Starbucks Team Leaders

For the schedule, he wanted me to have an opener and a 8:00 person. But only gave me 120 hours for 5 people, if I take 40, I say if because I won't... That leave them with 16 hours a piece or 20.. These women have kids and insurance with the company. Morally I just can't do it.

@redeye58 yup..I was shocked.. I've been working so hard to bring up morale and help guest surveys and now I'm getting "punished" even though in the same sentence he said he would be taking my schedule capabilities, he said "this isn't a punishment"... I just looked at him..

Oh, nice. Lets punish SBTL because GSTL isn't pulling their weight apparently. Seems legit.
Happened at my store all the time: our surveys kept the store from going blood red.
@Ladida0905: At you slammed at opening? My morning person usually came in at 9-9:30-ish. That allowed us to stretch the mid out a little later.

We get busy right at 8, because we are in the Mecca of school zones but it's literally busy from 8-10.. Then dead until school gets out.. The most we get until 3:30-7 is soccer moms or medical offices with 5 drink orders..I told them to cross train me a gsa so that they can help during the am rush and then go back to whatever they were doing. "No hours" they claim. But yet basically want me to schedule my girls for a 4 hour shift just for a am rush but then we have no one for the pm rush.

We get busy right at 8, because we are in the Mecca of school zones but it's literally busy from 8-10.. Then dead until school gets out.. The most we get until 3:30-7 is soccer moms or medical offices with 5 drink orders..I told them to cross train me a gsa so that they can help during the am rush and then go back to whatever they were doing. "No hours" they claim. But yet basically want me to schedule my girls for a 4 hour shift just for a am rush but then we have no one for the pm rush.

How many hours does myTime give you? If it's actually 120, then your weekly sales are very very low and you would only be able to schedule a tiny amount of double coverage throughout the whole week. You won't be able to schedule a second person at 8 and give them an actual shift. I would suggest having the second person work in Starbucks from 8-10 and then cashier or sales floor for the rest of their shift. I get 147 hour per week (162 starting in November) and most of the Starbucks shifts are 5.5 hours, which means a TM would be lucky to get 30-35 while only working at Starbucks. I know they struggle with bills, so I have them do split shifts like the example I just gave. They get the hours they want, Starbucks gets the coverage it needs, and Target gets to save payroll. Win-win-win. The only loss is that some TMs only want to work in Starbucks. Those people will need to find other jobs or something. If you want 40 hours working at Target, you HAVE to cross-train.

The dashboard said 160..we get 120.. And the dtl for sb says target owns sb so it's target hours.. I'm literally alone.

If your dashboard said 160 then it's a similar volume to mine. Your ETL needs to give you those hours. I wish I saved an old email, but my SBDM asked if it was written anywhere that the Starbucks hours can't be touched. I mySupported it and they said no, but that they need to be using all of their hours. I can try to find the mySupport case tomorrow.

Any way you can cross-train with FA?
We started doing that four yrs ago & it's been great during slam times.
First started doing it on the down-low because we didn't have any training hrs but all new TMs do a couple turns on either side now.
It provides good back-up coverage whenever there are call-outs & a chance for TMs of either side to pick up shifts when hrs are low. Something to look at long-range.
Also, as Xanatos said, your TMs may need to pick up some cashier shifts.
The SBTMs that cashiered also came over to cover breaks & lunches when we were down to one.

Funny u say that.. Sb is the only area where the tm are cross trained.. They're constantly taking my girls and putting them on guest service or even food Ave. no one else in the store is as cross trained as the sb team..but they "cut" hours on sales floor. One month hr said they won't give cashier hours to the sb team members. And the only reason they don't like working on the floor is because when we need help no one can help.. They've had times where theyre driving to work in sb uniform only to figure out once they clocked in that someone changed the schedule the night before and made them a cashier for their whole shift that was sb. They are literally at the front lanes watching sb be slammed becauSe they're the only cashier for the day.

I did.. I texted her every week.. Her reply.. Only work with what u can handle and we need timers on our aprons. Target own sb so target own the hours

Can't cross train.. The old etl would have me cross train the cart attendant.. Lasted two weekend before they stopped scheduling cart attendants and made guest service be the cart guy

I did.. I texted her every week.. Her reply.. Only work with what u can handle and we need timers on our aprons. Target own sb so target own the hours

True, Target does own the hours because they pay the TMs. So it sounds like your DM is going to be worthless. So lets fix this through Target.

Print out the dashboard every week. You can go back a couple weeks, too. Take a look at the hours spent vs the hours allotted. There are going to be workcenters that consistently overspend every week. Approach the STL and your ETL and have a rational discussion about payroll. How many workcenters could survive on 75% of their hours? In my store, carts, food ave, and market can survive on severely decreased hours. Every other workcenter needs to schedule approximately what they are allotted. Then backroom is somehow a special case where they are allowed to schedule anywhere from 20% to 100% extra (yes, I saw a week where they had spent over 200 hours and were allotted less than 100, while I'm trying to run food ave on 90 out of 120 hours). Could the cashiers survive on 75%? How would the sales floor look if they tried it? What about the flow team, would they even come close to finishing the truck? Starbucks is the same way. Target says that Starbucks needs these hours for a reason.

I did have a conversation and the stl went behind me back and started bad mouthing me to the etl who told me. He said "I need to stop bitching about the hours and that nothing is going to change." Yes my dm is worthless and the new etl just wants to please the stl. Any means necessary. I feel so alone. It's like I might as well quit. It's like trying to fight a mafia.

Wow.
Just for sh*ts & giggles, I wonder if you would ever have a chance to visit with the other SBTL that they regard so highly & ask him about his hrs, scheduling, etc?
Whether comparing notes might help you with some pushback next time your ETL or STL pick apart your performance & compare you to the uberSBTL?
"Sure, I could probably do as well as 'Fred' if I had the same resources because HE doesn't get HIS hours siphoned off."

Wow.
Just for sh*ts & giggles, I wonder if you would ever have a chance to visit with the other SBTL that they regard so highly & ask him about his hrs, scheduling, etc?
Whether comparing notes might help you with some pushback next time your ETL or STL pick apart your performance & compare you to the uberSBTL?
"Sure, I could probably do as well as 'Fred' if I had the same resources because HE doesn't get HIS hours siphoned off."

That's actually a brilliant idea. If he's doing such a great job, you should email him about his hours. I bet he gets all of his hours.

Or if he doesn't get all of them, it has to be close, and he probably had all of his hours for a long time and used them to build a great team. My team could survive on fewer hours, but that's because I've had all of my payroll in the past to spend training them. I haven't had a whole lot of support from my STL or ETL, but I don't need it as long as they give me the hours I need.

He is the sb tl for the busiest sb for target in the state. He has support out the butt, plus a well trained team. I got a team of girls that do what they want when they want and I finally got them to hold hands.. His etl can go back there and make drinks like a barista. My etl will write on cups and ask me everything. Funny this is my etl was trained but the other etl :eek:

Back