I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

Anyone know if hotel.com gift cards ever go on sale? Trying to figure out whether to just use my 5% discount or wait for a sale

Anyone know if hotel.com gift cards ever go on sale? Trying to figure out whether to just use my 5% discount or wait for a sale
They probably will not. Redcard holders get 10% off all hotel.com purchases through your account manager online.

But honestly hotels are almost always cheaper when you book direct esp if you have AAA or AARP.

I never used to try to get guests to change to a Red Card if they get points for travel......especially when they tell you they earned enough to go one a trip overseas or they got a family vacation from using their card.
Travel points count on all purchases so most people wouldn't want to have to deal with a red card....not worth the 5% savings.

They probably will not. Redcard holders get 10% off all hotel.com purchases through your account manager online.

But honestly hotels are almost always cheaper when you book direct esp if you have AAA or AARP.
Do you have details for signing up for the discount?

But where on hotels.com can I find it? I don't want to not be eligible for their rewards program by switching accounts.

I never used to try to get guests to change to a Red Card if they get points for travel......especially when they tell you they earned enough to go one a trip overseas or they got a family vacation from using their card. Travel points count on all purchases so most people wouldn't want to have to deal with a red card....not worth the 5% savings.
I'll ask up-front about the redcard, but if they mention airline rewards and points, I just say thank you. I've originated hundreds of redcard signups but literally signed up only one guest who was going to pay with an airline rewards card. They are married to those cards.

Some guests with redcards say they won't use them. They complain about bad experiences with redcard customer service, such as very long wait times, or the phone reps arent helpful at solving a problem. Does anyone here know if redcard customer service is any better or worse than other banks?

Some guests with redcards say they won't use them. They complain about bad experiences with redcard customer service, such as very long wait times, or the phone reps arent helpful at solving a problem. Does anyone here know if redcard customer service is any better or worse than other banks?

Worse. I actually don't blame the guest

I personally have only had good experiences with them, and the automated support thing can do things like check balance and reset pin.

Mixed bag for me. I had the embarrassing situation of my debit red card declining despite never once having bounced anything. When I called the guy at the other end said that I was on a monthly limit because they had to be sure they would be paid. I told him that I had spent far, far more than that amount in the past and he said it was because they had to be sure they could get their money. I hung up and called back, got a very nice woman who actually looked at her computer screen and found that when I had changed bank accounts a week or so before the new information was saved at the main issuer but not at store level, the store had on file that I had no banking information attached to the red card. So customer service, some are terrible, and transfer of information terrible.

I haven't used my debit redcard in many months and have instead paid with cash or check to use TM discount. Reason: friends who work in banks have told me that if there's fraud or misuse on the account, those visa/mastercard debit cards have a zero liability guarantee, doesn't apply to using a redcard even though the rc does have PIN protection. YMMV.

I nod at these stories, but USUALLY, the issue is payment. People close account, redcard charge isn't covered, credit card payment overdue, card taken by relative and claimed stolen by employees, etc.

Yesterday I landed two RC applications, but sometimes I'll go a whole week or two with no sign-ups. I'm among the top RC generators in our store but have to tell newbies that you may have over a thousand or more "no" responses before you get a "yes". You can't beat up on yourself if you have a couple of weeks with no sign-ups, keep asking and you can be surprised at getting multiple signups on the same day. It's usually the guest you least suspect will say yes. Theoretically, corporate claims that you get 1 RC signup per 100 guests, but that's not the real world.

Theoretically, corporate claims that you get 1 RC signup per 100 guests, but that's not the real world.

I go MONTHS in a row without a single bite. Maybe once upon a time we had a 1% convert rate. The last time my store leadership actually printed out cashier stats, the top RC generator was averaging more than a thousand transactions per shift, and she only gets 5-6 RCs a week.

Yeah. They used to throw the 1% conversion rate around a lot. It's achievable if your store is like mine was at opening, the first in a geographic area. But now my store has been there for almost 19 years, and we have pretty much saturated our market. Most people who want a Redcard already have one. 1% conversion isn't going to happen.

Target ought to negotiate with one, or more, airline groups to offer an optional co-branded Redcard Air Rewards Mastercard (along with the annual fee assessed on nearly all airline-rewards cards). This would be an unmistakeable way to capture market penetration for airline frequent flyers, who are a very desirable market segment. This might require some negotiating and financial concessions with existing airline card issuers, but my gut tells me this would make the redcard far more profitable and relevant than the standalone redcard. Can't tell you how many times people say they prefer air rewards miles, free trips etc. Can anyone see my point, this idea would boost target's sales volume well beyond the existing target-only card.

