Archived Project Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can be in multi locations in mmb. Just flex the discontinued stuff to the floor & label it.

Discontinued MMB shouldn't be flexed because then it is a giant pain to find for the MIRs.

Flexing D-Code MMB can be done if done intelligently and with the Scanback schedule in mind. So I suppose since most stores treat MMB like a red headed step child, yeah...you shouldn't flex in MMB.
With a new stl & dtl in my district, they are looking for flexed movies on the front end caps in the empty spots. I do it on the main focal & 5.00 end cap(all 4 sides). Plus, I let my flow electronic tm know where it is, too.

How many outs do y'all have to need to flex discontinued out to the floor?

When you are doing a reset on the focal. You will notice the same titles of the new set are in other places, then you see only 1 copy there, what should take it or leave it? Leave it, because of the titles you took down have no home. Then, follow up the next week, to push out via exf any missing titles, if they came in. We got only 2 titles in the following week, per my tm after shooting several exf's all week.

I'm jealous that there are still stores out there that have time to do anything other than streetdates in mmb. It doesn't even get researched half the time in my location. Flexing dcode sounds like a far away dream.

TL rarely set sales planners at my store. They leave that for team members and are in tsc on the computer rarely will you see one set one in hard lines. Might be why they are always behind.
TLs set most of the salesplanners themselves in my store. That being said, they rarely get done. I was prepping ad yesterday while the HL Sr TL was complaining about how they don't have enough *anything* to get it done. Time, space, manpower...

I'm sorry, but where I come from (jobs before Spot) we came up with a workload plan and chipped away at it until it's done. We also delegated. When I did FRO, I maintained the mens basics gondolas. It made me shudder when there are 8 endcaps and only 1-2 were set. I managed to get it to a point where I could reliably maintain 3 of them. This is where I hope our new STL plays hardball, because apparently someone who makes more money than all of us decided that these salesplanners should be set. Brand image is just that, brand image. When I walk into a neighboring Target I see endcaps set and merchandised. When I come back and asked about setting it (since the product was in the back) I was told that "we're cross-merchandising on this endcap..." So hanging a shirt and pants on an endcap is going to create more sales than selling these other 10 items from the backroom?

I'm jealous that there are still stores out there that have time to do anything other than streetdates in mmb. It doesn't even get researched half the time in my location. Flexing dcode sounds like a far away dream.

my store has a history of going its own way. Our numbers are good so I think The Man lets it ride.

-Edit-
"out" to "our" kinda changes it a bit or a lot depending on the way you're looking at it.

Last edited:
so with viper, who now pulls and backstocks everything for pog team with no backroom team?

If every zone can't be filled, items with low shelf capacities need to be focused on. Who gives a shit if a grocery item sells?

the thing with shelf capacities is that a fair number of them are wrong. I've seen it mostly in Entertainment. the capacity does not take into account the silly plastic anti-theft condom that has to be put on and oh bloody 'ell how could I forget the spider wrap, those things are just a PITA.
It can be in multi locations in mmb. Just flex the discontinued stuff to the floor & label it.

Flex discontinued!???! you want instocks to come hunt me down and shove my body into the bailer don't you?

but any who, it is not the multiple locations that are not the problem at hand, that is another whole issue, it is individual locations capacity that is off. the store capacity is off because the individual locations are wrong. got product galore but taking into account keepers and spiderwraps the amount the system wants out does not fit.
If you print a flex label (do they still have those with no line #'s?) instocks should know not to research it. At my old store we used the flip-clip label holders for any flexed item, leaving the original label under it so it could easily be researched by flipping up the label holder. We only flexed nop or disc so there would not be a duplicate untied location issue.

Last edited:
Whenever the opportunity presents itself I'll mention VIPER to a TL or an ETL. No one has ever dismissed it as a real possibility. I mentioned it again today and the reaction was that something was on the horizon but basically they couldn't confirm or deny it.

so with viper, who now pulls and backstocks everything for pog team with no backroom team?

I have heard a few months back before I heard anything about this "Project Viper" that there was some sort of pilot that would make the DC trucks have more repacks and less casepacks in which would all go directly to the salesfloor and their would be minimal backstock besides PIPO skids and other high impact items. I was told that this was to almost eliminate the need for backroom team members, and then I see this thread and think...ahhh those fit together.
I'll have to check on the DC Forum to see if any of them have noticed more repacks being sent to certain stores.

