Archived mixed messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting mixed messages from the GSAs and the GSTLs, with link many food items are NOT coming up as applicable for food stamps and some stuff which should NOT be covered are such as coffee filters and muffin liners. One told me to change it but then I am getting told NOT to change it. I mean Salsa and Tortilla's should be covered but they are not, when I do change them the PDA sends out a message and today I was told ok once but the second time I was told to NEVER do it again.

should I talk to an ETL or even the STL?

I am getting mixed messages from the GSAs and the GSTLs, with link many food items are NOT coming up as applicable for food stamps and some stuff which should NOT be covered are such as coffee filters and muffin liners. One told me to change it but then I am getting told NOT to change it. I mean Salsa and Tortilla's should be covered but they are not, when I do change them the PDA sends out a message and today I was told ok once but the second time I was told to NEVER do it again.

should I talk to an ETL or even the STL?

Changing that type of stuff.. could get your store into big big trouble.

When an item is scanned, the register shows both the taxable status (taxable vs. non-taxable, noted by T or N) and the food stampable status (whether or not food stamps may be used on the item, noted by F for food stampable). When you hit K5, it gives you the option to change the taxable and food stampable statuses (remember, you have to do this for guests with a tax exempt form). Sometimes, food items that should be covered by food stamps do not show up on the register as being food stampable. Because the guidelines for food stamps are made by the government, we have to be careful with that or Target gets in trouble.

Tardis77, if an item that should be food stampable does not show up on the screen as being food stampable, ask your GSTL/GSA whether or not you should change it. Should there be any question as to why it was changed, your GSTL/GSA gave you the ok to do it so it's their responsibility. Changing the food stampable status of an item is a judgement call that goes beyond your scope of responsibility as a cashier, but front end leadership should be familiar with the guidelines.

We had several cashiers who were arbitrarily changing the status on some items.
A cashier was termed after changing the status on dog food.

I've had quite a few guests come through my lanes saying that perfectly good food at some of the stores in our district won't be accepted there but will at ours.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/retailers/eligible.htm

This should give you an idea of what is accepted vs. not accepted. I have found that the register knows what is and what isn't eligible so I generally go by that.

I've had the opposite experience. I've seen lots of things that should be accepted not set up right in the POS software. It seems to happen most often with food items that my store stocks outside of our grocery area such as baby food items and stuff from candy, but it happens with regular grocery items too. The overall list of things that should legitimately be refused is pretty small but I agree that cashiers should let their GSTLs/GSAs decide what to override.

Some GSAs/GSTLs are sticklers and will not change the tax status on anything. Even when the POS is wrong.

The one year I was in a Super, I was told Food Stamps or Federal Assistance Debit Cards (SNAP) can be accepted as long as it is going towards a food and consumables. Then I was told certain candies are not eligible like Jelly Belly jelly beans because they are a luxury item. But Hershey and Reese Cups were accepted because it has peanut butter and chocolate, and are considered nutritional in moderation. But the SNAP site does say candy, in general, is accepted.

The best procedure is to continue ringing up the guest and call the GSA/GSTL over to make a determination. If the GSA/GSTL denies the tax change, then the guest can argue with them and not you. And if the GSA/GSTL is wrong for changing it, your butt is covered.

Changing tax status on items can get Target in trouble if its not a valid change.

SNAP guidelines state any consumables.... The SNAP guidelines state that there were congressional attempts to determine between luxury foods, but it would have been too expensive and time consuming... So yeah candy is eligible.

I once got talked to about the diet bars (Luna, Powerbars, etc) because I changed them at guest service because I figured they were food. Always, always ask. I alway told people I was training at the lanes to ask before just changing things. It's like they said above, they can make the call and you're covered if it's wrong.

If you're still confused, I'd first talk to the TLs and then go to your ETL-GE. Make sure you keep the lines of communication open. :)

I once got talked to about the diet bars (Luna, Powerbars, etc) because I changed them at guest service because I figured they were food.

If I remember correctly, they're considered to be similar to supplements. After all, there's no substitute for good nutrition, regardless of how much protein is in it.

If I remember correctly, they're considered to be similar to supplements. After all, there's no substitute for good nutrition, regardless of how much protein is in it.

Exactly. I didn't know it then, but after that, if a guest threw a stink, I called a GSTL/GSA over. I wasn't going to get in trouble again over it! :)

We did have someone throw a fit about not being able to buy a cell phone with her EBT card...

We did have someone throw a fit about not being able to buy a cell phone with her EBT card...

Sounds like someone needs to be reported to the state for EBT abuse.

I'm not sure what the rules are for using EBT Cash, but I know it wouldn't be eligible for SNAP (formerly EBT Food on the POS) because it's obviously not food.

In my state, there is no restrictions on what you can buy with the EBT cash....it's the same concept of getting an assistance check in the mail, cashing it, and buying whatever you please. You don't have to like what they purchase, but you can't stop them, either.

It happened before SNAP. For some reason she kept getting denied and took it out on our electronics team member. Still though...

I could launch into a whole rant about EBT/SNAP abuse, but I don't want to take up the whole board. :)

Back when we first opened 6 years ago nothing was coming up foodstampable. We had to physically change things at the register. They said it was because we were a new store.

As someone who had to live on the damned things for a while (after getting hit by a car), I'd like to say that for every person who is abusing the system there are dozens who are struggling to get by.

I'm with you, Commie. Fortunately, I've never had to have public assistance but I sure don't envy those who have. Good Lord, y'all realize that many Target Team Members qualify for SNAP. You think they don't deserve a few "luxury" snacks after work? Come to think of it, I think Target TMs should have their beer made food-stampable, right?

Yes! I am tired of, "people receiving any sort of assistance should never have any luxuries and should be forced to be reminded they are poor and unworthy 24/7." They are adults. It is their money...yes, we helped them get it out of our taxes, but after the IRS takes it, it is no longer "our" money to control.

I've seen both sides: the abuse & the absolute dire need (especially among TMs).
But one could see that in every walk of life, too. For every Bill Gates donating millions to help the poorest of the poor, there's a Jack Welch (former GE CEO) who blows thousands of dollars on bathroom accessories.

Everyone is forgetting the point. It is not our job to police what is a luxury food or what is not, its our job to accept payment within guidelines. Sure, people may be buying ice cream and other consumables (candy) that they do not "NEED", but the SNAP guidelines say it is OK, so we should not be playing food stamp police.

Now WIC on the other hand, clearly states what is eligible and what isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back