Archived annual merit raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. Everyone's raise should be posted for everyone to see.

IF they did that, you'd see that hardly ANYONE gets 5%. THAT'S why it's so hush hush.

True. In my workcenter, only 10% of TM's got 5%. Might seem like a high number, but our store hits almost every goal (Red Cards, sales, etc).

Got my tshirt today and it looks nice. Don't want to give myself away by posting it publicly but you can message me if ya want to see it.

Last edited:
Minimum wage is going up a nice chunk in my area, so I'm getting at least a 10% pay raise no matter what. It takes a lot of the anticipation/surprise out of the review process, because I imagine the difference between the grades will have almost no impact on how much most of the TMs near the new minimum will be paid.

That's fine with me, I gave up on the meritocratic idea of Target around the time I realized that I got much more positive feedback from the leadership when I ignored guests and half-assed everything than when I did a thorough job and talked to every guest.

So, last year minimum wage went up 50 cents in my area, so Target rolled the increases up to that into the performance increase. This year, it is going up in a few months by 1.50. Yeah, so Target said "uh f that" and gave people the usual tiny raises, basically telling everyone they can wait till the minimum wage goes into effect. Which means performance reviews basically don't matter for most tms lol because it is going up to 15 over the next several years. Pretty funny

To make things worse, they are bumping up to new minimum a month after bumping the market team paygrade up, effectively insuring that the paygrade increase is meaningless. I guess if I quit and got rehired for Market a few months after the minimum goes up I would actually make more haha

Anyway multiple market tms are threatening to quit, and the team was already understaffed

To make things worse, they are bumping up to new minimum a month after bumping the market team paygrade up, effectively insuring that the paygrade increase is meaningless. I guess if I quit and got rehired for Market a few months after the minimum goes up I would actually make more haha
That's not how it works. The paygrade is a certain amount higher than the base pay. So if the minimum wage is raised above the base pay, Target will then raise the base to match it (or higher), and the paygrades will remain the same amount higher than base.

If your market team got a 50 cent bump by moving from PG03 to PG07, they will still end up 50 cents higher than PG03.

That seems to be the way to go then. I wouldn't expect them to change your raise, but it will cause them some discomfort trying to justify it to others.

Except you still have to work with your coworkers and get along with them. I work with someone who is a very hard worker, yet has a terrible attitude on display at all times. Always bitching about other people not doing their jobs correctly and threw a fit when we raised the base pay so almost everyone on Flow/BR was making the same amount, regardless of tenure.

This TM has complained about their pay before, and I happen to know that I make more. Why would I announce how much I make if it's just going to piss off my coworkers?

That is absurd. There is zero benefit to being secretive about wages. If you believe in wage gaps, that lack of transparency is a huge contributing factor. If a coworker responds poorly to you being paid fairly for the work you do, then that's their problem. Why make that YOUR problem? In the example of your shitty coworker, I think they're getting the money they deserve if they have as bad of an attitude as you said.

There's a difference between telling someone what you got if they ask, and "announcing it to piss people off." Don't be ridiculous for the sake of the argument.

Don't be ridiculous for the sake of the argument.

I get the point though. Some people are that pretty and that jealous that they would take the news of you making more than them personally because they wouldn't understand you have earned it.

While on balance it is good for us to share and compare. I don't believe it's wise to share with everyone.

I can see everyone's pay and when I saw how our vmtl makes twice as much as some tms in other states it made me angry. I can only imagine the distress it would cause a regular tm.

Still no review and I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start asking about that. Looks like this week's paycheck has my raise on it though. A ~2.75% raise if I'm doing the math right. Yay.

I get the point though. Some people are that pretty and that jealous that they would take the news of you making more than them personally because they wouldn't understand you have earned it.

While on balance it is good for us to share and compare. I don't believe it's wise to share with everyone.

I can see everyone's pay and when I saw how our vmtl makes twice as much as some tms in other states it made me angry. I can only imagine the distress it would cause a regular tm.

So I'll redirect you to the rest of my responce, which you failed to quote for some reason.... "There's a difference between telling someone what you got if they ask, and 'announcing it to piss people off'."

That is absurd. There is zero benefit to being secretive about wages.
The benefit is as I stated above, avoiding unnecessary conflicts with my coworkers.

If you believe in wage gaps, that lack of transparency is a huge contributing factor.
I believe in performance-based raises. I know there are three different levels of raises, and that's all the transparency I need. I don't care what anyone else makes as long as I fell like I am being compensated properly.

If a coworker responds poorly to you being paid fairly for the work you do, then that's their problem. Why make that YOUR problem?
They would make it my problem by being less helpful, less friendly, and directing their bad attitude at me. In the backroom and SFS, we all have to work together and help each other out since the workload varies from day to day.

In the example of your shitty coworker, I think they're getting the money they deserve if they have as bad of an attitude as you said.
I agree.

There's a difference between telling someone what you got if they ask, and "announcing it to piss people off."
I didn't say I would "announce it to piss people off," but what I meant by "announcing" it was disclosing it if it came up in a conversation.

Don't be ridiculous for the sake of the argument.
What part is ridiculous?

The benefit is as I stated above, avoiding unnecessary conflicts with my coworkers.

I believe in performance-based raises. I know there are three different levels of raises, and that's all the transparency I need. I don't care what anyone else makes as long as I fell like I am being compensated properly.

They would make it my problem by being less helpful, less friendly, and directing their bad attitude at me. In the backroom and SFS, we all have to work together and help each other out since the workload varies from day to day.

I agree.

