Starbucks Team Leaders

Being a bit of a Luddite, I have a printed copy of the smallwares guide with pics. I am not comfortable posting work docs publicly online, and have messaged it to some of you whom I thought might want it. If anyone else needs/wants a copy, let me know.
/raises hand ✋

At one point I tried emailing the doc to my personal email. But it was too big to send. I should have just brought it a USB Drive to save it :(

Being a bit of a Luddite, I have a printed copy of the smallwares guide with pics. I am not comfortable posting work docs publicly online, and have messaged it to some of you whom I thought might want it. If anyone else needs/wants a copy, let me know.

Thank you so much!!

One time I improvised a stand by using the oatmeal display bowl turned upside-down with a round platter on top.
Stands help make items in back a little more visible.

With my last DM visit. She wanted us to make our pastry/sandwich display case more full looking. And want us to use plates/paddles/grates. Of which my store didn't have when I took over.

What are all the stuff you can use in the display case?

That middle piece we have really helps a ton with filling up space, I believe it's called a two-tier. I had to find the # on workbench and then on support it as it wasn't orderable for us. They then somehow changed that and I was able to order the next week.

Attachments

• 20170815_190208.png
    20170815_190208.png
    754.7 KB · Views: 20
So I need some help here. I am currently a TL of both Starbucks and of another dept, not food related. Our store is not allowed to have a food service lead of any kind, so the logical choice would have been to put a food team lead in charge of it. Well I was put in charge because grocery is on the opposite side of the store. (It literally takes a minute tops to walk from grocery to Starbucks). Anyway, I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week at Starbucks. Of course, half of that time I am by myself, and the other half it doesn't matter anyway because it is so busy. I never have time to get anything done that I need to. I can't do the order, I can't get any paperwork done. Plus, I don't get enough time to work with everyone, so half the people I never see. It has become very stressful, and other leadership in the building does not seem to care even a tiny bit about Starbucks. I feel bad for my team, because they are so cut off from the rest of the store, they feel like they are on an island. No one in the building can appreciate what we do over there. Plus I have a plethora of other issues that might make it more difficult down the road to make changes. Starbucks is not a 6 hour a week job. Any advise on how to handle this is much appreciated!

I have been trying to order a new straw holder for a while but can't seem to find it on the order guide. Does anyone know where to find it or what it is actually called?
Are you referring to the clear square container or the metal cylinder container, this seems to vary by location

I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week at Starbucks.
It has become very stressful, and other leadership in the building does not seem to care even a tiny bit about Starbucks. I feel bad for my team, because they are so cut off from the rest of the store, they feel like they are on an island.
Starbucks is not a 6 hour a week job.
I'm hearing this from a lot of stores.
Starbucks was always the bucktoothed love-child at my store & E2E has only made it worse.
The only time we were noticed was when we had a red Steritech visit & leadership came down even harder on us.
Fortunately our last TL trained many of us to handle orders, set up promotions, put in work orders & the like so we could keep our heads above water but sometimes we HAVE to have support from leadership & that's still a struggle.

If I could get one, that would be a Godsend. I keep ordering random things hoping they're the right thing. xD

Speaking of, does anyone know what the part number is for the metal middle pieces that go in the bins of the triangular snack fixture to hold the magnetic signs? The corporate Starbucks close to us has them, but we never got sent them, and having the signs on the outside of the bin facing the floor seems... stupid.

So I need some help here. I am currently a TL of both Starbucks and of another dept, not food related. Our store is not allowed to have a food service lead of any kind, so the logical choice would have been to put a food team lead in charge of it. Well I was put in charge because grocery is on the opposite side of the store. (It literally takes a minute tops to walk from grocery to Starbucks). Anyway, I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week at Starbucks. Of course, half of that time I am by myself, and the other half it doesn't matter anyway because it is so busy. I never have time to get anything done that I need to. I can't do the order, I can't get any paperwork done. Plus, I don't get enough time to work with everyone, so half the people I never see. It has become very stressful, and other leadership in the building does not seem to care even a tiny bit about Starbucks. I feel bad for my team, because they are so cut off from the rest of the store, they feel like they are on an island. No one in the building can appreciate what we do over there. Plus I have a plethora of other issues that might make it more difficult down the road to make changes. Starbucks is not a 6 hour a week job. Any advise on how to handle this is much appreciated!
You're going to have to fight for more time in Starbucks. It definitely requires more than 6 hours a week to run a successful Starbucks and to let alone even understand how to be a barista and the workload. I always told my store that Starbucks and Food Ave have been E2E workcenters since their inception. We break down our own orders, push our merch out when it's received so we deserve the same support. Speak with your HR, ETL, or STL and ask for more days in Starbucks. Maybe you can work mid shifts so you can see the opener and closer and during that time, train, train train. It will be your lifesaver. If they know how to place orders, create work orders/Mysupport, and set the new resets, it'll be a huge help for you since you have to oversee market as well. Ask to have a Food assistant to help you in Starbucks. You should be able to get one. I was able to have one for Food Ave and Starbucks and it made my life easier.

Last edited:
That middle piece we have really helps a ton with filling up space, I believe it's called a two-tier. I had to find the # on workbench and then on support it as it wasn't orderable for us. They then somehow changed that and I was able to order the next week.
Beautiful case. We only have the small one.

