To That One Guest - II

If it were an actual age restricted thing, I could get it. But legally Mom and 12 year old kid can go through the line, Mom purchase the medication, and then in front of everyone including local law enforcement Mom can hand the kid the medication and tell the kid "Take it right now, you need it". Ingesting the medication is not illegal, so why make it difficult for guests?

What are we going to do next, require ID for garbage bags and men's ties because both can be used to induce hypoxia? If the register gives the option for "or", it gives the option, and this stuff isn't like trying to buy a bottle of wine where age does restrict ingestion.

I feel like the “scan ID or enter birthdate” means if the ID won’t scan for whatever reason (a couple of my registers have a really weak hand scanner so it’s hard to scan them) you have the option to type in the birthdate you visually see on the ID. You can’t just ask the guest what their birthday is you have to visually confirm it
This is what I was taught. Scan is best practice, personally verifying by ID and manually entering is the backup. And for a while, POS was requiring a supervisor over-ride when we typed in a date. I'm glad they made that part go away because it was obnoxious and time consuming, but it was a clear indicator that typing in the date was frowned upon.

My state is "see ID"; no ifs, ands or buts on the checklanes.
I've seen several cashiers get bounced for not checking the ID, especially when a store nearby got fined.
CVS, it's on them.

Medicine? Unless we're talking whiskey, why does it matter? The register prompts for scanning ID -or- enter birthdate. Since it's an option, why not roll with it and just ask for the birthdate? Guests are inconvenienced far less and the two of you can crack jokes together about the ridiculousness of AlkaSeltzer Plus being an illicit drug and the guest (who is either sick or taking care of someone who is sick and therefore stressed) leaves in a somewhat better mood.

In CA, we must scan or see a person's ID on certain cough medicine since 18 or older are only allowed to purchase them cause kids nowadays get high off of cough syrup. :/

Is it the law? Or store policy? Back when stores like CVS and Walgreens started this I heard it was not the law, it was policy to prevent civil lawsuits from parents.

If it were an actual age restricted thing, I could get it. But legally Mom and 12 year old kid can go through the line, Mom purchase the medication, and then in front of everyone including local law enforcement Mom can hand the kid the medication and tell the kid "Take it right now, you need it". Ingesting the medication is not illegal, so why make it difficult for guests?

What are we going to do next, require ID for garbage bags and men's ties because both can be used to induce hypoxia? If the register gives the option for "or", it gives the option, and this stuff isn't like trying to buy a bottle of wine where age does restrict ingestion.

And if we don't see ID then us (the cashiers) will get determinate and the company may get fined.

On my second day of training I spent the whole shift by myself but I had to ask for help from another cashier a few times because I can’t seem to open those stupid spider wraps and security cases. It looks so easy to do but it never works for me. Any tips on how to open those can help.

Next, do I put the spider webs and cases after they are removed in the same compartment with the clothes hangers or with the items that the guests didn’t want to purchase? Where do I put the gift cards that are all used up and the guest doesn’t want it anymore cuz there isn’t a trash can at the registers.

How do you sell REDcards? Like not the talking part but how do I actually do it? Do I scan the pamphlet before I press total or after? And what happens after I scan it? I know they have to fill in some stuff and give me a voided check or whatever that means. Which direction do I put the check into the machine? If I put it in the wrong way will it not accept it?

And when guests are buying multiples of an item I know you can just scan one of them and enter the quantity but can I do that when they are buying multiple gift cards or not?

I’m a seasonal cashier and what’s the likelihood that I will be let go? Does it depend on my attendance and how well I am or are they just letting everyone go?

On my second day of training I spent the whole shift by myself but I had to ask for help from another cashier a few times because I can’t seem to open those stupid spider wraps and security cases. It looks so easy to do but it never works for me. Any tips on how to open those can help.
Does your store have TPS? If so, grab that person and ask for help. Ours was the only person who ever showed exactly what to do, step by step. It only took a couple minutes for him to go through all the types of spiderwrap and a case, but since then I haven't struggled with them.

