Archived crazy random idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's actually the "theory" in A&A (kinda started in Q4). We can only place 2 sizes of each item (shirt, pant, etc) on the shelves. We can only place 2 (max) of each size of hanging apparel. We do not extend the arms of our fixtures. We are discouraged from adding arms to hand product below (on quads).
So.... to @GuitarNBassGuy 's point...... it's less to zone, (less merch falls to the floor, too) and we have more time for our Guests.

***The part that wasn't thought through was the amount of time it takes to backstock this product, every day we have a truck. Oh.... and when you sell 1 of those shirts.... you need to run and get another one from the backroom! So now our face-time and Guest interaction has been lessened.

Obviously, it's still a work in progress.

We just culled all our departments. Crazy amounts of hanging backstock. Ordered like 100 more black hooks for underhanging. Rafters are packed. It's hard to get stuff back out once it's sold. We have struggle to come clean with the trucks, so constantly checking the back isn't really happening. When I can I have been bringing whole brands out and checking size representation. Like, boys c9. Lemme just bring out a whole z and repush. How am I supposed to just know that the lime green graphic tee needs 2 larges and a small. But for like EVERY RACK there's stuff not represented.

I don't mind the idea of limiting stock. The racks are definitely more shoppable. And guests are more likely to buy when there's only 2 in their size. If there's like a ton of their size our guests are more likely to wait for it to go clearance. But I hate the idea of things just hitting clearance in the backroom.

make the aisle widers, shelves shallower and shorter,
less space for inventory = more time to zone and guest interaction

like a boss

Except they cut payroll and now stuff sits on z-racks not ever being put up as backstock and with no payroll the softlines peeps just have enough to get the truck sort of pushed and keep reshop from exploding all over. So picking SFS orders just got a lot harder since now in the panic of lack of z racks they just take anything and hang it where they find space. Need that girls art class sweater? good luck! Cause where girls is supposed to be has mens hanging there and no one actually knows if girls is hanging anywhere or on one of the 10 zracks that is buried behind all the market U-boats in the main stockroom..

Rather see the floor a little heavy and have a chance of finding something than a wild goose chase when no one can tell me where anything is since the system has been failed.

That's actually the "theory" in A&A (kinda started in Q4). We can only place 2 sizes of each item (shirt, pant, etc) on the shelves. We can only place 2 (max) of each size of hanging apparel. We do not extend the arms of our fixtures. We are discouraged from adding arms to hand product below (on quads).
So.... to @GuitarNBassGuy 's point...... it's less to zone, (less merch falls to the floor, too) and we have more time for our Guests.

***The part that wasn't thought through was the amount of time it takes to backstock this product, every day we have a truck. Oh.... and when you sell 1 of those shirts.... you need to run and get another one from the backroom! So now our face-time and Guest interaction has been lessened.

Obviously, it's still a work in progress.
It also really hurts SFS having to RFID scan for everything in back because someone bought the one that was on the floor.

It also really hurts SFS having to RFID scan for everything in back because someone bought the one that was on the floor.
It's a mix at my store. Our sales floor is more organized so that's a plus. It really hurt before we got the extra RFID scanners as 1 scanner for 4-8 people was a stretch, but we've changed things to basically be mainside backroom, shoes, softlines, NIT, rest of the floor, secondary backroom then bulk steel. We had to change pathing have softlines be first to come up so we can start with backroom RFID scan first. It hurts us that we can't jump to NOP softlines, but at least we can pull it up on the list and needing 2 of the same size is the exception not the rule.

It's a mix at my store. Our sales floor is more organized so that's a plus. It really hurt before we got the extra RFID scanners as 1 scanner for 4-8 people was a stretch, but we've changed things to basically be mainside backroom, shoes, softlines, NIT, rest of the floor, secondary backroom then bulk steel. We had to change pathing have softlines be first to come up so we can start with backroom RFID scan first. It hurts us that we can't jump to NOP softlines, but at least we can pull it up on the list and needing 2 of the same size is the exception not the rule.
I always RFID scan the floor first, since most things are out on the floor, and softlines comes mostly in the middle of our batches.

I always RFID scan the floor first, since most things are out on the floor, and softlines comes mostly in the middle of our batches.

