Starbucks Team Leaders

In terms of Sales Comp MTD & YTD, as well as Marin MTD & YTD. How does your Starbucks rank within your store compared to other departments? Like are you top 3 in Comps, bottom 3 in margins, etc..

Tops in Comp all last year and starting this year too. Not sure on margin, but I know it's green.

Tops in Comp all last year and starting this year too. Not sure on margin, but I know it's green.
Been in role since August and have been getting positive comps since October. Continuing into this year but margins on the other hand... Trying to work on that, have gotten better with managing pars for my ingredients. But still striking a balance on paper supplies, since it feels like each week we either go through more than I expect or less than expect. Other things I'm working on managing is hours and team members working beyond their shifts (though great that they are willing to stay if its busy)...

The working past hours can be a killer, but it's pretty hard to just leave if there is a line. We usually have a good amount of paper goods. I'd rather over order than run out, and they don't expire.

100% agree with over-ordering paper products. because inevitably someone in the store (for us it was our GSTL) will hijack your paper delivery and steal all your paper towels, and then you won't have any to actually clean counters with, and you'll have to go on sneaky covert ops missions to steal boxes from the checklanes because they'll have used them all from the supply closet as well. it is known.

Does anyone think it's manageable to own all of dry grocery, p-fresh and Starbucks?
Not with 40 hours and teams that need more supervision. I'm drowning w/ cafe, SBux, and market. I have one Sbux shift a week, then 1 market shift if I am lucky, plus 3-4 LOD shifts. If my teams were all on point when I took over them then things might be different, but as it is I'm struggling a lot. I think it is ridiculous to take these 3 areas that usually have their own 40 hr a week lead down to one without any kind of pay increase or being allowed to have overtime. If I weren't a senior things might be different since I wouldn't have LOD shifts, but I am definitely having a rough time.

We are back to 2 LOD shifts per week--are you guys short on leaders? I did have 3 this week, but it was unusual.

I know my DM is worried about what this will look like in 6 months or so. Turnover happens in Starbucks, and she is very worried about standards slipping and proper training. She will not be afraid to pull out the NNC. In fact, now that I think about it, every time she has visited, she has mentioned putting someone on an NNC (not all Targets).

Also, because other leaders can't really provide meaningful help in Starbucks, it will be easier for tms to cut corners. There are several cleaning tasks that can go undone, and no one else would notice. If a barista is asked if she cleaned the drains and says yes, who is really going to know but us? I know that some leaders don't even check them out at night. They just say, "you can go. I will sign everything later." This really makes me mad.

I am lucky to have a great, self sufficient team. They are just fine for right now. If this happened 2 years, ago, I have no idea how it would have worked.

I feel for you guys that have all three areas. I would sink if that was me.

We are back to 2 LOD shifts per week--are you guys short on leaders? I did have 3 this week, but it was unusual.

I know my DM is worried about what this will look like in 6 months or so. Turnover happens in Starbucks, and she is very worried about standards slipping and proper training. She will not be afraid to pull out the NNC. In fact, now that I think about it, every time she has visited, she has mentioned putting someone on an NNC (not all Targets).

Also, because other leaders can't really provide meaningful help in Starbucks, it will be easier for tms to cut corners. There are several cleaning tasks that can go undone, and no one else would notice. If a barista is asked if she cleaned the drains and says yes, who is really going to know but us? I know that some leaders don't even check them out at night. They just say, "you can go. I will sign everything later." This really makes me mad.

I am lucky to have a great, self sufficient team. They are just fine for right now. If this happened 2 years, ago, I have no idea how it would have worked.
A huge part of my problem is my direct ETL not doing anything other than sitting on the computer, but nothing happens as she is the STL favorite. She won't even help wash dishes. I'm down to 3 Sbux only workcenter baristas and I'm supposed to have 8. The other leads don't know what to check/too lazy so I tell them to at least turn the lights on to check things like drains, but I don't think they do. My AST texted the DM over my weekend off because the ETL had her go dark for lunch when the mid called out and she was tired of the ETL providing essentially no support and so now we have a non-compliance. I always try to protect my team and would do just about anything for them (which they know), but everyone is getting fed up and saying they want to walk. I have been trying to hire baristas for weeks and they pass myself and the ETL but then some weird issue comes up during their meet and greet and we have to pass (multiple people leaving for school in July, or a sport starting soon so they'd only be available once a week, etc).

