2020 reviews

Well, I'm kinda sad. I got an ION, mainly for not getting enough Redcards, but everything else was great. So, silver lining I guess. ☹

Well, I'm kinda sad. I got an ION, mainly for not getting enough Redcards, but everything else was great. So, silver lining I guess. ☹
If they said not GETTING then
if they said not ASKING then there’s not much you can do other than ask more. Most ETLs are careful about what they say bc they know we cannot be punished for not getting, only not asking

I know I'll get ION, my speed has never been great. They've been pushing me more and more to get faster which just isn't possible while helping guests and maintaining social distancing.

The one out seems to be answering fast service calls. They've started calling for 2 people at a time. Great way to make sure freight doesn't get done.

If they said not GETTING then

if they said not ASKING then there’s not much you can do other than ask more. Most ETLs are careful about what they say bc they know we cannot be punished for not getting, only not asking
My predicament is that I work SCO, so it is tougher to get them, but also, even when I ask, they either don't want one, or already have one. I've had a few false alarms too, where they want to sign up, but then realize they already have one. TL was very diplomatic about it and told me if it was up to him, I would've gotten a DIO.

This one just bummed me out because my last 2 reviews were DIO. But as previously mentioned, all other areas were great, so at least there's that. Ah well. No use dwelling on it, just need to step up my game and improve from here.

My predicament is that I work SCO, so it is tougher to get them, but also, even when I ask, they either don't want one, or already have one. I've had a few false alarms too, where they want to sign up, but then realize they already have one. TL was very diplomatic about it and told me if it was up to him, I would've gotten a DIO.

This one just bummed me out because my last 2 reviews were DIO. But as previously mentioned, all other areas were great, so at least there's that. Ah well. No use dwelling on it, just need to step up my game and improve from here.
Expecting the SCO TM to get Redcards is nonsense. Guests using SCO do not want to be bothered with that. I can see talking it up if a guest has an issue with a price or something where you have to go over and help them, and you notice they aren't using a Redcard or the Target app. But to expect SCO to hit certain goals is dumb.

Hope that didn't get you bummed out even more, just wanted to express my opinion!

If that is the system, it's very unfortunate. Verbal compliments by the ETL or TL meeting with you for a review are nice but truly meaningless. There's no written record for the TM's personnel file of those oral compliments, but Target does retain the written performance review in the TM's permanent personnel record.

Perhaps teenagers who are just working at Target part-time while enrolled in school, university, or trade college would not be bothered. Adults who don't live with Mom and Dad would definitely regard an "Improved Outcomes Needed" performance review it as motivation to find another job ASAP.

Yeah, I was really not thrilled. I kind of get it--not wanting to "waste" a higher rating on someone who might not stick around, but I was pretty salty about it at the time. I wasn't expecting to stick around as long as I have and it's not inconceivable that I could apply for a job at corporate (related to my day job career) and I was not at all cool with the idea of the only rating on file with Target was an ION (I'm assuming my brief stint from 20 years ago won't show up anywhere meaningful). I've also never had a negative performance review in my life, so it stung. Even if it was manufactured (and my TL/ETL made it clear it was just because I was new).

Expecting the SCO TM to get Redcards is nonsense. Guests using SCO do not want to be bothered with that. I can see talking it up if a guest has an issue with a price or something where you have to go over and help them, and you notice they aren't using a Redcard or the Target app. But to expect SCO to hit certain goals is dumb.

Hope that didn't get you bummed out even more, just wanted to express my opinion!
Thank you 🙂 I appreciate it. It wasn't so much that the review itself bummed me out; it was the ION that got to me. As I said, he was very complimentary about everything else and told me that likes that he can count on me to do my job, but that they'd (More likely my ETL) would like to see my signup ratio improve.

So I'm pretty satisfied overall to be honest. In the 3 years I've been at Target, I've had 3 different ETLs for my reviews and while Redcards were an important piece of the review, it's amplified this year. I'll just have to work on my pitch and hope for a better score next year. 😀

Got my review. It was miserable, ION. "You have to move faster. The report says x, that means you have to get it done by x. Make a game out of it, it says x, I'll see if I can get it done by x - 5 minutes!"

The report apparently says X time to finish "with minimal guest interruption"

I know I'm fucked at this point.

Got my review. It was miserable, ION. "You have to move faster. The report says x, that means you have to get it done by x. Make a game out of it, it says x, I'll see if I can get it done by x - 5 minutes!"

The report apparently says X time to finish "with minimal guest interruption"

I know I'm fucked at this point.
l
Is there a specific reason (Like a medical issue) that your speed is impacted? Other than guests?

l
Is there a specific reason (Like a medical issue) that your speed is impacted? Other than guests?

I just move slow at the best of times. I'm a hair under 5' and a bit over 200 pounds so that probably has a lot to do with it.