We had to change pathing as ours was originally in the middle as it was in the middle of the store, but unless one person just carries the RFID with them for everything it made more sense to have it pop up as soon as they exit the backroom while they are still close to the RFID charging station than get to the middle of the store not find it then have to go get the scanner then check the backroom then go back out to the floor.

Prior to End to End implementation we always did the floor first, but then if we had to check the floor and it wasn't there when we found it in back we pulled it down for softlines to push. With End to End there is supposed to be only 2 sizes per type so yes while they are more likely it be out on the floor it helps our softlines team for us to not mess up their zone or make them pull from the back when they are still struggling at getting people to own their areas.

Except they cut payroll and now stuff sits on z-racks not ever being put up as backstock and with no payroll the softlines peeps just have enough to get the truck sort of pushed and keep reshop from exploding all over. So picking SFS orders just got a lot harder since now in the panic of lack of z racks they just take anything and hang it where they find space. Need that girls art class sweater? good luck! Cause where girls is supposed to be has mens hanging there and no one actually knows if girls is hanging anywhere or on one of the 10 zracks that is buried behind all the market U-boats in the main stockroom..

Rather see the floor a little heavy and have a chance of finding something than a wild goose chase when no one can tell me where anything is since the system has been failed.

Can I get an "AMEN" ?!?!?!?!?!

Can I get an "AMEN" ?!?!?!?!?!

tenor.gif

BTW. I hate the "2 items of each size rule."

dumb.

ain't nobody got time for that. (the constant restocking and maintenance of the Back Stock.)

-
just fill the floor adequately and be done with it

It's actually working reasonably well at my store. They are essentially picking a section and challenging it out to the floor to push everyday and that rotates. SFS pulls from the back first so they don't mess the zone. Depending on that days rotation if it's not on the floor we likely don't have it. Still trying to get softlines to consistently say which section is which day so SFS can pull down what we're searching for but don't find on the floor to add to the challenge.

It's actually working reasonably well at my store. They are essentially picking a section and challenging it out to the floor to push everyday and that rotates. SFS pulls from the back first so they don't mess the zone. Depending on that days rotation if it's not on the floor we likely don't have it. Still trying to get softlines to consistently say which section is which day so SFS can pull down what we're searching for but don't find on the floor to add to the challenge.

Sounds like a good idea. So do you do like, Monday is RTW, Tuesday is mens, etc? Are you bringing everything for said dept back out to check for 2 sizes of everything or just doing a visual check and pulling from the back those items needed?

I'd say I have about maybe 7 or 8 Zs worth of RTW in the back. Some of it had to go way up with the wave. On truck days it's impossible to even get to stuff with flow back there. Tricky for pricing sometimes too.

@isthatathing Not even a whole section like RTW just like add all AND or Xhilaration combine anything small you have as backstock and put it onto a zrack Wednesday night before you leave or even half of it if you have a huge amount of "backstock," then it's added to push for Thursday (the next day) or onto the fitting room to get worked first. One or two Z racks should be manageable depending on coverage. Get the old stuff down with the wave and rotate it out onto the floor before it goes to clearance.

Every year I pull out and condense pride items because when we're down to just a few things the old VML pulls them into the back when they could go out on a quad, we also have pegged columns that work really well for quick small things. Pride has a very limited window for sales and I use it as a teachable moment on how to know product and an area because rainbow sticks out where the black dresses or men's pants may blend together from the ground.

Pick the section you pull down based on who is working the next day to own the specific area. Peak times are for triage, off times are for push.

We do similar scheduling for shoes, as we should never try to zone shoes on a Saturday afternoon, just try to pick the shoes off the floor and if you have time match with the boxes. 95% of people won't take the shoes without the box unless they can't find the box in the first place. Because of this we never schedule the person who actually owns and zones shoes during peak times unless they are training someone to triage shoes on the weekends. They know they are going to walk into a mess, it's the nature of shoes.

@Thunderbird1956 oh. I actually really like that idea. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I don't have any "pride" merch at my store. Not sure where it would even fit. People do ask for it all the time tho.

I think I might try looking at next week's ad and trying to repush those brand blocks before sun
day. Or at least some of it.

I guess one could apply some FIFO thinking too. Say, oh. We backstocked most of that girls cat and jack 2 weeks ago. Let's do that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back