Archived Fall National Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that every time a CEO is brought in to 'fix' things, the first thing they do is cut payroll without regard to the impact it has on the current operation.
It doesn't seem like he's taken a thoughtful approach to see what's working, what's not & what could be tweaked - just more of 'spending bad so cut payroll'.
Such moves are the same old methods that merely appease shareholders in the short run without laying any groundwork for the long run.
Such methods aren't worth what he's being paid.

I think that those doing most of the work... Team Leaders... deserve more than those who are office gophers like most salaried people in the stores.

No, the plain and simple fact that those doing most of the work are your regular team members. Without cashiers, backroom, instocks, market, flow, electronics, front end, hardlines, and soft lines team members, nothing gets done and yet they are the lowest paid.

I think that those doing most of the work... Team Leaders... deserve more than those who are office gophers like most salaried people in the stores.

Not all stores are the same but TL typically cap out at 40 hours a week. My STL works at least 60, i know some are lazy but I hear they take a lot of work home.

TL have fairly good job security. When a store struggles heads roll starting with the STL and ETLs

No, the plain and simple fact that those doing most of the work are your regular team members. Without cashiers, backroom, instocks, market, flow, electronics, front end, hardlines, and soft lines team members, nothing gets done and yet they are the lowest paid.
That's true, but they get paid the least because those jobs take the least amount of skill and experience. We can hire a 16 year old who has never had a job and give them a day of training and then they're ready to be on their own. ETL/STL is a hard job; the proof is that a lot of them are terrible at it. Tons of people hate their ETLs and STLs, but maybe the salaries for those positions aren't high enough to attract the really good candidates. But I think some people hate them because they don't understand the difference between the job descriptions.

I love seeing my STL on a checklane; it earns a lot of respect and shows that she supports the team. But it's a waste of her time to be on the lanes. Time spent on tasks like cashiering/zoning/reshop leaves her with less time to actually run the store. Doing these tasks might help her understand her job better and relate to the team better, but only to a certain degree.

It seems that every time a CEO is brought in to 'fix' things, the first thing they do is cut payroll without regard to the impact it has on the current operation.
It doesn't seem like he's taken a thoughtful approach to see what's working, what's not & what could be tweaked - just more of 'spending bad so cut payroll'.
Such moves are the same old methods that merely appease shareholders in the short run without laying any groundwork for the long run.
Such methods aren't worth what he's being paid.

If I remember correctly, I think when Cornell came in, some of the first things he did was try to add payroll and cut out a lot of unnecessary work. It's the shareholders with the big pockets and tunnel-vision directed at their bank accounts that probably shot it down.

I was actually excited when I saw some of the immediate changed he made. Lower volume stores changed back to 6AM flow process instead of 73O. He made sure that useless set in mini after Christmas disappeared. He even ran a pilot to show shareholders how much more efficiently stores would run by adding 8+ hours to closing shifts to help with the zone.

I'm sure there are other examples out there, but ultimately, he is just handcuffed by those who hold the most $$$. Cornell is no dummy, take a peek at his resume and the turnaround he has made for other companies if you think otherwise.

How much do you think is appropriate for someone who manages a multi-million dollar business?
I'll let you know when they stand up to the DTL and actually so no to some of the stupid ideas that corporates is pushing like cutting hours for 10/ hour jobs that's not saving any money.

I love seeing my STL on a checklane; it earns a lot of respect and shows that she supports the team. But it's a waste of her time to be on the lanes. Time spent on tasks like cashiering/zoning/reshop leaves her with less time to actually run the store. Doing these tasks might help her understand her job better and relate to the team better, but only to a certain degree.

This is true to an extent. But STLs take a lot of work home so I dont believe they need to be sitting in an office. I feel like working with TMs not only gains them respect but also keeps them grounded so they value every TM. An STL who never lifts a finger is more likely to criticize everyone else because they dont understand how difficult our jobs are.

Last edited:
It's the shareholders with the big pockets and tunnel-vision directed at their bank accounts that probably shot it down.
Therein lies about half the problem (or 51%).
It's disheartening when shareholders don't care what it takes to turn a company around so much as the quick profit fixes they can demand, future be damned.

Ive came across many totally clueless ETLs in my time. If not for the TLs, they'd be totally lost.
Only my opinion, but I feel like ETLs shouldn't be experts on specific areas of their areas of the store. I'm one of those people that feel like ETLs should just know a little bit (the important things; transitions, MPG areas, NCF items out the back, etc.) about a lot of things. The main thing I believe an ETL should do is recruit and develop talent. If your ETL is constantly coming to your area and congratulating you on it and recognizing you for your accomplishments then they're doing a big part of their job. This company is run on encouragement and feedback. If your not getting either THEN leadership is failing, if your getting feedback on something they feel they want to see you improve on then you should say okay or have a strong rebuttal for them. Perception is everything I get told on a daily basis from my ETL peers and my TLs who used to be my supervisors, change someone's perception and you can change their attitude......did I stray off topic? :oops:

Last edited:
This. Also, ETLs don't actually make that much more per hour than TLs, if you take into account the fact that they work 50+ hours per week and you reverse engineer it to include 10+ hours of OT; they just work more hours. STLs do make a lot more money, but they are the ones who the DTLs will immediately go after if the store isn't going well, and I doubt they get a whole lot of recognition even if they're doing well; it's more of a feeling of "good enough to pass a visit" than "good job". There are plenty of shitty ETLs and STLs, but their job would still be 100x more stressful than mine even if they sat in the office for 100% of their shifts.

