Archived 48 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told working 48 hours this week is allowed because we already receive time and a half for our Thanksgiving shift.
In a legal sense, the hours that will wind up at 150% pay have to be the ones beyond 40, those I work Friday or Saturday. Does this mean I am working Thanksgiving at straight pay?

Last edited:
You'll be paid holiday pay (time and a half) for the hours you work Thurs. I'm assuming that's 8? So for the other hours for the rest of your shifts, as long as those don't exceed 40, it's regular pay. I know it doesn't make sense because you would think you would get the time and a half for the hours you work on the day(s) you hit over 40 but that's not how it works.

That's how it always was in MI. Quite a few HR ETL's didn't understand it and wouldn't want tm's to work over 40 during holiday weeks. Those of us who had been around awhile would have to insist they educate themselves about it.

Holiday weeks are a great opportunity to get a nice paycheck for tm's. Especially if you can work a crapton of hours on the holiday, then 40 the rest of the week.

Your hours up to 40 are classed as "regular," while anything over that would be overtime. However, all hours worked in Thanksgiving are classed as "holiday pay" and the rate is the same as the overtime rate. So if you work 8 hours on Mon, Tues, Wed, and Thurs, you will have worked 24 regular hours and 8 holiday hours, leaving you with another 16 hours to go before you hit overtime.

Lucky, I asked my LoD and HR if I could take a shift thanksgiving that was available and i was refused because it would exceed 40 hrs that week -.-

Our store is holding everyone to 40 hrs max including Thanksgiving. The only extras we'll see are time & a half on Thurs & $1 shift diff where applicable.
January is an hours desert so take the money & run.

Holiday weeks are a great opportunity to get a nice paycheck for tm's. Especially if you can work a crapton of hours on the holiday, then 40 the rest of the week.

I only work 4 hours on Black Friday and get 20 hours next week, half of what I worked last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back