We aren't short on leads. I'm one of 3 Srs, then 3 ETLs, plus the STL but they're piling the LOD shifts onto me even while I'm trying to train my food team. All of my training days with them so far they have made me LOD and no one is willing to trade me and they said I can't have my 2 dedicated weeks working alongside them until 2-3 weeks into rollout. I'm also in charge of all food safety/steritech, WIC, esim compliance, etc. so I'm having a hard time developing my team and trying not to scramble to finish everything. Steritech came right after I took cafe after they hadn't had a lead in several months so we got a red from that and so I'm told I'll be on corrective if we get another red score. If anyone has wisdom on time traveling to get everything done then please send it my way. :oops:

Also they took the schedule away from me so my ETL approved multiple vacations for the few cross trained people I have so multiple days I have an opener and then a closer doing a 10hour day and I cover breaks and lunches while being LOD. Then she tells my STL I wrote the schedule. :rolleyes:

You don't have to have 8 Starbucks only baristas, just 8 who work at least 1 day per week in Starbucks, so you can count your cross trained ones.
Ask for some help with specific things. Despite E2E, we are still all a team. There should be an action plan from the Steritech visit. Ask lazy ETL for help following up on that--preferably in front of as many leaders as possible. I would think an NNC also comes with an action plan. Your ETL and STL can put you on a CA, but they know that they are ultimately responsible. I think NNC goes to DTL as well, so whichever ETL was responsible for going dark will have to explain that.
I made a quick checklist a couple years ago for opening and closing LODs. We were pretty short staffed at the time. Stuff like go to Starbucks and say hi to the barista, lol. Most of them had the grace to admit that they didn't even do that much. If you have a simple checklist for them to follow--clean surfaces, clean sinks, drain inserts out (put back after check), no dirty dishes, spot check some dates--you can hold them accountable along with you and your team. Also, try to form good partnerships with your GSA/GSTL team. They can help out with lots of stuff.

There are TONS of training hours for market. There is no reason for you to have so many LOD shifts. And why do you have esim compliance? And WIC?

We're down to 5 baristas so our SBTL has been covering gaps & we've been having problems with the closing LOD not looking closely before signing off.
Our SBTL has come in to sticky counters, coffee left in airpots, espresso machine not cleaned, etc.
After having a red Steritech visit once last year you'd think the ETLs would be on top of that but, nope.

Last edited:
You don't have to have 8 Starbucks only baristas, just 8 who work at least 1 day per week in Starbucks, so you can count your cross trained ones.
Ask for some help with specific things. Despite E2E, we are still all a team. There should be an action plan from the Steritech visit. Ask lazy ETL for help following up on that--preferably in front of as many leaders as possible. I would think an NNC also comes with an action plan. Your ETL and STL can put you on a CA, but they know that they are ultimately responsible. I think NNC goes to DTL as well, so whichever ETL was responsible for going dark will have to explain that.
I made a quick checklist a couple years ago for opening and closing LODs. We were pretty short staffed at the time. Stuff like go to Starbucks and say hi to the barista, lol. Most of them had the grace to admit that they didn't even do that much. If you have a simple checklist for them to follow--clean surfaces, clean sinks, drain inserts out (put back after check), no dirty dishes, spot check some dates--you can hold them accountable along with you and your team. Also, try to form good partnerships with your GSA/GSTL team. They can help out with lots of stuff.

There are TONS of training hours for market. There is no reason for you to have so many LOD shifts. And why do you have esim compliance? And WIC?
That's good to know about the eight including people working 1 day a week, I feel like I already knew that but have become super scatterbrained. o_O The problem for me is that my two cross trained people are now needed 5 days a week for food team. My ETL says it is easier if one person is in charge of WIC/ESIM/etc. Even after my ETL LOG found best practice for ownership of things like spill stations (which became mine since Steritech checks those now) my ETL won't budge. The SR GSTL is one of my best friends and helps me out as much as she can just like the ETL-LOG. I made the steritech action plan and followed up on everything, but the almost constant follow up needed in cafe goes out the window when I'm not there. Maybe it would help if I made a simpler check list for the other LODs, we just have the cleaning routine sheet they're supposed to check through and sign, but a simpler list might do the trick.

Are you in charge of the fixture room and signing compliance too? Steritech checks those now as well. If your ETL won't budge, she can just take charge of that stuff. I can tell you that my ETL always makes out the action plan for Steritech. He is a pain in the ass micromanager, but if we came back red, he would be on it every day until we came back green.

Our TL was already getting pulled for sales floor all the time. Officially having market means we never see her. The last time I had one on one time with her was when I put in my two weeks. There's a pile of things that could use coached but she doesn't have time (and probably wouldn't anyway tbh but still). Our team is a mess. It's just lucky we're all clean freaks and managed 0 Steritech violations our last visit lol...

On a slightly different note was there any direction on how to chalk the DOB after frappy hour is over? It wasn't in the Siren's Eye and I haven't seen a daily download about it.

I mean, that's what it is now, but it has a big happy hour header. So I guess just move the drink names up to fill the gap?

Back