Does your store have TPS? If so, grab that person and ask for help. Ours was the only person who ever showed exactly what to do, step by step. It only took a couple minutes for him to go through all the types of spiderwrap and a case, but since then I haven't struggled with them.
What’s a TPS? My only training was watching someone for about 40 minutes

Next, do I put the spider webs and cases after they are removed in the same compartment with the clothes hangers or with the items that the guests didn’t want to purchase? Where do I put the gift cards that are all used up and the guest doesn’t want it anymore cuz there isn’t a trash can at the registers.

How do you sell REDcards? Like not the talking part but how do I actually do it? Do I scan the pamphlet before I press total or after? And what happens after I scan it? I know they have to fill in some stuff and give me a voided check or whatever that means. Which direction do I put the check into the machine? If I put it in the wrong way will it not accept it?

And when guests are buying multiples of an item I know you can just scan one of them and enter the quantity but can I do that when they are buying multiple gift cards or not?

I’m a seasonal cashier and what’s the likelihood that I will be let go? Does it depend on my attendance and how well I am or are they just letting everyone go?
1. Make someone actually show u how to get devices off.

2. Scan brochure barcode. Have guest select credit or debit. IF debit, ask for check that can be voided and DL for both credit or debit. Type in DL info, address, via screen prompts while guest fills out their part. Hit total when completed. The check goes in like any other check in the checkreader.

3. Gift cards are scanned one at a time. Each one must be activated.

4. How many seasonal are kept depends on store needs.

Last edited:
1. Make someone actually show u how to get devices off.

2. Scan brochure barcode. Have guest select credit or debit. IF debit, ask for check that can be voided and DL for both credit or debit. Type in DL info, address, via screen prompts while guest fills out their part. Hit total when completed. The check goes in like any other check in the checkreader.

3. Gift cards are scanned one at a time. Each one must be activated.

4. How many seasonal are kept depends on store needs.
So a guest has to have a check on them to apply for a debit red card correct? People rarely ever carry checks how am I gonna get people to sign up

either go for credit or tell them to sign up online for debit when they get home, no check needed
Thank you! And do u know if we have to tighten the spider wraps back up and close the cases when we are done And do you know where we keep the spider wraps and security cases for video games and stuff after it’s used? At the register there’s 2 bins one for returned items and one for hangers. So which bin does the security stuff go in? And where does used gift cards go? I’m sorry for all the questions I was just never properly trained. My training consisted of watching someone for about 40 minutes. I learned the basics of a transaction but there’s still so much details I don’t know.

Thank you! And do u know if we have to tighten the spider wraps back up and close the cases when we are done And do you know where we keep the spider wraps and security cases for video games and stuff after it’s used? At the register there’s 2 bins one for returned items and one for hangers. So which bin does the security stuff go in? And where does used gift cards go? I’m sorry for all the questions I was just never properly trained. My training consisted of watching someone for about 40 minutes. I learned the basics of a transaction but there’s still so much details I don’t know.

This one is ASANTS. Ask your GSTL/GSA what they want you to do and where the devices go.

TTOG: I know there were a bunch of $4.99 packs of sponges in front of a label that said $1.99. And I apologize for the inconvenience (even though I’m not directly responsible for this, someone else overpushed it). But I’m not letting you take them all off the shelf for that price. If it was one pack, I’d allow the price adjustment. But not for all 10 packs on the shelf.

Also, interesting that you only wanted to clear the inventory after you found out it was mislabeled.

Oh, and also I know you asked for my name just so you can tell the cashier I said it was ok. I gave the GSTL a heads up 😉

Last edited:
Thank you! Ok last question I promise.. do you suggest suspending the transaction when a customer wants to apply for a red card.
YES.
If something goes wrong you don't want to have to re-ring everything.

YES.
If something goes wrong you don't want to have to re-ring everything.
I never thought of that but yeah that’s probably a good idea.

If you don’t feel ready to be on your own PLEASE ask GSTL to watch a little more or work with someone watching you. Better that than to have you mess up accidentally

I've had too many times of registers freezing up on me or outright crashing to NOT suspend.
Much easier to take the suspend slip to another register.

So a guest has to have a check on them to apply for a debit red card correct? People rarely ever carry checks how am I gonna get people to sign up
Yes. I tell young people they can sign up on line. Older people do often carry checks. And middle age people have them at home. Those I give flyers to and say, just toss one in your wallet, and we'll sign you up next time.

People do love red cards once they sign up.

Back