I didn't say I would "announce it to piss people off," but what I meant by "announcing" it was disclosing it if it came up in a conversation.

What part is ridiculous?

Why would there be a conflict? Because you know how to get paid for the work you do? They can't retaliate against you. Why would they be mad at you, and not the person responsible for paying them? Employers actually hope you have that fear, because being secretive on wages is what keeps wages low. You should be able to tell your coworkers what you earn, and hope that encourages them to either shape up, or ask for a raise themselves if they're good workers. If anyone takes out their frustrations on you, someone with zero control over their paycheck, then they're a sociopath. That minority of people doesn't mean you need to be confidential about how much money you make.

Why would there be a conflict? Because you know how to get paid for the work you do? They can't retaliate against you. Why would they be mad at you, and not the person responsible for paying them? Employers actually hope you have that fear, because being secretive on wages is what keeps wages low. You should be able to tell your coworkers what you earn, and hope that encourages them to either shape up, or ask for a raise themselves if they're good workers. If anyone takes out their frustrations on you, someone with zero control over their paycheck, then they're a sociopath. That minority of people doesn't mean you need to be confidential about how much money you make.

The conflict would be when they expect me to be perfect and start nitpicking every mistake, finding excuses not to help when my workload is high, and constantly shit-talking about me behind my back. They reacted something like that in Q4 when I was allowed to work far more OT hours than anyone else.

I think what you're saying is very logical. The problem, though, is that most people aren't very logical, especially when they're frustrated.

There hasn't been much wage-talk amongst TMs this year, but last year I remember a few people claiming leadership was just choosing favorites, and we even had one person accuse our STL of racism because they didn't get a better raise.

Even though these people SHOULD understand that as TMs we have no say in our raise, their frustration will almost always inevitably leak out and be directed at their peers as their resentment grows.

That being said, 95% of the time I've heard people complain about their raise being too low (in comparison to fellow TMs, not just talking about pitiful raises in general) they're actually pretty crappy TMs who are just lying to themselves and telling themselves they deserve more, just because. But that's not the point. The point is that they believe they're doing the exact same quality/amount of work, they're getting less, and maybe it's not TM Sally's fault, but when Sally clocks out and the STL basically hands her $10 and gives you nothing, eventually you're gonna start to resent Sally, even if only on a subconscious level.

So while I completely agree that transparency in regards to wages can only benefit TMs, that's also assuming that every TM is mature enough to be able to objectively look at their performance and whatnot.

I think what you're saying is very logical. The problem, though, is that most people aren't very logical, especially when they're frustrated.

There hasn't been much wage-talk amongst TMs this year, but last year I remember a few people claiming leadership was just choosing favorites, and we even had one person accuse our STL of racism because they didn't get a better raise.

Even though these people SHOULD understand that as TMs we have no say in our raise, their frustration will almost always inevitably leak out and be directed at their peers as their resentment grows.

That being said, 95% of the time I've heard people complain about their raise being too low (in comparison to fellow TMs, not just talking about pitiful raises in general) they're actually pretty crappy TMs who are just lying to themselves and telling themselves they deserve more, just because. But that's not the point. The point is that they believe they're doing the exact same quality/amount of work, they're getting less, and maybe it's not TM Sally's fault, but when Sally clocks out and the STL basically hands her $10 and gives you nothing, eventually you're gonna start to resent Sally, even if only on a subconscious level.

So while I completely agree that transparency in regards to wages can only benefit TMs, that's also assuming that every TM is mature enough to be able to objectively look at their performance and whatnot.

This says a lot more about the kind of people who work retail, and who work retail long term. Regardless, that doesn't justify confidentiality on wages. It's an explanation of people being stupid.

The conflict would be when they expect me to be perfect and start nitpicking every mistake, finding excuses not to help when my workload is high, and constantly shit-talking about me behind my back. They reacted something like that in Q4 when I was allowed to work far more OT hours than anyone else.

Who cares, you don't answer to them, you answer to your boss. But hey, if you're going to let some dumbass stranger stand between you and a good wage, go right ahead. Just know it's your fault, not anyone else's.

Who cares, you don't answer to them, you answer to your boss. But hey, if you're going to let some dumbass stranger stand between you and a good wage, go right ahead. Just know it's your fault, not anyone else's.
I would prefer to have a good working relationship with the people I work with, and not have to go whine to the LOD every time I need help with my work.

What exactly do you think will happen if I get my review and tell this TM how much I make (assuming they bring it up first)? I know what the base pay was before reviews last year (they raised it significantly enough so that everyone was at base), and I know that I got the highest raise offered. So pay pay couldn't possibly be any higher than it already is. As long as I keep up my performance and keep receiving the highest score, I'll be happy with what I make at my entry-level retail job.

I would prefer to have a good working relationship with the people I work with, and not have to go whine to the LOD every time I need help with my work.

What exactly do you think will happen if I get my review and tell this TM how much I make (assuming they bring it up first)? I know what the base pay was before reviews last year (they raised it significantly enough so that everyone was at base), and I know that I got the highest raise offered. So pay pay couldn't possibly be any higher than it already is. As long as I keep up my performance and keep receiving the highest score, I'll be happy with what I make at my entry-level retail job.

You don't have a good working relationship with your coworkers, if they would go against you for being paid fairly.

we'll some executives got a cut in pay

The corporate headquarters at Target has been in turmoil and a pro-family organization knows one reason why.

As reported by Fox News and other outlets, many of the people on Target's ten-member executive team have changed over the last two years, some of them over the past few months.

read the rest here:

Already reeling, Target executives see salaries slashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back