This is very true if it wasn't for bonuses they would basically be salary team leads

Not all stores are the same but TL typically cap out at 40 hours a week. My STL works at least 60, i know some are lazy but I hear they take a lot of work home.
Mine is on conference calls even at home. We're very close and she said her husband always in a joking/not joking way asks her on her days or weekends off if she's REALLY off that day.

Last edited:
This is true to an extent. But STLs take a lot of work home so I dont believe they need to be sittiny in an office. I feel like working with TMs not only gains them respect but also keeps them grounded so they value every TM. An STL who never lifts a finger is more likely to criticize everyone else because they dont understand how difficult our jobs are.
So just so we're on the same page...you're saying that because an STL brings a lot of work home they should be on the floor more so they can bring even more home?

Therein lies about half the problem (or 51%).
It's disheartening when shareholders don't care what it takes to turn a company around so much as the quick profit fixes they can demand, future be damned.
I have 401K through target so my retirement is kind of depending on it just a bit lol

So just so we're on the same page...you're saying that because an STL brings a lot of work home they should be on the floor more so they can bring even more home?

Well my STL is a very hands on guy. When we get behind he loves to jump in. Our flow team was short so he started working the wave until we could hire more hands. I am not saying STLs should work themselves to death but when the store is busy them jumping on really sets the tone. I believe a big reason most of my ETLs help out the front is they look dumb standing there when the STL and TMs are working frantically with our guest.

I almost feel as if an overly pazzive STL will cause the ETLs to follow suit. I hope that make sense.

Well my STL is a very hands on guy. When we get behind he loves to jump in. Our flow team was short so he started working the wave until we could hire more hands. I am not saying STLs should work themselves to death but when the store is busy them jumping on really sets the tone. I believe a big reason most of my ETLs help out the front is they look dumb standing there when the STL and TMs are working frantically with our guest.

I almost feel as if an overly pazzive STL will cause the ETLs to follow suit. I hope that make sense.
YES, okay that makes a lot of sense lol...i was thinking who'd wanna work at home even more than they already do when they already just wanna spend the little time they can with their families....but yes that does make sense...I said it before, i honestly don't feel like an STL should do ANYTHING other than check on transitions and red areas across the store to see why it's red, and then ask the ETL what they're doing to get it green. that's only my opinion...if an STL LIKES to be hands on it's definitely their prerogative but if the STL HAS to be hands on then there's a problem.

Last edited:
IMO the only way to truly know how your store is doing is to get your hands in the processes. Doing so gives a true accounting. The side benefit is respect from the TM's for working elbow to elbow with them. I'm not saying they should be doing that every single day, but at least once or twice a week, pick a dept/process and work it.

If I remember correctly, I think when Cornell came in, some of the first things he did was try to add payroll and cut out a lot of unnecessary work. It's the shareholders with the big pockets and tunnel-vision directed at their bank accounts that probably shot it down.

I was actually excited when I saw some of the immediate changed he made. Lower volume stores changed back to 6AM flow process instead of 73O. He made sure that useless set in mini after Christmas disappeared. He even ran a pilot to show shareholders how much more efficiently stores would run by adding 8+ hours to closing shifts to help with the zone.

I'm sure there are other examples out there, but ultimately, he is just handcuffed by those who hold the most $$$. Cornell is no dummy, take a peek at his resume and the turnaround he has made for other companies if you think otherwise.

Long run? CEO's these days, don't look at the long run....

To them it is more of a Baton Pass, than a Marathon these days, unfortunately. They should get their big paychecks 10 years down the road,

I'll repent of some of my Brian bashing but some days it seems like corporate is on another planet.

Only my opinion, but I feel like ETLs shouldn't be experts on specific areas of their areas of the store. I'm one of those people that feel like ETLs should just know a little bit (the important things; transitions, MPG areas, NCF items out the back, etc.) about a lot of things.
I disagree. I think that ETL's should be experts in their areas. They should be able to jump in and take over for someone and do the task at least as well as your average team member that's trained in it, and they should be able to train a new team member in a subject if it came down to it. They don't necessarily need to be the best in every subject, the team leads should be the best in their areas, but they should be competent in everything they oversee.

I disagree. I think that ETL's should be experts in their areas. They should be able to jump in and take over for someone and do the task at least as well as your average team member that's trained in it, and they should be able to train a new team member in a subject if it came down to it. They don't necessarily need to be the best in every subject, the team leads should be the best in their areas, but they should be competent in everything they oversee.
I completely agree actually, maybe my wording was off....if there's a new TM in pricing and they ask the ETL a basic question that they should know but don't then that's really bad. That same ETL also oversees presentation, flow, backroom, reverse logistics, and PMT....he has to know how their jobs work too. That's what I had meant about knowing a little bit about a lot

I showed Glassdoor to my STL because I told her I know how much she makes and she said it was WAY off....she said she makes MORE than what they're saying.....BEFORE her bonus o_O

Glassdoor only works with what people submit. Only 213 stl salaries were submitted and who even knows what years those were submitted. Then there's different regions. I looked at a couple cities (Newark, nyc, couple other nj cities) and the base was higher than the average. Then you can also break down the numbers based on years of experience. So I'm doubtful that there are many if any stls making that exact salary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back