Archived ULV SuperTarget Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several ULV SuperTargets are about to start their test where just about all production is stopped in the food departments. Bakery, Deli, and Food Avenue are the big targets, but it's a store wide thing to also reduce TL headcount and store hours. Each store is piloting it themselves, and I'm not sure on exactly how many stores are doing it.

What's changing:

Bakery:
  • Bakery product will no longer be baked in the morning, and will come in pre-packaged and just need to thaw
  • Bakery TMs will be responsible for putting product on floor and QMOS, Backroom team pulls and backstocks
  • Baker position has been eliminated
  • Einstein bagels will remain due to contract, and will be the only items still baked in the Bakery
  • Bakery will close at 5:00 pm
  • Cake Decorator will remain

Deli:
  • Deli will no longer produce any sandwiches or salads, everything will come in pre-packaged (similar to Pfresh Food Avenue)
  • Hot case will be removed (fried chicken, potato wedges, rotisserie chicken, chicken tenders)
  • Chub case will be removed (sliced cheeses/meats)
  • Like the Bakery, Deli will simply place product on floor and QMOS, Backroom team does pulls and backstock

Food Avenue:
  • Hours change to 11am-7pm
  • Hot dogs will be removed, leaving pretzels and popcorn as the only food options produced
  • Cookies now come in frozen in every store, and will remain
  • Pizza will remain due to contract, but it is being worked on to lose Pizza Hut Express

• One TL will take over the Bakery, Deli, and Food Avenue.
  • Fitting Room Operator position has been eliminated, either Human Resources, Guest Services, or Electronics will take over Operator duty, and a call button will be added to the Fitting Room.
  • Hours are about halved in each food department that has seen changes. Store hours may change to 9:00am-9:00pm.

I'm sure there's more changes that I haven't heard about in this test. I can't possibly see this test working, and is in my eyes a good sign that Target is on a downward spiral. I'd love to get any more information on this test, or opinions on these changes. They personally have really killed what little morale most of my store had.

This sounds like a disaster. A bakery and deli are pretty much expected in a full service grocery store. Heck, many guests wish we had a bakery and deli counter in my PFresh store. Just seems like it's destined for failure. Sort of sounds like Target wants to get out of the food production business.

Although, I do have to say that having been a TL in a super, most of the hours seem to go to logistics and food areas. I'm sure no one will see those hours though, they'll just disappear.

The HR TM answering the phone during the day is standard for many stores.
The call button for the fitting room is interesting.
Yet another button to make people crazy.

The HR TM answering the phone during the day is standard for many stores.
The call button for the fitting room is interesting.
Yet another button to make people crazy.

Most stores I've been in need an actual receptionist/switchboard operator lol. The call volume is ridiculous most days.

I get the moves related to food, but I don't quite understand the changing hours to 9a-9p. It would make more sense to change store hours to 8am-9pm. My store is a low volume pfresh and guest services answers the phone and we only have about half the day covered at the fitting room. The call button is a horrible idea-with the theft that happens in the FR!

I'm curious to hear more! Keep us updated!

Talk about a company heading down hill. It is amazing how fast Target is being driven into the ground.

I really find it interesting that they chose to do this test going into Q4, where we normally build the loyalty of new guests. Now we're going to alienate them with no service in the Deli/Bakery and basically no choices at Food Avenue.

I really find it interesting that they chose to do this test going into Q4, where we normally build the loyalty of new guests. Now we're going to alienate them with no service in the Deli/Bakery and basically no choices at Food Avenue.

Pretty much. There's a certain level of service people expect to see at deli counters. Bakery won't be too bad off since the cake decorator will still be around but deli will be screwed if I am reading this right. By removing the cheese/meat case, I assume this means they won't be slicing anymore? Do they plan to just sell prepackaged meats and cheeses there now? If so, they need to remember that people don't go to the deli for prepackaged stuff, that's what meat market and dairy are for.

Having a heavy background in grocery stores before working for Target, this really bugs me.

The pre-made cookies are dick and I want the head of the Target exec that made that decision. Same with this Jamba Juice nonsense.

Our FATL set out samples of the new cookies in the breakroom.
Normally food disappears like a swarm of locusts swept through but these were scarcely touched.

don't know much about the bakery/deli processes anymore, but nothing prepackaged is going to be as good. i dont understand why we even have a food ave with the profitability being so low. are they going without an operator during q4 as well? how in the world is gs/hr/electronics gonna answer the 9304 calls about the hot toy/new release of the day? they can't have hr work 24/7. it's already a headache with hr answering because of orientations/breaks/etc. no one wants to cover her.
good luck to everyone piloting this horse mess.

I can't imagine any scenario where electronics or guest services taking over as operator will work.

The fitting room gives the phones over to guest service nightly at my store so they can get their zone on... as early as possible, taking into consideration how busy it's been.

Holy cow! My store isn't a LV store by any means, but I can't imagine my store not having anyone at the fitting room. My HR team is awesome and works really hard, but I can't imagine them having to answer the phone and having to do their work. My electronics team is ALWAYS busy unless it's DEAD in the store. Also guest service is always busy, I just can't image how my store would function. The call box at the FR is a horrible idea, not only is it another call box I have to worry about among (Baby, HAB, Domestics, Toys, Sporting goods, seasonal, home improvement, and electronics (when my electronics TM is busy)) but now I am really going to have to worry about people going in and stealing stuff...aaaarrgghh.

Since the FR isn't really monitored that much in most Targets anyway I don't see any increase in theft. The operator's job has been changed over the last few years to be so much more than just answering phones and screening guests that try on clothes. They have to do re-wrap, re-ticket, hang all clearance clothes, zone nearly all of RTW and/or Men's, check the FR for theft tickets, plus try to grab the phone before the guest hangs up. And STILL some think all they do is sit and answer the phone. She/he hasn't got time to even begin to count items guests take in and bring out of the rooms. Sorry for the rant, but I used to be operator/FR for a couple years and I really got steamed when others thought it was an easy cushy job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back