MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
then it starts messing with my service and engagement's workload and surprise, now GM is backup cashiering because the three cashiers we needed right now were cut to make up for payroll being overspent on the salesfloor.

That’s exactly my point. The amount of payroll provided is not realistic for every team. You need to spend money to make money. Business 101

then it starts messing with my service and engagement's workload and surprise, now GM is backup cashiering because the three cashiers we needed right now were cut to make up for payroll being overspent on the salesfloor.
So GM isn't being given enough hours to do their tasks. But when they are given hours, you decide to take those hours back by making GM TMs work as cashiers.

You are a terrible leader. A good leader would think of the needs of the business in general and how they can lead their team to support that. Your outlook is "me, me, me".

So GM isn't being given enough hours to do their tasks. But when they are given hours, you decide to take those hours back by making GM TMs work as cashiers.

You are a terrible leader. A good leader would think of the needs of the business in general and how they can lead their team to support that. Your outlook is "me, me, me".

I'm not seeing what is so awful here. If GM is using hours that were alloted for front end operations and that results in the front not having enough people, it's perfectly reasonable for the front to call for backup. Many stores intentionally reallocate hours from the front to other workcenters because they know the front can call for backup. If GM takes 8 hours from S&E and 2 of those hours end up going back to S&E through backups, GM still comes out 6 hours ahead of where they should be.

The bigger issue is figuring out why GM always needs more hours. Is it because they aren't being given enough by corporate, they aren't spending what they have efficiently, or a mix of both? That's something store directors should be taking a close look at because taking hours from the front makes it difficult for the front to do anything beyond the basics of checking guests out and processing returns. The engagement that corporate wants goes out the window by necessity.

here is the end all: Logistics eats hours. or workload is determined by what comes off that truck, not what is projected to come off that truck but by what is actually on that beast when it docks. it is not some set thing it will and can change. did the loaders at the DC take the brown acid? well then guess what it will take longer. Is it near one of the major seasons (Christmas, Halloween and the like) those unloads can get painful. you take up the steel with all your fancy modernization well more pain. get rid of the Backroom team and it associated leads including the ETL well hold on fellas this ride is going down hill in a dumpster that is on fire with a bunch of rabid weasels with anger issues and we are all in it for the ride to the bottom.

Cutting the LOG team was the worst idea to come out of the backside of Mr Pepsi in a long time.

in short target does not get logistics and needs to schedule dedicated hours to complete those tasks by a trained team of individuals able to operate semi independently. to do less is to court disaster

Your outlook is "me, me, me".
ASANTS, but this seems to be the mantra of the vast majority of ETLs. In my many years at Spot I only worked with one ETL who put the welfare of the store above the welfare of her department. This ETL also treated her team and everyone else like human beings, so of course Spot made her life as miserable as possible before forcing her out when Modernization hit. Looking at you, Mr. Asshat DTL.

are you illiterate or just choosing to ignore what i’m saying?

now GM is backup cashiering because the three cashiers we needed right now were cut to make up for payroll being overspent on the salesfloor.

it’s not my fault or my job to plan around GM going 1,000 hours over what they were allocated. my job is to support our guests experience and if they take away three of my cashiers during peak time, which has happened to me before, i’m going to call backup cashiers to ensure that our guests are getting a fast checkout. because that’s my job.

so next time, learn what the hell you’re talking about before you decide to add your irrelevant two cents to a conversation. thanks.

Wow what's your problem. That's so unnecessarily rude

are you illiterate or just choosing to ignore what i’m saying?

it’s not my fault or my job to plan around GM going 1,000 hours over what they were allocated. my job is to support our guests experience and if they take away three of my cashiers during peak time, which has happened to me before, i’m going to call backup cashiers to ensure that our guests are getting a fast checkout. because that’s my job.

so next time, learn what the hell you’re talking about before you decide to add your irrelevant two cents to a conversation. thanks.
How the hell does the gm etl go 1000 over and still have a job lol

^^ I don't doubt it. The turnover in my store is just abysmal since the rollout. Last Q4 we were a star in our district. Now? Most definitely not. I think the Powers That Be have set up camp in my store, that's how far it has fallen in just a few short months.
Same, almost all of the good team members have left at my store, I have never seen so many people quit at once! There are just a few left for now. We can't even keep new team members as most just quit or leave for jobs with better hours. Only reason I am staying is I get around mid 30s to 40 hours but who knows time will tell.

