At what point do you call for backup ?

Mycheckout

official rule is 1+1. There should not be more than two people at your lane, one that you’re helping plus one waiting, that’s when you call for backup. In practicality, I’d call at 2-3 waiting

Starbucks cannot leave; food service have a totally separate set of rules. Things during coronavirus are obviously different. My thoughts are 3 ppl at each lane. You see multiple people coming to checkout, can you redirect them(it’s a balance) ? I agree having the FOSA on before a floor tm but those are usually the times 9/10 there’s carry outs/spills etc. it’s better to give them the line buster so they can finish easily. If the store in general is light staffed calling backup should be used when the lines don’t move for 3-4 minutes. Guests can wait. If you are using all the tools you have not much more can be done. You remain calm; the team is calm and can help guests stay calm.
Also, remember if you no longer need backup cancel over walkie immediately; always thank them; and ALWAYS make sure they are the relieved as soon as possible 😉

Last edited:
Im assuming you're in charge of watching the lanes. My store only lets cashiers call for backup if the sco line is long and there's 3 guests waiting in your lane line. So if thay is the case, ask your TL what they prefer you do. However, if you are watching the lanes- You want to walk out in front of the lanes and if you have 1 guest at the register and one waiting then any other guest that gets in line is considered too many. Walk to your racetrack and watch the flow of guests. If you see guests with cart or baskets full then antispate backup if sco line is long and your register is 1 on 1. I tell tms its OK if you take one guest, we got to get the line down.

If we have enough carts, I'll ask the cart attendant. I always as the GS team if they have a body to spare. I pretty much call for back up when it is 1+2 or 3. I'm a closer and the sales floor team knows that when I call, I need it and I have exhausted all my other options. I will also either jump on a lane and take a few people or I will replace the SCO person and have them jump on. After about 7 or so, I just become the SCO person for the rest of the night.

Starbucks and Food Ave definitely shouldn't back up--even if they're not helping a guest right now, they need to be there in case someone does come (in addition to other tasks). My store usually pulls from GS and OPU first before asking the sales floor, but some SETLs have zero respect for sales floor TMs' time and take advantage, IMO. Call too quick and try to keep them as long as possible.

Can u please start asking Starbucks, food Avenue, guest service or cart attendant. These people are not always helping guests and they need to be the one backing up, not us sales floor

Uhh, Starbucks is usually 1 person, alone. At most, they sometimes have two people. They're definitely not helping backup a register, not should they ever be expected to. Cart Attendants have plenty of their own shit to do, their tasks are no less important than yours. Guest Service are the first asked to help with backup if their is more than one person there. If there's only one person there guests are instead sent to guest service to check out.

Starbucks and Food Ave definitely shouldn't back up--even if they're not helping a guest right now, they need to be there in case someone does come (in addition to other tasks). My store usually pulls from GS and OPU first before asking the sales floor, but some SETLs have zero respect for sales floor TMs' time and take advantage, IMO. Call too quick and try to keep them as long as possible.
Unfortunately, my beloved ETL does this sometimes.

Can u please start asking Starbucks, food Avenue, guest service or cart attendant. These people are not always helping guests and they need to be the one backing up, not us sales floor

Starbucks will never be asked to back up unless they have too many people scheduled. It's not like just anyone can make a latte, but anyone can zone and push.

Starbucks will never be asked to back up unless they have too many people scheduled. It's not like just anyone can make a latte, but anyone can zone and push.

Really? You should see how some of that zone and push gets done when my ETL gets desperate gives in and schedules a cashier or cart attendant to help in GM. It's normally not very pretty. Not that I think Starbucks should back up or anything, but making a latte is like anything else: anyone can do it once they've been taught how. It's not rocket science or more difficult than setting an endcap.

making a latte is like anything else: anyone can do it once they've been taught how. It's not rocket science or more difficult than setting an endcap.
I wouldn't submit anyone to that, given the karens that would eviscerate them for too much foam, too watery, wrong milk, burnt shots, not hot enough, etc, etc, etc - the list is endless.

"Style can you backup up? "
We've done it 4 times so far in 2 hours.
"Gm can you help?"
*3different voices saying they are guest first*
"Beauty , could you help on a lane?"
I'm the only one here and guest first too

Que me in tech laughing over hereing this over 4 minutes
"If you want techs dead , you can send a guest or two my way"
*crickets over 30 seconds*
"Style send 2 people to the lanes, your reward is a 5 minute break"
Ok were coming.

"Style can you backup up? "
We've done it 4 times so far in 2 hours.
"Gm can you help?"
*3different voices saying they are guest first*
"Beauty , could you help on a lane?"
I'm the only one here and guest first too

Que me in tech laughing over hereing this over 4 minutes
"If you want techs dead , you can send a guest or two my way"
*crickets over 30 seconds*
"Style send 2 people to the lanes, your reward is a 5 minute break"
Ok were coming.
Ugh, do some stores really say "guest first"? I would cringe every time I heard that!

Back