MEGATHREAD Signing Tips, Tricks and Quips (along with howls of despair)

BTS signing pallets came in today. 2 red wrapped, 1 clear wrapped. The clear wrapped is enormous(8'tall, so it was really hard to get out of the trailer) and contains most of the bins, & various dividers. I haven't really looked at the other two, concentrated on just the bins. I didn't even attempt to sort the boxes, just started at the top and worked my way down.

I got half the clear wrapped pallet built today. Each box takes about 30-45 minutes to complete( including time alloted for cleanup and doing trash).

So far, pretty much the same as last year.

So my P&G rep came in today. Apparently, all of my Covergirl backer is wrong.

I haven't received any new paper since we did the reset back in Febraury. My ETL is all over me like I threw it away or something.

Erk.

I haven't received any new paper since we did the reset back in Febraury. My ETL is all over me like I threw it away or something.

Erk.

It should have been in the Covergirl box.
Of course if whoever did the reset didn't bother to put it up, how it that your fault?
That was always the way things worked for me too.
I could explain all I wanted but they always had that look like I was just making excuses and should have made sure it was done.
Not the plano TM, not the PTL, or the HL ETL but me.
Good luck, they will love it when you tell them it will take at least two weeks to come in when you order it.

Pull the last PPA and see if there was any mention of missing backer.

Backer is planos responsiblity, and if it is missing, it is their responsibilty to note it on the PPA and hand it off to you to order.

FYI, 1 person, 2-8 hours days can complete the BTS pre-build.

good to know. is that inline and freestanding? what about softlines?

Pull the last PPA and see if there was any mention of missing backer.

Backer is planos responsiblity, and if it is missing, it is their responsibilty to note it on the PPA and hand it off to you to order.

i wish we used PPAs for this reason.

Erk.

we didn't get new paper. i like backer paper. i think some areas it's really pretty. but to send new paper for cosmetics during a non-complete reset.... YIKES. whoever dreamed up our revisions last week should be shot.

Erk.

we didn't get new paper. i like backer paper. i think some areas it's really pretty. but to send new paper for cosmetics during a non-complete reset.... YIKES. whoever dreamed up our revisions last week should be shot.

For serious!
Nailcare was out of control. Then send me the shelf signing a week late.

One of my stars from the Mini Overheads fell down yesterday. I put it aside in the fixture to put back up today ...... someone folded it in half and then in half again and threw it away last night.

Impact was also suppose to show up yesterday. I guess they had better things to do.

I'm so glad I'm off the next two days.

Erk.

For serious!
Nailcare was out of control. Then send me the shelf signing a week late.

One of my stars from the Mini Overheads fell down yesterday. I put it aside in the fixture to put back up today ...... someone folded it in half and then in half again and threw it away last night.

Impact was also suppose to show up yesterday. I guess they had better things to do.

I'm so glad I'm off the next two days.

For sure! I'm lucky that I unpacked that pallet on Wednesday, the day our revision captain decided to do the nailcare set.

*TIP* If you are like us and find yourselves a few 18" basedecks for the BTS set short, you can "borrow" 12- 18" decks from Stationary Writing Instruments, and party favors. The downswept bottom shelves completely hides the basedeck, so no one is the wiser that their gone. (of course this is only until your order comes in)

Saved us.

For sure! I'm lucky that I unpacked that pallet on Wednesday, the day our revision captain decided to do the nailcare set.

*TIP* If you are like us and find yourselves a few 18" basedecks for the BTS set short, you can "borrow" 12- 18" decks from Stationary Writing Instruments, and party favors. The downswept bottom shelves completely hides the basedeck, so no one is the wiser that their gone. (of course this is only until your order comes in)

Saved us.

great tip!

and thanks for the heads-up on the bins!

little rant. grrrr. signing pallet's late again. what happened to them always coming Monday--a week ahead? it's doubly bad when its softlines and street date because the etlsl won't stop bugging me. like I can magically call someone (not mysupport, mind you) and have them fly a few bts bins and project feed signs to my store.

