Archived Gsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got offered gsa position and was told it's good training for leadership, since I'm going to be getting signed off in a month or two. (hopefully) is gsa a full time position? I know we have two now, and there's almost always at least one there. I'm not too excited about going to the front, but I also get its decent experience. Any thoughts?

In my store we have 3 gsa' they get about 25-30 hours a week. One also works the cafe so he's closer to 40

Can you get red cards every day or week? If not, don't do it.
I have no idea, never had to try before. I'm not necessarily required to do backup because salesfloor goes up before I do. Not to say I don't do it. But mind you I am currently under logistics, not salesfloor or front end. It would be something totally different.

Also does anyone think I'll be penalized for saying no? Sounds silly and I don't think they would but you never know

It highly suggested to watch the front end in action. Red cards are not your friend. I would suggest to hold off on accepting the job unless you can get them. Ask questions, first.
Alright thank you! When I was first asked I wanted to say no right off the bat, but figured I should think about it... And ever since I haven't been entirely sure if I wanted it or not.

Gsa is one of the most thankless, underpaid, Overworke, stressed jobs there is at target. You run your butt off as much as gstl. Don't get the same money.

Where I was it was 38-40 hour a week job for me it included two days a week of cash office also.

Gsa is one of the most thankless, underpaid, Overworke, stressed jobs there is at target. You run your butt off as much as gstl. Don't get the same money.

Where I was it was 38-40 hour a week job for me it included two days a week of cash office also.
Yeah im pretty sure they get 35+ at my store. I don't believe they do cash office though. We have two other people for that.

@instockout go with your gut. It knows. If you have time, during a lunch or on a day off, stay in the front and observe what the gsa is doing. If you can do that a few days. Different times of the day, that would help too.
Go in two hours before closing and watch how they are running their butts off to close the registers and get the front end cleaned. If you don't have good closing cashiers. You will see a disaster.
Go in mid day when gsa is running it alone and there are long lines and the self checkouts are acting up. Watch them spin.

I'm sure you will get your answer. If you are lucky, you will get 1.00 more an hour to do that job too. That depends on your location. I have heard people on here saying its .50¢ more.

@instockout go with your gut. It knows. If you have time, during a lunch or on a day off, stay in the front and observe what the gsa is doing. If you can do that a few days. Different times of the day, that would help too.
Go in two hours before closing and watch how they are running their butts off to close the registers and get the front end cleaned. If you don't have good closing cashiers. You will see a disaster.
Go in mid day when gsa is running it alone and there are long lines and the self checkouts are acting up. Watch them spin.

I'm sure you will get your answer. If you are lucky, you will get 1.00 more an hour to do that job too. That depends on your location. I have heard people on here saying its .50¢ more.
Haha I was only offered. 25¢ which is a huge reason I'm probably going to say no. It's just not quite worth it for so little. I'd only be saying yes for the experience, because I am cross trained in almost everything but front end.

The problem is, if you are in development for TL, they will NOT be happy if you say no. It could work against you when it comes time for interviews (or them letting you get to interviews). Talk with an LOD you trust about it.

The problem is, if you are in development for TL, they will NOT be happy if you say no. It could work against you when it comes time for interviews (or them letting you get to interviews). Talk with an LOD you trust about it.
Yeah I was going to talk with an etl about it. If I end up saying yes I'm going to do so by stating I still want to do the interview next month like originally planned and a slightly higher pay than 25 cents

I would not even bother for a .25 cents raise. I am seasonal but hopefully I have shown them what an asset I am to their team.
I have previously been in a fast food management position (started as team member & promoted 2x within 1 year to assistant manager. I received over $4 in raises. I realize that target isnt as generous but any type of added responsibility and promotion qualifies for more than a quarter..

GSA is a tough position. But it's kinda like ETL Log. The people put in those positions are destined for promotions. Many times I've seen ETLs go the Log route in prep for STL. GSA is a quick route to TL. If you're crosstrained everywhere but front end, I'd say go for it.

And really, it's only as tough as you make it. Yes, you have lots of the same responsibilities as the GSTL for less $$$, but you get the hours when others don't and you have a chance to make a difference in your store.

From the time GSA was rolled out at our store, I could count on one hand how many moved up to GSTL or any other TL position.
Many were put in that position to see if they could hack it or not.
Many could not.

If you want to be a TL, GSA will be great experience. If you can't handle it, then you probably shouldn't be a TL anyway. I say go for it. I never would've been promoted if I wasn't a GSA. Plus it will look really bad if you turn it down (either you don't think you can handle it or you aren't willing to help out the store by filling a position they need/want).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back