Archived Who factors in your review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you're a TM, does just your TL factor in how your review is? Or does the ETL of the department have a say in what goes on your review??
Just anything about how reviews work please :)

Each store is given a certain amount that its allowed to do in raises. Thus generally you will see ETLs/SrTLs giving out the best raises to their favorites first. After that, your TLs are told what they are allowed to do and go from there. There may be some slight differences store to store, but that's generally how it works. If you are not beloved by all your superiors and/or a hard worker, don't be surprised by that mediocre or no raise at all. You'd be surprised how little say some TLs have in their decision. While I at one point had decent freedom to do as I pleased, I also walked into an era where I had to decide between giving a TM a much lower raise than they deserved or giving another one a penny raise.

I was a cashier and my direct GSTL along with the other GSTL and ETL-GE discussed, or possibly ranked, everyone on the front end, and then gave everyone a rating. Then my GSTL decided how much money to attach to that rating...at least this is what my GSTL told me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah so tl's do the reviews, I'm sure the etl can have some say. Also I was told everyone gets a raise, whether it be small or slightly larger than small... Hr takes care of raises from my understanding. Also don't be surprised if hr starts to ask you about how your team lead is doing... You can either choose to be candid and tell the truth or not... But this is factored into the tl's review, or at least at my store it is.

Your O, EX, E, IE, UE rating is determined ahead of your merit raise. Your HR ETL, ETL, and TL meet to rank and determine that ahead of writing reviews. The HR ETL then gets approval along with edits with the HR DTL on thsoe scores. Then drafts are done by TL approved, with suggestions by ETL. Merit is HR ETL determination. If you are the go to TM for what have you, the merit should be within reason, but if your more or less unreliable, in schedule, task, availability, with poor attitude, don't expect a high merit increase in your pay....

My review will be hilarious this year, will be given to be by my "new" TL of two months, but based on "mostly" as my work as a PA. with input given from my old TL who stepped down a few days after I asked to take over as signing TM and how technically is actually "lower" on the totem I guess you could say, but this is her second job now so whatever.

Everybody is so wishy washy on here...it honestly worries me that no store is doing reviews the correct way. In my store we the tl's get together decide on a letter grade for all team members then etl's can have a say but it generally gets agreed upon. The. The tl writes the review it goes for any edits to hr or your etl Then you get them back fix anything necessary then you write the merit down that is already on a sheet of paper provided by hr and deliver it to the team member

I think Backroom81 nailed it. With a touch of cmat21. My TL told me they have no say in our review score. It's given to them. Based on that score, they have to write a review that is supportive of why we are receiving it. The store only has so much $ to dole out. That is based on all the metrics that are gone over in huddles. Red cards. Service calls. Guest satisfaction score. Etc. You meet all the matrix, you have more $ to give for raises. You don't, you have less. If you are a good kid, good raise. Problem child...... maybe not, unless SOMEONE likes you. So in theory, you TL could hate you and your HR & STL could love you & see all the amazing good you do. And SUDDENLY you are no longer a problem child. But as the story goes ASANTS. And I hate that term, but I'm guessing that the majority of us operate this way, with an odd few that don't.

I think Backroom81 nailed it. With a touch of cmat21. My TL told me they have no say in our review score. It's given to them. Based on that score, they have to write a review that is supportive of why we are receiving it. The store only has so much $ to dole out. That is based on all the metrics that are gone over in huddles. Red cards. Service calls. Guest satisfaction score. Etc. You meet all the matrix, you have more $ to give for raises. You don't, you have less. If you are a good kid, good raise. Problem child...... maybe not, unless SOMEONE likes you. So in theory, you TL could hate you and your HR & STL could love you & see all the amazing good you do. And SUDDENLY you are no longer a problem child. But as the story goes ASANTS. And I hate that term, but I'm guessing that the majority of us operate this way, with an odd few that don't.
Like I said I'm a tl and we all sat down and discussed what our team members get and we fight for or against them. I have a feeling some tl's say they don't have a say just to relieve some awkward score tension

Don't take the reviews seriously AT ALL. It's all based on favoritism and money. For me, the TL doing my reviews isn't the TL I work with. I work with this TL maybe once a month, and only see her once a week at most, but the TL I actually work with was told he wasn't allowed to have a say in my review.

I runt he meat department in a Super Target. So I only manage a small team. So I just have a sit down with my ETL HR and discuss what each of my team members earned. And that is what they end up getting.

Like I said I'm a tl and we all sat down and discussed what our team members get and we fight for or against them. I have a feeling some tl's say they don't have a say just to relieve some awkward score tension

Every TL at my store has said they get virtually no say in the scores. It's nice that your ETLs actually care about input from their subordinates, but ASANTS.

The store only gets so much money for raises so pretty much your review score will be whatever they can afford. Your TL might think your an O but, money wise you have be an E so you get and E with a review that has been copy pasted a couple dozen times because everybody is getting the same score.

I pretty much led the way in who got what rating. I think they moved 1 person down but it was mostly fair he wasn't with us for the whole year. My ETL had me give my rating and then if she disagreed we talked it over. We only talked over 3 and like I said only 1 dropped. HR didn't really say anything.

Last edited:
When do reviews happen? I started in November.. Would I still get one or do i have to be there a year before a review/possible raise? They haven't said much of anything at our store. Do you sit down with someone or do they just give you a paper with the review on it?

When do reviews happen? I started in November.. Would I still get one or do i have to be there a year before a review/possible raise? They haven't said much of anything at our store. Do you sit down with someone or do they just give you a paper with the review on it?
You will get a review. You sit down with your TL (usually).

last year when i got my review i was only there for three and a half months, my tl at the time just told me that i was working out and that i wasn't able to get a full raise because i hadn't been there for a long time... but i still got a slight boost in pay.

For the overnight team we have one TL out of the three who reviews us, and the STL approves the review.

Last year mine was done by the one TL who I'm always getting into conflicts of interest with. This year I hope it's either the geek culture TL, or the TL I'm crushing on.

Has anyone ever been in a situation where they are literally split between two work centers? My primary one is NOT the one doing my review. I'm pretty much literally 50/50 but I don't understand why my assigned center/TL/ETL are not involved with my review. How do they choose who writes it?

I'm pretty upset that no one informed me that my primary work center and bosses aren't writing my review . I feel very comfortable with them and they think highly of me (as far as I know). I can't say the same for work center #2 (the review writers this time around).

Last edited:
Has anyone ever been in a situation where they are literally split between two work centers? My primary one is NOT the one doing my review. I'm pretty much literally 50/50 but I don't understand why my assigned center/TL/ETL are not involved with my review. How do they choose who writes it?

I'm pretty upset that no one informed me that my primary work center and bosses aren't writing my review . I feel very comfortable with them and they think highly of me (as far as I know). I can't say the same for work center #2 (the review writers this time around).
Mine had been like this most of the time. Our store they will discuss it at their weekly meeting if they don't know you. Easier to match your review grade if they can pin point why you don't get top tier review.

Looks like it's done differently in different places.

At my store, STL, ETL-HR, ETL-GE/SF/LOG sat down with their respective TL teams to all assign what we thought each TM deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back