40 hours for my whole team next week. we each got a day. don't know how all those bins are gonna get built or how patio is gonna be maintained to prepare for bts. not to mention the salesfloor is really dragging butt this week (you still like 50 salesplanners, yet you're setting stationery 2 weeks out??? stupid etl. between the two srtl and the etl they set a whopping 4 salesplanners today. if only they could work AND talk at the same time. or stop discussing where to map an endcap 36 times.) TGIalmostF!!

little rant. grrrr. signing pallet's late again. what happened to them always coming Monday--a week ahead? it's doubly bad when its softlines and street date because the etlsl won't stop bugging me. like I can magically call someone (not mysupport, mind you) and have them fly a few bts bins and project feed signs to my store.

40 hours for my whole team next week. we each got a day. don't know how all those bins are gonna get built or how patio is gonna be maintained to prepare for bts. not to mention the salesfloor is really dragging butt this week (you still like 50 salesplanners, yet you're setting stationery 2 weeks out??? stupid etl. between the two srtl and the etl they set a whopping 4 salesplanners today. if only they could work AND talk at the same time. or stop discussing where to map an endcap 36 times.) TGIalmostF!!

Pallets late three weeks in a row and this time no packing slips at all. Of course checking stuff in has gone to the wayside anyway....no hours. Until hours improve I only have enough time to unload pallets and do bare minimum ordering for stuff we are totally out of our nearly so.

Don't know what I'm going to do when its time to change the overheads. (Probably shrug and hand the wave keys to my team lead while reminding that "only X hours this week and used all those for the RedCard retrofit.")

Is it just me or are they cutting hours more during major resets/retrofits than they do when transitions are lite?

I am wondering if they look at the actual amount of presentation hours per week that were used and adjust the % down. let's say... since most stls pull hours from pog for sf, we were supposed to have 150 hours, but ended up with 110. we bust our butts and finish a pog or two early. then we have a call out that the lod won't replace (ever). maybe it shows we spent an actual amount of 97 hours, and they say "hey! I know! they did it in 97, let's adjust that down 3% and see what they do next set!!". my team is amazing... and it's getting hard on some of these sets to get them completed due to the extra amount of time we're spending chasing fixtures, signing, strips, etc. that we should be getting ON TIME. not to mention setting every pog/rev in the store and the salesplanners (no coverage/lazy coverage) and pushing truck or instocks a couple of hours a day. I think i'm getting grumpier in my old age or old target tenure, i'm not sure which is more responsible...

I am wondering if they look at the actual amount of presentation hours per week that were used and adjust the % down. let's say... since most stls pull hours from pog for sf, we were supposed to have 150 hours, but ended up with 110. we bust our butts and finish a pog or two early. then we have a call out that the lod won't replace (ever). maybe it shows we spent an actual amount of 97 hours, and they say "hey! I know! they did it in 97, let's adjust that down 3% and see what they do next set!!". my team is amazing... and it's getting hard on some of these sets to get them completed due to the extra amount of time we're spending chasing fixtures, signing, strips, etc. that we should be getting ON TIME. not to mention setting every pog/rev in the store and the salesplanners (no coverage/lazy coverage) and pushing truck or instocks a couple of hours a day. I think i'm getting grumpier in my old age or old target tenure, i'm not sure which is more responsible...

With me I think they are increasingly going by the Transition/Salesplan Adjacency calendar...which doesn't allow for the Signing Monthly or maintenance jobs like keeping the FR organized, repairing misused fixtures/signing, researching part #s, My Supports, SAP, Guest Vibing, questions from TM's, etc.

All this means is that eventually everything is going to come crashing down (in the case of some overheads maybe literally) and I'm going to be stuck powerless to do much about anything until they come headhunting as to why District saw this and this and not that and that.

Well....

Yeah. No hours is why.

Because God knows I hate the store looking a mess and work unfinished! I take pride in what I do. Hard to be prideful this past couple of years and this year especial. :gamer3:

its been bad. pallets just officially come on wednesdays now for my store. no time for anything.

store is trying to get blood from stones.

furniture i moved almost every piece myself with an ETL and the SFT. then they are like we need you to do more and ps all the 3x5s aren't done. yeah, sorry, if the team can't even batch them and i don't have equip - you're on your own. i put all the holders and backers up with double stick tape ready to peel and go to boot.

rant over

hopefully i will be in better mood next week. oh wait - my pallet of bins just came. i won't.

