Starbucks Team Leaders

DM is visiting soon and he asked for a pastry plan and a coffee brew plan. Can anyone help with this? (Sbux is a V03 but store is ULV)

We are the same. V3, ULV. Do you have some context? Does he just want plans to increase sales, or is there some kind of problem involving brewed coffee and pastries?

DM is visiting soon and he asked for a pastry plan and a coffee brew plan. Can anyone help with this? (Sbux is a V03 but store is ULV)

Did you get your fall promotional packet yet? There is information regarding these topics in there. I briefly glanced through it today so the following information might not be 100% complete. Starting in the fall, our pastry selection will become standardized. The way I understood it was that Starbucks will be controlling our pastry offering not Target. I believe the goal is to deliver a constant experience by having all license stores carry the same items. The pastry plan should include steps to drive sales like sampling, making sure the case is full at all times (pulling the right amount at the right time), being able to describe the items, etc. The coffee brew plan refers to changes to the brew routine. The brew routine will change based on your Starbucks weekly sales. Some stores will have to increase the amount of coffees they brew during peak times (which will vary by store). There is a breakdown in the promotional material. Some stores won't change their routine. Your coffee plan may include determining the peak hours for your store, ordering additional coffee pot/coffee to meet business demands, retrain team on the brew routine (especially if your store is gong to use 10 or 8 minute cadence times), etc. I am planning on going through this information in depth tomorrow so I will post an update if needed.

We are the same. V3, ULV. Do you have some context? Does he just want plans to increase sales, or is there some kind of problem involving brewed coffee and pastries?

Right now we are struggling with staffing, with mainly only three baristas (TMs) on the schedule. Sales aren't great, and we've been chronically understaffed. We're working on getting staffed but it's an uphill battle and the DM wanted a plan in the meantime for coffee and pastries. We don't brew nearly enough coffee during the day and I feel like our pastry pulling could be streamlined because we do waste quite a bit and run out of other items as well.

I'll have to look for the fall promotional packet, sometimes it takes a while for the mail to trickle back to me.

@starbuck27 would you mind posting an update? I would appreciate it.

I have been trying to order a new straw holder for a while but can't seem to find it on the order guide. Does anyone know where to find it or what it is actually called?

Right now we are struggling with staffing, with mainly only three baristas (TMs) on the schedule. Sales aren't great, and we've been chronically understaffed. We're working on getting staffed but it's an uphill battle and the DM wanted a plan in the meantime for coffee and pastries. We don't brew nearly enough coffee during the day and I feel like our pastry pulling could be streamlined because we do waste quite a bit and run out of other items as well.
Coffee: should be one bag a day. My team was struggling a bit, what helped us was pre grinding and filtering coffee in a cube when we need to so when the timer goes off (every 30 mins) it’s a easy switch.

Pastries: lookup I think it’s called Markout Activity Report and you can see that weeks qmosed pastries. Start tracking that and see what you are qmosing more of and keep track of what you run out of the most. At my store we pull pretty much the same during the week Mon-thurs and we pull more during weekend (cake pops, loaves etc)

I have been trying to order a new straw holder for a while but can't seem to find it on the order guide. Does anyone know where to find it or what it is actually called?

Metal one is called metal condiment stand insert I think and plastic is called plastic display cube

Pregrinding Pike and having it in the filters would be a hard "no" from my DM, so just be prepared to be told to grind to order. If your Pike cube is not marked with the times of day and how much coffee should be gone, you might want to try it. It is a good visual reminder, and has been helpful for my team.

You can also use the RPQ report to help you determine how much to pull. It is based on sales, and assumes that you will qmos one of each pastry or sandwich. This assures that no guest will be disappointed. Maybe you can make that part of your plan for your DM. Talk also about sampling food items. I think sampling is Sbux version of RedCards.

As for staffing, be picky. I have been where you are now, and it is tempting to hire anyone who can fill the hours. Make sure they are a good fit. You are building a Team, not just hiring bodies. Ask around at your store too. I have gotten some great baristas that way. I'm always surprised by how many people have Sbux experience--you never know.

Pregrinding Pike and having it in the filters would be a hard "no" from my DM, so just be prepared to be told to grind to order. If your Pike cube is not marked with the times of day and how much coffee should be gone, you might want to try it. It is a good visual reminder, and has been helpful for my team.

You can also use the RPQ report to help you determine how much to pull. It is based on sales, and assumes that you will qmos one of each pastry or sandwich. This assures that no guest will be disappointed. Maybe you can make that part of your plan for your DM. Talk also about sampling food items. I think sampling is Sbux version of RedCards.