I have heard a few months back before I heard anything about this "Project Viper" that there was some sort of pilot that would make the DC trucks have more repacks and less casepacks in which would all go directly to the salesfloor and their would be minimal backstock besides PIPO skids and other high impact items. I was told that this was to almost eliminate the need for backroom team members, and then I see this thread and think...ahhh those fit together.
I'll have to check on the DC Forum to see if any of them have noticed more repacks being sent to certain stores.

I hope the trucks don't go "all repack." If the repacks will be anything like they are now there's little rhyme or reason to how they're packed.

Repacks suck. They take forever to sort out. Bowling out case packs is much faster. I can't even imagine the "typical" Flow Team member trying to work out repacks without a PDA. Shoot, some of them can't even read (or don't read) the pick labels we have now, but at least it's something (DPCI, aisle location, and schematic.)

Sheesh. Can you imagine Toys in all repacks? during the holidays.... oh boy. Or Back to school?

All repacks doesn't even seem possible.

Last edited:
the thing with shelf capacities is that a fair number of them are wrong. I've seen it mostly in Entertainment. the capacity does not take into account the silly plastic anti-theft condom that has to be put on and oh bloody 'ell how could I forget the spider wrap, those things are just a PITA.

Flex discontinued!???! you want instocks to come hunt me down and shove my body into the bailer don't you?

but any who, it is not the multiple locations that are not the problem at hand, that is another whole issue, it is individual locations capacity that is off. the store capacity is off because the individual locations are wrong. got product galore but taking into account keepers and spiderwraps the amount the system wants out does not fit.
If you print a flex label (do they still have those with no line #'s?) instocks should know not to research it. At my old store we used the flip-clip label holders for any flexed item, leaving the original label under it so it could easily be researched by flipping up the label holder. We only flexed nop or disc so there would not be a duplicate untied location issue.
Just because an item has a generic label does not mean that it does not get researched. When we replace labels during research, the generic label generated is for an item that WASN'T replaced. It will continue to be researched.

Just because an item has a generic label does not mean that it does not get researched. When we replace labels during research, the generic label generated is for an item that WASN'T replaced. It will continue to be researched.

We use the flip clip with a generic label in electronics/entertainment its a great clue for us as In-Stocks that we should check under it for flex. But the downside is that Flow will not pull the D-Code and back stock it when the active product comes in.. My store does not scan generic labels in electronics entertainment other areas we make that choice as we find them. Not a PTM it should be printed with its location for Flow and sales floor to be able to read locations..

Our multiple locations are a problem 3-locs and 1 on hand.. Electronics can't be bothered to flex over the outs and spot can't be bothered to keep us stocked.

Last edited:
Just because an item has a generic label does not mean that it does not get researched. When we replace labels during research, the generic label generated is for an item that WASN'T replaced. It will continue to be researched.[/QUOTE]

It should not get researched if it has a flex label because it isn't tied there. You should be using store tie if you want to give it a location and have it done properly.

Store tie only works on Endcaps that have no ties. You cannot simply tie something to a location when it's flexed there. So when an item comes up replace during research and we flex something into it's place, that new item is still active and researchable. It may be weeks or months before the POG goes PTM, so we'd rather research it than leave an empty hole.

It should not get researched if it has a flex label because it isn't tied there. You should be using store tie if you want to give it a location and have it done properly.[/QUOTE]
What kind of labels are generated when you are told to replace a label? At our store they are generics. Those items still need to be researched. Generic labels are not only on endcaps.

It should not get researched if it has a flex label because it isn't tied there. You should be using store tie if you want to give it a location and have it done properly.
What kind of labels are generated when you are told to replace a label? At our store they are generics. Those items still need to be researched. Generic labels are not only on endcaps.[/QUOTE]
That would require instocks to actually have a hip printer...I could be mistaken but I don't think the replacement flex labels are tied so I don't think they should be researched. When I flexed stuff I tried to tied it to an endcap or non-existent side cap in order to give it a capacity using store tie under RF apps. Unless they took that away it was a useful tool.

Instocks is supposed to have a hip printer - we only get one, but it can be shared.Flex labels are not tied, but if they are an active item a good IStm will know to check to see if it is the only facing (since the item that is flexed should be right next to the "replace label" item. If it is, it should be researched. Active items should not be sitting in the backroom and they should be researched to trigger replenishment. Store tie is still an option, but there are rules... side caps should not have store ties.

Curious as to what you do when it says "replace label" if you are not replacing the label.

Labels are the least of my worries.
Does anyone have any new information on VIPER? I think if it's going to happen, it's going to happen at the start of the 4th quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back