Archived annual merit raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have a good working relationship with your coworkers, if they would go against you for being paid fairly.
Sure I do. I work with them all day, 5 days a week. We help with each others work without even being asked to, we take lunch together and shoot the shit, and we have a camaraderie through all of the bs we deal with on a daily basis. One TM even invited us to his wedding.

Sure I do. I work with them all day, 5 days a week. We help with each others work without even being asked to, we take lunch together and shoot the shit, and we have a camaraderie through all of the bs we deal with on a daily basis. One TM even invited us to his wedding.

No, you don't. You can't have it both ways. It's literally a contradiction to say you have a good working relationship with your peers, but you can't even talk about something as simple as wages. You're possibly doing them a disservice too, if any of them get paid less than you, for the same work, assuming it's the norm. The only reason you don't tell people is because it's uncomfortable to talk about. The fact that you are reading this thread shows you see some importance to have knowledge about what people in your position get paid.

Also, you don't even know if you're getting the most you can be paid, because you don't talk about wages. You're the person in the video, "I guess this is what everyone gets paid."

Why would they be mad at you, and not the person responsible for paying them?

Because when a bunch of guys like a girl, other girls hate the guys who like her and not the girl right?

Get real

Unfortunately we live in a world where people take out their frustration and jealously on people doing better than them even if they have nothing to do with that.

Because when a bunch of guys like a girl, other girls hate the guys who like her and not the girl right?

Get real

Unfortunately we live in a world where people take out their frustration and jealously on people doing better than them even if they have nothing to do with that.

Yeah, I don't get why people keep trying to justify that behavior. If people act like thay, then those people are wrong, and you shouldn't tolerate that behavior. I would never encourage someone to not make a positive decision for themselves because some of their peers might have an immature response. That's fucking terrible. You might as well tell an obese person not to go to the gym because someone might make fun of them.

It's amazing the lengths someone will go to protect their right to be so regressive.

@SFSFun, you don't have to justify your decision to share or NOT share your pay rate.
Not everybody works with people mature enough to recognize pay disparities & you shouldn't be pressured to give out info you deem to be no body else's business.
One man's transparency is another man's nosiness.

No, you don't. You can't have it both ways. It's literally a contradiction to say you have a good working relationship with your peers, but you can't even talk about something as simple as wages.
I have a good relationship with them currently, but as mentioned, one of them would likely make it harder if I disclosed how much I make.

You're possibly doing them a disservice too, if any of them get paid less than you, for the same work, assuming it's the norm.
It's up to them to want to discuss how much they make. Not everyone works as hard as everyone else, and some of them have attitude problems that they don't even attempt to hide in front of leadership. I also take total ownership of everything Flexible Fulfillment, which is also not the norm for other BRTMs.

The only reason you don't tell people is because it's uncomfortable to talk about.
And the whole wanting to avoid ruining my work environment thing.

The fact that you are reading this thread shows you see some importance to have knowledge about what people in your position get paid.
I started reading the thread because I wanted to know how the raises were structured under the new system. I now know for sure that DEO is 5% (or 6% for TLs) and DIO is 2.7%. It doesn't seem to vary at all based on store performance like it did in past years.

Also, you don't even know if you're getting the most you can be paid, because you don't talk about wages.
I do know, because my store raised the base pay rate several times (beyond what Target was raising it to nationally). Other TMs were talking about it and I found out that they all made the same new rate. Then at the next review I got the highest score, which gives me the highest possible raise. This is a massive retail company...they don't randomly go around giving TMs extra merit raises. I could maybe see the benefit if this was an office environment and there was more secrecy involved in base pay and the available raise percentages.

You're the person in the video, "I guess this is what everyone gets paid."
I haven't had a chance to watch that clip yet, but I assure you I don't think that.

@SFSFun, you don't have to justify your decision to share or NOT share your pay rate.
Not everybody works with people mature enough to recognize pay disparities & you shouldn't be pressured to give out info you deem to be no body else's business.
One man's transparency is another man's nosiness.
Oh I know, but I'm bored and stuck at my other job right now, so I figured I might as well kill some time by indulging @Target NPC in an argument.

