REVIEWS

Yes, it’s THAT time of year again. TL wrote self reviews and had a meeting a month ago about tm calibration. Not a word since. Anyone been told procedure/dates for this year ? Each year the whole process seems more streamlined. Does anyone know if there Is much required in the way of comments this year ?

We were told that once again there is no form to fill out however when we are giving reviews we should still give the team member honest feedback and list some strengths and opportunities. Seems to me it would make sense to bring back the guided form to fill out. Don’t we owe it to our team to take the time to actually put thought into their review?
On another note- anyone heard about review percentages being more on a “sliding scale” this year? Instead of your typical 1% , 3% , 5% or whatever they are?

The funny thing about my past reviews if you really have no idea what I do or even what department I work.

They are so vague.

IMHO that any company that does reviews for everyone the SAME TIME EVERY YEAR proves they mean nothing.
THIS. Last year my review was not written by my tl or etl and was delivered by someone that I have never worked with. Totally meant nothing with regard to being a review of my work and the raise was my chosen spot on the company bell curve. Why bother?

Is Target still doing the top performer bonus and can a person get it more than once?
That’s only given in the fall to my knowledge and yes you can get it more then once. There is a bonus given in the spring at reviews to all the TL’s based on that store’s performance and numbers.

THIS. Last year my review was not written by my tl or etl and was delivered by someone that I have never worked with. Totally meant nothing with regard to being a review of my work and the raise was my chosen spot on the company bell curve. Why bother?
My department's best TM didn't get the highest raise but the newest TM.

He was actually great but left anyway.

Are we back to the increases from before last year or did the adjusted percentages stick around for another year?

Is Target still doing the top performer bonus and can a person get it more than once?
They better be
Make It Rain Reaction GIF by Bud Light

We were told that once again there is no form to fill out however when we are giving reviews we should still give the team member honest feedback and list some strengths and opportunities. Seems to me it would make sense to bring back the guided form to fill out. Don’t we owe it to our team to take the time to actually put thought into their review?
On another note- anyone heard about review percentages being more on a “sliding scale” this year? Instead of your typical 1% , 3% , 5% or whatever they are?
TL+ now have a "no rating" review but are reviewed on a grid called a 9-box calibration, which is essentially a graph with 2 axis and ratings from "bad-bad" to "good-good".

TM reviews are still 1-3. Bad, good, great. Haven't checked percentages for increases but they're probably the same as always

TL+ now have a "no rating" review but are reviewed on a grid called a 9-box calibration, which is essentially a graph with 2 axis and ratings from "bad-bad" to "good-good".

TM reviews are still 1-3. Bad, good, great. Haven't checked percentages for increases but they're probably the same as always
What are the two axes?

That's pretty vicious ...

Don't mean to sound vicious.

Some people actually do want to know what their review contains.

My experience with reviews is much like Dream Baby's:

The funny thing about my past reviews if you really have no idea what I do or even what department I work.

It's painful watching my team leader try to read copypasta out loud.

If there are team leaders who actually take the time to put some thought into their reviews so that there's benefit for everyone all around, awesome!

Last edited:
Don't mean to sound vicious.

My experience with reviews is much like Dream Baby's:

It's painful watching my team leader try to read copypasta out loud.

If there are team leaders who actually take the time to put some thought into their reviews so that there's benefit for everyone all around, awesome!
It's great that some TLs put the time into the reviews but then have to basically give you a grade of A, C, or F.

I hate that there are only 3 grading levels for TM reviews. But even when I was a team member I wanted to know WHY I was being given what I was. What was I doing great at, what was I doing okay at, and what I needed to improve on. I have team members that could care less and it’s just about the dollar amount for them but I also have team members that do want to know. When we do calibrations we discuss why we feel a TM belongs in a certain rating. We owe it to them to explain that in their review. On a side note though TM’s shouldn’t be surprised by their review score if the leader is doing accountability and check ins.

Love giving reviews, can't wait. Only one of them is going to be a heartbreaker, a great TM who got DEO as a relative noob the previous year, but then had some serious attitude problems last year, since improved. My SETL partner and I voted for a DEO for them again, but the ETLs needed to cut one, and this TM got the cut. I feel like I should have argued harder, but honestly nobody else deserved a DIO so hard luck. I hope they don't quit, they're going to be devastated.

Having 1-4 or 1-5 scale would help for these tough ones.

It's great that some TLs put the time into the reviews but then have to basically give you a grade of A, C, or F.
I would if i could. The etls and sd did the reviews for tms. We had some input but i wont know what the tm actually got until i go into that review with them 🙃. Also i dont have time to do them so im glad my etl did it tbf.

Love giving reviews, can't wait. Only one of them is going to be a heartbreaker, a great TM who got DEO as a relative noob the previous year, but then had some serious attitude problems last year, since improved. My SETL partner and I voted for a DEO for them again, but the ETLs needed to cut one, and this TM got the cut. I feel like I should have argued harder, but honestly nobody else deserved a DIO so hard luck. I hope they don't quit, they're going to be devastated.

Having 1-4 or 1-5 scale would help for these tough ones.

"hey guy, last year I told you to work hard and improve. You totally did that but we're giving you a shitty score anyway because giving you an actual score would cost Target an extra 12 dollars this year and they just can't afford that. Sorry about your luck kid"

"hey guy, last year I told you to work hard and improve. You totally did that but we're giving you a shitty score anyway because giving you an actual score would cost Target an extra 12 dollars this year and they just can't afford that. Sorry about your luck kid"
Yeah basically. This TM deserves it, the cream rose to the top last year and this person is clearly above the other 2s. It's unfair but when the spots are limited the ETLs had to throw one on the altar and the rest were inscrutable.

Back