I am surprised that your store was allowed to put Starbucks with anything other than Market. The company was pretty specific about keeping food areas together. You will need more time in Starbucks to get yourself and your team properly trained.
First of all, are you getting your allocated hours for Starbucks? If not, start asking that you get all of the hours you are supposed to have. Explain to your leaders that they need to invest in your training up front if you are going to be able to run a successful store. Maybe call your ETL over when you are working alone, and have him work register for 30 minutes. He may then get an idea of how much there is to learn.

Recruit and cross train. Even in a well established, well run, successful Starbucks, the team is always a bit on the outside. You will need to build a Team that is self sufficient and works well together. (By together I don't mean at the same time, but that they will support each other rather than complain about each other). About half of the baristas at my store also work other areas, so there is always backup available. It also helps them feel more part of the store. And, they can recommend tms who would be good baristas. In my experience, they really only recommend the ones they think will be a good fit, not just their friends. I am guessing that you are GSTL. We have all of our GSAs trained to at least cover breaks and backup.
Train. You should have 2 people besides yourself who can complete the order, MySupport issues, complete new sets, requisition, are certified trainers. Do you have anyone you think is up to this? We have a FSA as well who does most of the sets and ordering. Do you have a GSA you are developing? Maybe FSA for Starbucks would be a great step. It's a raise, and could be a good position to develop some leadership skills. Just remember that this is not a permanent solution, and that the goal is to move this person to the next level. Always try to have a back up person trained.
Your store seems to have chosen proximity to Starbucks as the reason for you getting it. This says to me that leadership expects you to spend time there, keeping your eye on things. Do this.
I realize that most of these solutions require more than 1 shift per week. I think you need to have a talk with your leadership where you present a plan for success in Starbucks that includes some more training time up front. Go in with a plan, not just complaints, you will get better results. It will be important to have Sbux running like a well oiled machine by Q4, so you can focus on FE.

If I could get one, that would be a Godsend. I keep ordering random things hoping they're the right thing. xD

Speaking of, does anyone know what the part number is for the metal middle pieces that go in the bins of the triangular snack fixture to hold the magnetic signs? The corporate Starbucks close to us has them, but we never got sent them, and having the signs on the outside of the bin facing the floor seems... stupid.
Snack bin signage insert?
260 06 0008

So assembling the Pumpkin Spice Pump (shudders at the thought), other than the gauge and knob. Does it matter what parts we use?

So assembling the Pumpkin Spice Pump (shudders at the thought), other than the gauge and knob. Does it matter what parts we use?
If I remember correctly, it also has to be the pump dispenser that you use for chai/white mocha.

It would be the white mocha because the feed pipe has a larger diameter hole for the heavier syrup whereas the chai has a tiny hole & a flat base.
It should have the orange knob & the calibration ring collar (measures quantity of each pump).

Last edited:
I am surprised that your store was allowed to put Starbucks with anything other than Market. The company was pretty specific about keeping food areas together. You will need more time in Starbucks to get yourself and your team properly trained.
First of all, are you getting your allocated hours for Starbucks? If not, start asking that you get all of the hours you are supposed to have. Explain to your leaders that they need to invest in your training up front if you are going to be able to run a successful store. Maybe call your ETL over when you are working alone, and have him work register for 30 minutes. He may then get an idea of how much there is to learn.

Recruit and cross train. Even in a well established, well run, successful Starbucks, the team is always a bit on the outside. You will need to build a Team that is self sufficient and works well together. (By together I don't mean at the same time, but that they will support each other rather than complain about each other). About half of the baristas at my store also work other areas, so there is always backup available. It also helps them feel more part of the store. And, they can recommend tms who would be good baristas. In my experience, they really only recommend the ones they think will be a good fit, not just their friends. I am guessing that you are GSTL. We have all of our GSAs trained to at least cover breaks and backup.
Train. You should have 2 people besides yourself who can complete the order, MySupport issues, complete new sets, requisition, are certified trainers. Do you have anyone you think is up to this? We have a FSA as well who does most of the sets and ordering. Do you have a GSA you are developing? Maybe FSA for Starbucks would be a great step. It's a raise, and could be a good position to develop some leadership skills. Just remember that this is not a permanent solution, and that the goal is to move this person to the next level. Always try to have a back up person trained.
Your store seems to have chosen proximity to Starbucks as the reason for you getting it. This says to me that leadership expects you to spend time there, keeping your eye on things. Do this.
I realize that most of these solutions require more than 1 shift per week. I think you need to have a talk with your leadership where you present a plan for success in Starbucks that includes some more training time up front. Go in with a plan, not just complaints, you will get better results. It will be important to have Sbux running like a well oiled machine by Q4, so you can focus on FE.

I really appreciate the help here. I feel like I am in such a bind because I really don't quite have a good situation going for me. I have had barista basics training, and I am comfortable enough on my own, however I would like to get AST certified myself. I currently have one AST complete, and another person who is almost done. That will put me at the required two, but I feel like if I get it, I know where my priorities lie. I just don't feel like it is fair to my ASTs to have to pick up all the slack because I don't have time for it.

I really appreciate the help here. I feel like I am in such a bind because I really don't quite have a good situation going for me. I have had barista basics training, and I am comfortable enough on my own, however I would like to get AST certified myself. I currently have one AST complete, and another person who is almost done. That will put me at the required two, but I feel like if I get it, I know where my priorities lie. I just don't feel like it is fair to my ASTs to have to pick up all the slack because I don't have time for it.
It's a requirement for the Team Leader to be AST-certified but to be honest, that info you won't ever use. It's a big waste of time lol You learn everything from experiencing it face to face.

Does anyone know the dpci for the pumpkin collar and the knob. The last teamlead tossed them and its not on the order guide or master order list.

Back