Last edited:
This week is just all around supply pallet foolishness. Normally, we don't have a problem; the supplies are there Monday morning, Tuesday at the latest.

This week, we got the giant BTS pallet in Monday, but I left it sitting to focus on other more important tasks. A second pallet appeared Tuesday, so I got to work. After sorting through the first pallet, I pulled the second over and it looked a bit... familiar. Sure as can be, it's a supply pallet for another store with a pick label on it for mine. Luckily, it's a local store so we called them up to let them know we have their stuff. They called us back today to let us know they got all their BTS. So... if anyone's missing a BTS pallet, there's one on its way back to the DC tomorrow morning. Of course, I can't even be sure I got everything I needed since the packing slip was nowhere on the pallet and the online report has no results from this week, either.

Of course, there was also the panic of "where's the Softlines towers for next week?" I overlooked the fact that they're coming through regular DC flow this year. Except they're still not here yet, despite the guide saying they would be. This is especially awkward since I planned on building them today and tomorrow.

We set furniture Monday, but IMpact won't come until 7/2. Why in the heck does Target use this company? Waste of money and time.

Any way, couple tips for the BTS set. Finished ours last night.

On the 2-12'x54" gondolas. Have your SFT build them with 22" side basedecks, 4' end decks and 3'X54" endcap pegboards. We did not have the 22" basedecks, so built them with 18". This screwed us for the planos that go on the endcaps. They require a 4' base, but 3' shelves above.

On the floor bins. I wasted way too much time trying to get the shelf on that fits over the 4 screwed together bins. Just doesn't work the way the instructions says it should. Toss the instructions. Just screw the 4 bolts on the top of the 2 side bins, throw some double sided tape on the underside of the shelf and sit it on top. Much stronger and faster.

On the floor bins, you will get clear dividers for the side pockets. Don't attach until the planogram sets. Some pockets get 2 dividers, some get only 1.

I found I was missing 2 picture cards, one for the double base bin, and another for one of the floor bins. I figure either it is a mistake, or a revision and a fix must be coming soon.

This was funny. Opened the small box of backpack fins. UNROLLED the fins and looked at the instructions...."DO NOT store fins rolled up, store flat in their original box until ready to hang" LOL!! I recommend unrolling yours ahead of time and storing them flat & with something heavy on them. Mine are curling at the top. I did trap the bottom edge between the basedecks and that solved the bottom curling.

No instructions were included with your rear seasonal overheads. Not hard to figure out, but annoying to have to hang, readjust, etc. Each pencil takes (with 14' ceiling) 2-36" hooks and 1-42" hook at the point.

Oh, don't forget to add your recall signing to the front category boards on your newly built gondolas. I forgot 1 last year and got popped on an audit.

Well, thats all I can think of. Good luck with your set.

All of our sl floor bins arrived today. I'm not starting them until Monday.

Got two large pallets of BTS on Monday and the signs for Project F but no bins for softlines. Two days later I get a bunch of the softline bins off the truck. Then the next day 3 more came in. Hopefully no more come in.

TargetOldTimer, I am at a early set store also. I was also missing the same picture cards and no instructions for the overhead. And the "Do not Bend" make me laugh when I opened it. I was able to screw the top of the bins on but it was not easy, should of just taped it.

The FOS overheads also didn't come with instructions. I'm revising what I said before on the hooks. They should have been tilted like the directionals, but I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what I used to tilt them, but you'll figure it out. Just omitting the instructions cost me at least a hour moving the FOS and rehanging the rear signs here and there trying to come up with a nice looking arrangement.

If anyone has a link to the recommended supplies for the grades, please post. Our HUGE school district thought I was crazy asking for a generic list of all the grade's supplies.

Last edited:
The great thing is I get to do BTS all over again at another store in my district because their signing guy is going on vacation. Why did I say yes?! At least it will be easier the second time around.

Back