Starbucks Team Leaders

another question for you guys. what happens if you have call outs? we're dinged for a night we had a closer call out. we called people in but they weren't available. we had cross trained, but they were maxed out. dm just said its on target to figure out staffing, just have a barista certified person from open to close.

she asked us how we dealt with it in the store, and yeah we try our best, we planned for the shift. we tried to cover it but we dealt the best with what we do. yeah you're non compliant on it.

Hey guys! Just a reminder we are supposed to brew Italian roast this week and NOT the Ethiopia sidamo. It's on the main page on Istore!

@monkeyman90 Well, a few years ago, I had a pretty small team, and I got some OT filling in.
Cross training really is key. We basically always have at least 2 barista trained people scheduled at all times. All GSAS/GSTL are trained to cover breaks, and could cover a shift if need be. I currently have baristas who also work as PA, SL, Flow, FR, and cashier, so with a little effort, at least one of them is scheduled in their other workcenter at all times.

Last edited:
Well, the GSAS are trained over a pretty long period of time--add an hour to a couple shifts each week. Start them on register so they can provide backup right away, if needed. I can usually find a couple of hours for that. I also cross train the other way sometimes, ie have a barista train on SF or operator is she wants more hours. Also, there always seem to be tms who have worked at a Starbucks in the past. See if there are any at your store.

another question for you guys. what happens if you have call outs? we're dinged for a night we had a closer call out. we called people in but they weren't available. we had cross trained, but they were maxed out. dm just said its on target to figure out staffing, just have a barista certified person from open to close.

she asked us how we dealt with it in the store, and yeah we try our best, we planned for the shift. we tried to cover it but we dealt the best with what we do. yeah you're non compliant on it.
Essentially, I'm on call 24/7. I keep my phone next to my head when I sleep so they can wake me up with a call or even a text if the opener calls off. And I live close enough that I can clock in within 10 minutes of the call that wakes me up.

Essentially, I'm on call 24/7. I keep my phone next to my head when I sleep so they can wake me up with a call or even a text if the opener calls off. And I live close enough that I can clock in within 10 minutes of the call that wakes me up.

You are exactly the type of boss I want to work for. Someone that talks the talk and walks the walk. I respect that. You are a rare breed!

we always have a barista scheduled as a cashier, one for morning and one for evening. in theory, they're supposed to be there so they're close if we need backup and they can just run over. in practice, the front lanes will never give us our backup, even though they can pull from sales floor and we don't have that luxury. plus the baristas who are scheduled as cashiers don't seem to see any problem with calling off themselves or trading their shifts with people who aren't barista trained, even though we've told them multiple times they're not allowed to do that. so... while that's one idea to try, it only works if you can get the whole team on board.

Yeah, we how little hours we get. I try to get my team cashier shifts if they want it. Sadly most of them don't but still complain that I don't give them hours. If they are given cashier shifts, they either call out. Or on my days off, they just go to Starbucks to work. Pissing the Front End tremendously. I can't win, I get them hours. They don't show up (cashier shift) or don't work where they are suppose to work. Blah...

Our opening day is 3 - 6.

The next week Spot wants to cut SB's 170 hours down to 120.

The training barista is very concerned over this...

All of us will have had 12 days (or so) wearing the green apron.

I hope no one calls out!

It doesn't surprise me, but he is new to Spot and shitting his skivvies.

We don't even have pastries, a bunch of other stuff and the the oven isn't set-up yet.

Two more days to prepare.

You will do great. I think 120 hours will be fine if you are ULV. It takes people some time to find out you have a Starbucks.

THAT is what I'm hoping, but I'm thinking it is going to be balls to the walls...

Back