. I would never encourage someone to not make a positive decision for themselves because some of their peers might have an immature response

I don't see how sharing your wage in a place like Target is a positive decision. If we make more than the person next to us it's usually by a matter of pennies.

Since there is very little of negotiating of wages where we work, your example doesn't really apply.

The majority of us were told what the pay was, accepted and have been working for any increase we got.

I am intrigued by Redeye indulging in a conversation with someone she's supposedly ignoring. Awww, that's so cute and retarded.

Anyway, fact of the matter is, transparency on wages has more benefits than it does consequences. Whether it's something you chose to do or not, is of course your choice. But if your reasoning is that sharing wages is bad for "mystery what ifs," then you're reasoning might be flawed. Good luck in your professional pursuits, you'll need it!

That's a good analogy.
I don't see how sharing your wage in a place like Target is a positive decision.
This.
So many of the kids I work with grouse about their pay/raises but don't want to listen when the TL points out their poor attendance, leaving tasks undone (or doing them crappily), standing around texting instead of stocking up supplies, etc.
Sharing my wage would turn it into unnecessary drama; don't need that noise.
Never mind that I've been there years longer & worked hard to get those EXs.

Last edited:
I feel like you're trying to broaden the scope of what I said beyond what I intended.

In this instance, regarding only my employment at Target, I do not care to share my wage info with TMs at my store due to specific reasons involving a specific TM. I don't care if other people at my store choose to do it, and I can see how it benefits myself by knowing how much they get paid.

At my union job, I'm fine with discussing wages because they're based 100% on seniority and hours worked, and the wage chart is displayed in the union contract.

I feel like you're trying to broaden the scope of what I said beyond what I intended.

In this instance, regarding only my employment at Target, I do not care to share my wage info with TMs at my store due to specific reasons involving a specific TM. I don't care if other people at my store choose to do it, and I can see how it benefits myself by knowing how much they get paid.

At my union job, I'm fine with discussing wages because they're based 100% on seniority and hours worked, and the wage chart is displayed in the union contract.

Perhaps the best solution would be to make Target a union job as well.
That way nobody would have a problem discussing what they get paid.
Just saying...

Why does anyone need to know what anyone else makes? Union definitely is not the answer. It will cost you more just to find out what Sally is making. Honestly its none of my business what she makes. Nor hers what I make. Please remember a pay raise is not required so be thankful when you get one. Worked for a company who had a freeze on raises (for all pay levels.) It sucked but it didn't change my work ethic.

Who would work for a business that never gave a raise?

Perhaps the best solution would be to make Target a union job as well.
That way nobody would have a problem discussing what they get paid.
Just saying...
No because in my experience, the union reps are completely spineless and only do what's best for the company and the full time workers. Then they convince the part-timers it's the best deal we can get.

I make more at Target than I do at the union job (where I've worked for much longer). My experience has been that Target rewards my hard work with consistent hours performance-based pay increases. The union employer only does what's required in the contract, so raises and hours are based on seniority and being a hard worker doesn't get you anything.

My wife was a teacher in NJ when they froze wages for four years. No raises at all.
For two of those years they also made the teachers pay more into their pension fund and insurance so my wife was actually making less money each year.
And people say teachers are just in it for the money.

I want my review. Started at the new store but only had one shift so far. Going to inquire next shift. The raise should go into effect I just won't have the actual text review right? Or at the very least it should retroactively calculate any missed time on the new rate.

I want my review. Started at the new store but only had one shift so far. Going to inquire next shift. The raise should go into effect I just won't have the actual text review right? Or at the very least it should retroactively calculate any missed time on the new rate.
If you just transferred, I wouldn't expect to have anyone there deliver your review since they could only read what someone else wrote about you. Maybe HR could get a copy for you though.

Your raise will still go through. You should see it on your next paycheck (if you get paid this week, it should already be available on eHR).

I just got my review today. A ten cent raise. I'm not unhappy but not necessarily happy since my ETL has been cutting my hours like crazy.

Thanks @SFSFun. I think my old HR said my new TL/ETL would read verbatim so it's delivered and I sign it. I'll ask tomorrow when I work again!

Sometimes you don't realize how long its been... plus every year you think surely this year will be the one. Hubby has gotten one in ten years. He works 50-60 hrs a week though...

I've never worked anywhere that didn't give you a raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back