Starbucks Team Leaders

I just don't think that my store will be busy enough to support having a dedicated customer support with one person running everything behind the bar. Right now we tend to deploy one barista on bar and the other on POS/warming/other tasks, but a traditional two person play is one barista running POS/warming/hot bar/cold bar with the other doing customer support. Can the customer support barista DO the other tasks we need done, such as pulling pastries or making whips? Because the lobby is never going to be dirty enough/there won't ever be so many dishes that the customer support barista is busy most of their shift.

That’s what we’ve been having an issue with especially since we don’t have a lobby but yes I think they should also be doing all those extra tasks

I just don't think that my store will be busy enough to support having a dedicated customer support with one person running everything behind the bar. Right now we tend to deploy one barista on bar and the other on POS/warming/other tasks, but a traditional two person play is one barista running POS/warming/hot bar/cold bar with the other doing customer support. Can the customer support barista DO the other tasks we need done, such as pulling pastries or making whips? Because the lobby is never going to be dirty enough/there won't ever be so many dishes that the customer support barista is busy most of their shift.
You can use the “flex” two barista play. We customize the plays to our store, and take turns switching the roles. Which for the most part comes out to equal work/responsibilities for both baristas.

Does anyone have a part number for the A-frame? I'm trying to order it from the LSR and they are requesting a part number.

Does anyone have a part number for the A-frame? I'm trying to order it from the LSR and they are requesting a part number.
The Starbucks master list says to ask mySupport about it so it doesn't list a DPCI, but it does list a SKU, which is probably what the LSR would want anyway. 11007279.

You can use the “flex” two barista play. We customize the plays to our store, and take turns switching the roles. Which for the most part comes out to equal work/responsibilities for both baristas.

But you're not supposed to use flex plays for more than two hours, because then the customer support cycle suffers. I'm kinda confused as to what my TL's expectations are, so I'm gonna talk with her next time I see her.

But you're not supposed to use flex plays for more than two hours, because then the customer support cycle suffers. I'm kinda confused as to what my TL's expectations are, so I'm gonna talk with her next time I see her.
You are correct, however you know the situation on the ground, like most Tarbucks, you probably are understaffed. The customer support cycle is bound to suffer. Try maintaining a 1 barista play on a weekend (which I am sure you’ve experienced). What Starbucks wants and what Target wants/delivers is very different. You just have to find the middle ground.
So if you are flexing 90% of the time, you have two options ; ask for additional help (haha) or just flex , flex and flex. The first option is what Starbucks wants and expects. The second option is what Target is content with.

You are correct, however you know the situation on the ground, like most Tarbucks, you probably are understaffed. The customer support cycle is bound to suffer. Try maintaining a 1 barista play on a weekend (which I am sure you’ve experienced). What Starbucks wants and what Target wants/delivers is very different. You just have to find the middle ground.
So if you are flexing 90% of the time, you have two options ; ask for additional help (haha) or just flex , flex and flex. The first option is what Starbucks wants and expects. The second option is what Target is content with.

I don't believe for a second that if we are running a two barista flex play all day long that somehow that's going to correlate to Target finding more hours to support the Starbucks business (unless they decide to stop underscheduling Starbucks by 50 hours a week?) like my TL is leading us to believe. Our customer connection scores are in the toilet right now, but how are we supposed to connect with everyone on a one barista play or even a two barista flex play?

I am excited for there to be set roles for each barista when we have three or more of us there. But everyone else is gonna fight to be customer support....

I don't believe for a second that if we are running a two barista flex play all day long that somehow that's going to correlate to Target finding more hours to support the Starbucks business (unless they decide to stop underscheduling Starbucks by 50 hours a week?) like my TL is leading us to believe. Our customer connection scores are in the toilet right now, but how are we supposed to connect with everyone on a one barista play or even a two barista flex play?

I am excited for there to be set roles for each barista when we have three or more of us there. But everyone else is gonna fight to be customer support....
Like I said before, you can switch the roles mid shift. It not only brings a new perspective to each role , it also ensures equal workload. You can’t just be like “I am going to be in customer support role for my 8hr shift”, you have to switch roles midway through your shift, suggest that to your TL. Its the only way it’ll work.

Holiday PPV made its way to a Facebook / Reddit Group I'm in. LSCH is getting discontinued (not really Surprised)!
Joy Blend Tea and Holiday Spice Flat White not returning this year. Toasted White Mocha, Caramel Brulee, Gingerbread, Chestnut Praline, and Eggnog Lattes make their return. With the 2018 new Holiday addition being: Juniper Latte with Citrus Pine Topping

Last edited:
Anyone have tips to help with gnats? Our new party case is riddled with holes that let them into it and makes it look icky with them getting into it :( we tried using the small traps and leaving one in the case but they aren’t even attracted to the trap

Trying putting a fan infront of the case. To make it hard for them to fly in. Make sure your team shuts the case after opening each time.

Gnats/fruits flies are usually attactrf to our area.

Clean all drains twice day. And clean your entire bar area. Syrup splatter or anything they would attract then. Clean floor mats and mop each night. Make sure there is no pool of water anywhere. Infusion teas attract fruit flies. Keep them in the refrigerator.

Holiday PPV made its way to a Facebook / Reddit Group I'm in. LSCH is getting discontinued (not really Surprised)!
Joy Blend Tea and Holiday Spice Flat White not returning this year. Toasted White Mocha, Caramel Brulee, Gingerbread, Chestnut Praline, and Eggnog Lattes make their return. With the 2018 new Holiday addition being: Juniper Latte with Citrus Pine Topping

Soooo about this reddit/facebook group, may I ask which one gets this fancy info early?

Trying putting a fan infront of the case. To make it hard for them to fly in. Make sure your team shuts the case after opening each time.
Clean all drains twice day. And clean your entire bar area. Syrup splatter or anything they would attract then. Clean floor mats and mop each night. Make sure there is no pool of water anywhere. Infusion teas attract fruit flies. Keep them in the refrigerator.
^This.
We have a small clip-on fan near our case & it does the trick but - as Asuras says - make SURE it's kept closed.
After wiping out your pastry case at close, take your vacuum & go around the door tracks for crumbs.

Why does everything have to be topped with foam? Do you think it enhances/adds to the flavor or is it just a gimmick?

Edit:- personally, I can live without it. Except for the salted cream. Gotta have the salted cream like once a week

Last edited:
I vote gimmick.
How many of these 'new' drinks are simply retreads of older drinks with a few sprinkles or toppings?

Anyone have tips to help with gnats? Our new party case is riddled with holes that let them into it and makes it look icky with them getting into it :( we tried using the small traps and leaving one in the case but they aren’t even attracted to the trap
Fruit flies also hate the smell of mint. We usually hide a couple tea bags of the mint majesty where guests are likely to not notice them (under a panini or between the metal rack and tray of the display shelf, recommend cutting off the string). It helped us a lot, though I am not sure if gnats hate mint. I know they hate lavendar and lemon.

Back