Last edited:
I work in a store that piloted a lot of the changes now rolling out, and we really saw that last year. They are alot if the frontend payroll. This year is opposite. So hang in.

When I left there were two other TMs in apparel also on their two weeks and they had just fired another TM in our department a week earlier, they gave an inbound TM my Friday night closing shift because they didn't have anyone else and she was not happy...
Turnover that fast in a store can't be helpful...

I hear rumors that HQ is now trying to save face. When modernization rolled out it was hardcore get on board or get out. Now there's new directives at fixing retention/turn over. Anyone else hear this?

I would guess in my district roughly 65-70% of the really good/decent Veteran TMs that we’re all cross trained and knew the processes (ETLs, TLs, TMs) with 5+ years experience have left in the last 6 months.

Leaders were specifically instructed to push out any TMs that resisted modernization. Crappy schedules, constantly changing expectations, coaching for everything no matter how small and severe reduction in hours 35+ to 8-12.

These people have been replaced with 18-20 year old kids (no offense) who for many is their first job. They are getting roughly 12-16 hours a week and almost 0 training.

I’m not totally sure but I remember hearing from someone (can’t remember who) and it could be a rumor but Corporate was planning on a 70% turnover rate with modernization.

It’s a recipe for disaster

I would guess in my district roughly 65-70% of the really good/decent Veteran TMs that we’re all cross trained and knew the processes (ETLs, TLs, TMs) with 5+ years experience have left in the last 6 months.

Leaders were specifically instructed to push out any TMs that resisted modernization. Crappy schedules, constantly changing expectations, coaching for everything no matter how small and severe reduction in hours 35+ to 8-12.

These people have been replaced with 18-20 year old kids (no offense) who for many is their first job. They are getting roughly 12-16 hours a week and almost 0 training.

I’m not totally sure but I remember hearing from someone (can’t remember who) and it could be a rumor but Corporate was planning on a 70% turnover rate with modernization.

It’s a recipe for disaster
It is probably somewhere near 90% retail as a whole just has high turn over. But I hear from an operations director a lot of stores are not doing operation processes. Transitions, price changes, etc. Nobody is trained and all too busy pushing the truck.

It is probably somewhere near 90% retail as a whole just has high turn over. But I hear from an operations director a lot of stores are not doing operation processes. Transitions, price changes, etc. Nobody is trained and all too busy pushing the truck.

Turnover at my store before modernization was about 30%. After it’s definitely up around 70-75%

This was a interesting article about Target cutting hours

its been discussed quite a bit already in this thread In the news.... - https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/in-the-news.18507/page-87#post-547582

My store has tried to kill off our Plano team twice now, and both times, it ended up coming back because either the revisions and even transitions didn't get done, and because the salesfloor team couldn't complete the workload in the amount of time the Plano team took. I'm curious how long we'll get away with giving them the revisions, since they get scheduled under Hardlines with the shift tag "POG". Couldn't we be at least a little bit more subtle?

My store has tried to kill off our Plano team twice now, and both times, it ended up coming back because either the revisions and even transitions didn't get done, and because the salesfloor team couldn't complete the workload in the amount of time the Plano team took. I'm curious how long we'll get away with giving them the revisions, since they get scheduled under Hardlines with the shift tag "POG". Couldn't we be at least a little bit more subtle?

SD was shocked that revisions aren't getting done. A lot was pinned on a former GMTL but it's not all their fault. TMs have no idea or do it wrong. Even plano team tied a new reset for a 20' foot aisle and didn't bother to find the label strips. That was 4 days ago, and it's still not done. Even plano team, or what's left of it, has started cutting corners and it's noticeable. A dozen or so entire aisle POGs died over the summer because no one thought it was important to do revisions.

Back