Starbucks Team Leaders

How did the TL interview go? I bet it went well. :)
Side note I need some major advice from you guys, Im having the worst time with the ordering. It seems like every week we are running out of something. Is there a way to use the mocha powder that is sprinkled on the drinks after being made as a backup mocha powder? We ran out and I was off this weekend. Apparently no one thought it was a great idea to tell me knowing the order was due yesterday at 11 and Im out sick today from all this stress. If we cant use that powder can we at least use the skinny mocha and add classic to it? I really need to know.

The mocha condiment powder is just that: NOT a mix!
If you can't get help from your sister stores, you're best bet is to partner with your ETL & see if they can help you with an emergency order.

@Ladida0905 , my best advice for you is to call some Target Starbucks locations in your district ASAP and borrow some mocha. When you do the next order, just ensure you add enough to both repay others as well as replenish your stock. If you have a company store nearby, they can sometimes be of help. I hope this helps... Sorry you are still having a rough time. This is not an easy department to run. And with such little knowledge and training, I can only imagine your stress.

Stress isn't the word. I'm still trying to grasp the orders. Plus the backroom organization is going to shams especially when the stl thinks he knows how sb should run. I really really need help with orders. I keep making blind orders with this "my device". Is there a way to look up sales or how much we sold of an item or something??..I really need help.

Stress isn't the word. I'm still trying to grasp the orders. Plus the backroom organization is going to shams especially when the stl thinks he knows how sb should run. I really really need help with orders. I keep making blind orders with this "my device". Is there a way to look up sales or how much we sold of an item or something??..I really need help.
This is when your Starbucks Par sheets should be used. It'll help you see how much of everything you're going through so you can make an accurate order.

Par sheets are supposed to have been made over the last few months by the SBTL, but I bet most stores didn't do it. They'd really only help in the situation where a new SBTL takes over in a store that already had them made.

As for the mocha, you can usually order things the day after the order is "due" and it'll still come in the next week. If I were you, I'd order about 6 cases of mocha - they last almost a year, so you definitely don't have to worry about them expiring, and 6 will give you enough for you to use, enough to have a couple backups, and enough to pay back what you need to borrow ASAP (you or your ETL should call other stores and try to borrow a case). BTW don't try substituting skinny mocha or the bar powder mocha. However, if a guest wants something with mocha in it, you can offer a skinny mocha or (even better) offer to make it with the milk chocolate sauce that we have for the smores fraps (but make sure you have enough of that to do this).

As for sales, it's way too difficult to keep track of what exact drink is selling. You'll be able to see the type of drink sold (brewed coffee, frappuccinos, espresso based drinks, teas), but that won't really help you. For the summer, make sure you have plenty of frappuccino base, and get ready for a huge rush on teas (and more importantly, lemonade) later this summer because there will probably be a promotion all about teas.

Thank you so much!..so since this is only my 3rd order..can you name some things I should always have 6+ of or more?..it's so difficult doing a blind order.

Most common things needed are going to be mocha, coffee/creme frap base, frap roast, vanilla syrup, lemonade, pike/espresso, chai, soy, whatever dark roast is being brewed, iced coffee. I order all of those items every week or every other week. For those items, you'll want to keep about 2 weeks worth of inventory on hand at all times, just in case an order doesn't come in or you forget to order something (or if a store nearby forgets to order something). You don't need 6 of all of that; I just picked the number 6 out of thin air because you'll go through slightly more than 1 case of mocha powder per week, and they last 1 year from when they're manufactured, so you could order 40 of them and not worry about them expiring (though you won't have the space for that).

Once you get used to doing the order every week and ordering all of those common items, you'll realize that it's harder to keep track of the infrequently ordered items and balancing it all. Soon you'll get a decent handle on how much you go through of each item per week just by working more, and you'll have an idea of how much space you have for each item. The next hurdle will be expirations: you might have room for 2 cases of sugar free hazelnut, but you might not even finish 1 case before it expires, so you have to order the backup just before the current bottles expire.

When ordering, you have to take into consideration how much product is going to be used up by the time your order arrives & adjust your qty accordingly.
Ex: You've got a case & a half (9 bags) of mocha mix & you're ordering tomorrow, order arrives 5 days later. You'll only have 3 bags on hand by the time your order gets here - IF it gets here on time - so order a little extra to give yourself some padding. During Q4 we were up to making 3 batches of mocha a day.
Also it never hurts to have a little on hand to help out a sister store.
As Xanatos said above, keep a list of common daily items to order EVERY week (even if it's only one of something) to keep yourself afloat.
If you have room in your paper goods area, keep some extra of the following: Grande cups (hot & cold), G/V lids (hot & cold), cup sleeves, spill sticks. Grandes are the most-ordered size. If you run out of tall cups, you can still use a grande.

Back