I was doing fine, didn't get a whole lot of complaints, up until recently when they started cracking down and increasing the amount of unreasonable times on Uboats.

It also doesn't help that I don't seem to have a home section anymore. One day I can be in B & C, another A, another D or E...I don't have a permanent section and I feel that has a lot to do with my lack of speed. The last time I was talked to about speed, I sped up--then I got shifted somewhere else. Now I'm everywhere and nowhere for long.

If this were a school environment:
DEO - delivered exceptional outcomes - grade of 3.7 or higher
DIO - delivered important outcomes - grade of 2.0 to 3.6
ION - improved outcomes needed - grade of 1.9 or lower
Can we see our actual scores, and what criteria resulted in our score?

I received DIO, but it also said I only had like 97 eligible days as a seasonal around the end of October.

I'd just be curious to see if the reason I wasn't DEO was because I had a partial year, or if there were other specific criticisms, as the actual review didn't contain anything remotely negative, or say anything at all to seek improvement on.

Not claiming to be perfect at my job, just don't think I should receive DIO without being told anything at all to improve on, unless DIO was literally the best possible score for me being a seasonal.

Can we see our actual scores, and what criteria resulted in our score?

I received DIO, but it also said I only had like 97 eligible days as a seasonal around the end of October.

I'd just be curious to see if the reason I wasn't DEO was because I had a partial year, or if there were other specific criticisms, as the actual review didn't contain anything remotely negative, or say anything at all to seek improvement on.

Not claiming to be perfect at my job, just don't think I should receive DIO without being told anything at all to improve on, unless DIO was literally the best possible score for me being a seasonal.
You used to get a written review with comments. Now it’s all verbal, which I dont like.

That’s not a thing and you can’t be coached or reviewed based on that.

Eh, our store doesn't focus on redcards much anymore, but when I worked here from 2013-2016 our GSTL coached people all the time for redcard performance.

If someone gets no redcards, it's pretty obvious they aren't asking.

I very rarely ask now, since no one in my store seems to care if I do, and I hate asking, as a result I've gotten like one a month maybe (If my review had listed lack of redcards as a criticism currently, it'd be an appropriate one), but back when the GSTL rode my ass about it all the time I could pretty easily get 3-4 a day on average. People that were better at selling them than me could get 8+ a day. I don't believe for a minute that anyone averaging less than 1 per shift is asking every guest.

Eh, our store doesn't focus on redcards much anymore, but when I worked here from 2013-2016 our GSTL coached people all the time for redcard performance. If someone gets no redcards, it's pretty obvious they aren't asking. ........ I very rarely ask now, since no one in my store seems to care if I do, and I hate asking, as a result I've gotten like one a month maybe (If my review had listed lack of redcards as a criticism currently, it'd be an appropriate one), but back when the GSTL rode my ass about it all the time I could pretty easily get 3-4 a day on average. People that were better at selling them than me could get 8+ a day. I don't believe for a minute that anyone averaging less than 1 per shift is asking every guest.
As a peak redcard generator in our store, I disagree with your "average" numbers. I certainly have had the occasional day of 3-4 in a day, but more typical would be 3-4 in a week, and occasionally as much as 8 in a week. (Come to think of it, my all-time record on one day was 7 redcard signups - it is a day I'll never forget!)

This may reflect the demographics of our store in the Greater Seattle metro area. Many people are frequent airline travelers, we are a major travel hub as well as Corporate HQ for Alaska Air Group, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks and Costco, all of whose employees tend to fly on vacations as well as business more than the U.S. per-capita average. Far and away the most common payment used by our store's guests are airline travel rewards cards. Cardholders pay an annual fee (around $95/year) for these cards which accumulate frequent-flyer miles as well as various "preferred upgrades. Airline rewards cardholders are absolutely anal about not wanting to use a different type of payment. In all my years here, I've signed up exactly one holder of an airline travel card. In our local area, this limits redcard penetration compared to other areas in the US, but nonetheless I have signed up hundreds and hundreds of red cards. When training other TMs on educating guests about the RC, I mention that you gotta keep asking: some weeks or months, you might have to ask 1,000 or 1,500 guests before you get a "yes", but if you don't ask, the answer is already no.

So is an ETL or TL supposed to sit down and actually go over the review with you? I started in the spring of 2018 and In 2019 at raise/review time I never had anyone talk to me about my performance or raise or anything. I found and read the review in work day and thought it was the most generic thing ever. I got DIO and a .27 raise.

This year nothing has been said about raises but when I was looking at the pdf of my most recent work slip I had an increase of .75, so that made me happy. There was no review in workday. But I don’t really understand why I’d get such a big increase, I don’t think I’m any better or worse than the rest of the Ff team. I only work a few days a week and don’t always have green numbers. (Most days I do though). I do try my best and try not to complain about stuff too much. It just seems strange that nobody has told me anything either year I was eligible for a review/raise.

Back