it wouldn't work. Like others said, I would call

The only time that I've seen RC debit cards get denied is if the guest has used the card once and got cash out......if they try a second time for cash, that's when it gets denied. However, try a second time (with no cash back and the RC debit goes through.)

Oh, I just learned that if you choose to get stuff through our "subscription" program you get an additional 5% off.
So, as a TM you get TM 10%, RC 5% and 5% for being a subscriber. Not too bad if this is something that someone is interested in.

The only drawback to the subscription is that you have to use a debit card...it doesn't have to be a RC but then there isn't the 5% off for using a RC.

I've never taken cash out when using my RC debit card. I notice if I use it more than once in any three day period, it gets denied the second time. At least so far. I just don't use it a second time in 3 days now and I haven't had an issue...yet.

Yes that happened to me once I thought it was card then I found out had to with the cash. They watch it which is actually a good thing actually.

Back