As for staffing, be picky. I have been where you are now, and it is tempting to hire anyone who can fill the hours. Make sure they are a good fit. You are building a Team, not just hiring bodies. Ask around at your store too. I have gotten some great baristas that way. I'm always surprised by how many people have Sbux experience--you never know.
reliability too. we had some people who'd call out a ton and stressed out those who didnt. they didn't want to come in and be alone for their shift.

Customer connection is like guest surveys. Pike is how much Pike you order. They also keep track of iced coffee and cold brew now, so maybe they lumped those in. Iced coffee must be made twice per day.
question, how do they track cold brew/ice coffee since those are sales based? unless we get customer complaints we were out of it the only way the dm tracks is pikes which is every 30 minutes of open.

ice coffee can be in 5 oz or 9 oz, and cold brew is good for 5 days in 3 and 5 lb variations. there's no way they can track based on ordering your availability of them.

question, how do they track cold brew/ice coffee since those are sales based? unless we get customer complaints we were out of it the only way the dm tracks is pikes which is every 30 minutes of open.

ice coffee can be in 5 oz or 9 oz, and cold brew is good for 5 days in 3 and 5 lb variations. there's no way they can track based on ordering your availability of them.

Yes, they track based on your order. Whether you use 5 or 9 ounce iced coffees, you still have to make it twice every day, due to the 12 hour expiration time. So, with 32 packets in a case, you basically have to order iced coffee twice per month. Same with cold brew. Regardless of the size of the bullet, you must order at least 6 each month if you are making it every 5 days.
In other words, they track individual units ordered.

I am attaching some of the materials from the fall planning guide to help with the pastry and brewed coffee plan. To update my earlier post, Starbucks is giving us a core list of pastry items that every store must carry. Licensees will have still be able to control some of our offering. I have also attached that list.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 19
So, with 32 packets in a case, you basically have to order iced coffee twice per month. Same with cold brew. Regardless of the size of the bullet, you must order at least 6 each month if you are making it every 5 days.
With the heat wave we've had down here we're making cold brew every other day & we've been burning thru two cases of iced coffee a WEEK.
Our regular brew schedule is an 8 minute cadence during the morning rush so we order two cases of Pike a week.

We do the minimum for Pike, but for summer, we are making CB about every other day too. And iced coffee more like thrice each day.

With my last DM visit. She wanted us to make our pastry/sandwich display case more full looking. And want us to use plates/paddles/grates. Of which my store didn't have when I took over.

What are all the stuff you can use in the display case?

We have a grate for sandwiches/paninis, a paddle for loaves, plate for coffee cake, a stand for brownies, blocks for the cake pops, a bowl for the oatmeal (has three smaller dip bowls for the nuts/brown sugar/raisins).
We fill in with multiples if we're out of a particular item to keep it full-looking.

We have a grate for sandwiches/paninis, a paddle for loaves, plate for coffee cake, a stand for brownies, blocks for the cake pops, a bowl for the oatmeal (has three smaller dip bowls for the nuts/brown sugar/raisins).
We fill in with multiples if we're out of a particular item to keep it full-looking.
Do you know what the grate is labeled as on the order guide? For the plates, I have the long ones but don't have the smaller squared ones, what are they labeled as in the guide?

Tried searching for the Starbucks Master Item List but all I found was a excel spreadsheet. And not the PDF file with the pictures.

Do you know what the grate is labeled as on the order guide? For the plates, I have the long ones but don't have the smaller squared ones, what are they labeled as in the guide?

Tried searching for the Starbucks Master Item List but all I found was a excel spreadsheet. And not the PDF file with the pictures.

Unfortunately, the PDF with the pictures no longer exists on workbench. The grate is called a cooling rack on the order guide (260-04-0023). The plates are labeled "platter petite display" (260-04-0264). The cooling racks come in a pack of two and the plates are a pack of 5.

Unfortunately, the PDF with the pictures no longer exists on workbench. The grate is called a cooling rack on the order guide (260-04-0023). The plates are labeled "platter petite display" (260-04-0264). The cooling racks come in a pack of two and the plates are a pack of 5.
Thank you very much! Do you happen to have the DCPI for the paddle and white stand used int display case? Do you happen to still have a copy of the PDF file? And are able to share it?

Thank you very much! Do you happen to have the DCPI for the paddle and white stand used int display case? Do you happen to still have a copy of the PDF file? And are able to share it?

The paddle is 260-04-0356. There are a few different pedestals we can order but I think we use the 6 inch ones (260-04-0408). I will see what I can do about getting the PDF.

I thought you had it.

I thought you had it.
I had a printed copy from last year, it was missing a lot of items on it. The copy I had anyways, thus why I kept asking for Dcpi such as Nutmeg a few weeks ago. And it doesn't have the petite platter and grates. But does have the longer plates for the display. Of white I already have.

Back