Target ought to negotiate with one, or more, airline groups to offer an optional co-branded Redcard Air Rewards Mastercard (along with the annual fee assessed on nearly all airline-rewards cards). This would be an unmistakeable way to capture market penetration for airline frequent flyers, who are a very desirable market segment. This might require some negotiating and financial concessions with existing airline card issuers, but my gut tells me this would make the redcard far more profitable and relevant than the standalone redcard. Can't tell you how many times people say they prefer air rewards miles, free trips etc. Can anyone see my point, this idea would boost target's sales volume well beyond the existing target-only card.
The only catch is they can only redeem the miles to fly to Minnesota and shop at the Mother Store.

Target will never partner with anyone else because they don't want to pay the 1-2% fee per transaction when they are already giving you 5% back.

Had a rare treat on Saturday, in spite of the companywide network outage! 😃 While talking with one of my early-morning guests, she realized how often she shopped at Target and how much money she could save. She became interested in applying for the debit redcard but didn't have enough time to get the routing number/account number and complete the application before traveling 20+ miles to a meeting in 45 minutes. I wrote down my name on the redcard marketing brochure, encouraged her to come back, said i'd be here until (insert end of shift), and she went on her way. Usually, these "be-backs" don't actually come back. Well, almost four hours later and post-outage, she came back to my crowded line and was happy to see me and sign up. I turned off the light so I'd be able to help her after I finished helping the remaining two guests. While I was ringing up the other two guests, she actually started putting the bagged items into the guests' carts.... Her bank gave her a business card with her specific routing number and checking account number. Our store has an ipad tablet which we use for debit RC applications. [NOTE: when i went to GS to get the tablet, i told our GSTL who happened to be on duty that i was handling a redcard signup which is why the lane light was off.] I gave our guest the paper copy of the disclosures and stood by to assist with questions during the application. Once she finished and received the application ID number, I gave the instructions to watch her e-mail for the "verification deposits" and other remaining steps in activating her card once it arrived, including instructions on how to add to the Target App Wallet if desired. Our ETL-GE allows us to grant the 5% discount for new debit RC applications if they apply on our tablet (and don't have the instant redcard barcode), I know ASANTS on this. This particular "be-back" guest actually saved a lot of money on her purchase as well as on future purchases, our store landed a new redcard holder, and my bosses are happy. That she came back, obviously had read the sales brochure thoroughly because she recited the benefits even better than I usually do, made me feel really good. 😊 YEAHHHHH! 😁👍

Had a rare treat on Saturday, in spite of the companywide network outage! 😃 While talking with one of my early-morning guests, she realized how often she shopped at Target and how much money she could save. She became interested in applying for the debit redcard but didn't have enough time to get the routing number/account number and complete the application before traveling 20+ miles to a meeting in 45 minutes. I wrote down my name on the redcard marketing brochure, encouraged her to come back, said i'd be here until (insert end of shift), and she went on her way. Usually, these "be-backs" don't actually come back. Well, almost four hours later and post-outage, she came back to my crowded line and was happy to see me and sign up. I turned off the light so I'd be able to help her after I finished helping the remaining two guests. While I was ringing up the other two guests, she actually started putting the bagged items into the guests' carts.... Her bank gave her a business card with her specific routing number and checking account number. Our store has an ipad tablet which we use for debit RC applications. [NOTE: when i went to GS to get the tablet, i told our GSTL who happened to be on duty that i was handling a redcard signup which is why the lane light was off.] I gave our guest the paper copy of the disclosures and stood by to assist with questions during the application. Once she finished and received the application ID number, I gave the instructions to watch her e-mail for the "verification deposits" and other remaining steps in activating her card once it arrived, including instructions on how to add to the Target App Wallet if desired. Our ETL-GE allows us to grant the 5% discount for new debit RC applications if they apply on our tablet (and don't have the instant redcard barcode), I know ASANTS on this. This particular "be-back" guest actually saved a lot of money on her purchase as well as on future purchases, our store landed a new redcard holder, and my bosses are happy. That she came back, obviously had read the sales brochure thoroughly because she recited the benefits even better than I usually do, made me feel really good. 😊 YEAHHHHH! 😁👍
That’s so sweet. At GS we get a ton of “problem guests” and it’s so nice when you get just a really wholesome interaction. That’s when I try to surprise and delight (in whatever way the situation warrants)

Nice. She made your day great and I bet you made her day great too with the savings . Good for you : ‘
“helping your guest find the joy in every day life ! “. Good job.

Back