Starbucks Team Leaders

Same. I have been lucky and haven't had my hours cut in past years, but boy are they doing it this year. Between Starbucks and Food Ave, I'm giving up 47 hours from what myTime gives. The new STL wants me to spend 80 hours in Food Ave, which isn't even enough for single coverage all week until you subtract the lunches (which would put single coverage at 80.5 hours). I hope the next Steritech visit isn't red. I hope we don't fail the unannounced Pizza Hut visit. And I already had by far the worst surprise visit from my Starbucks DM. Monday's Siren's Eye still isn't done, and I had to have a closing cashier and the closing GSTL help me out with it Monday night.

Life is rough right now.

I sat 'visiting' with my TL buddy & just happened to unwrap tumblers while she assembled signs.
When I was looking at all the drinkware there were a few that they only sent ONE of (?!). Everything else was in multiples.

Yeah they only sent a few of the 16 oz cold valentines cups and those black ones. I didn't receive the black mugs with the wooden bottom part that was supposed to be placed on the feature cube with the coffee press.

Yeah they only sent a few of the 16 oz cold valentines cups and those black ones. I didn't receive the black mugs with the wooden bottom part that was supposed to be placed on the feature cube with the coffee press.

Those ones might be orderable. I'm not sure yet, though. I scanned every single mug and tumbler that I have and tried to order anything I could order because there are new core items. I was able to order the ones you are talking about, but we'll see if they show up next week.

I hate the names of the order guide because sometimes I don't know what is what.

@CoquiAzul Do we work at the same store?!?! I've had a decrease in hours of 50 from what it was during the holidays. My STL also bugs me about the orders I haven't had time to break down and the multiple carts of random stuff that I've shover into the conference room. With 150 hours a week in a Vol 2 store, I feel like every shift I come in I'm behaving me the bar making drinks the entire time. What time do we have to actually be leaders?!

That's something that is always a challenge. When my STL gets on my case, my ETL usually backs me up. Get your ETL on your side and have them see what's going on. That way when you challenge the STL about not being able to get things done with the amount of payroll, your ETL can help get your STL off your back.

I hate the names of the order guide because sometimes I don't know what is what.
I always memorized the description on the boxes as I unwrapped them so I had an inkling of what they were.
Even then, it was hit or miss because some of the descriptions were wanky.

So I had 270 hours just for Starbucks the weeks before and during Christmas, now I have less than 170, they cut over 100 hours!!! So needless to say my employees are really upset they have between 10-16 hours each!! Also a huge problem I have for some reason my ETL is not a support at all, she never has anything good to say and instead of being able to ask her for help or guidance I do all I can to avoid her at all costs!!! Any suggestions?? I don't know what to do.... I can't deal with her, and my team does not listen to me at so she's always on my case and they just don't listen!!! They legit have 0 respect for me!!

What's wrong with you and your team? Why don't they respect you?

So I had 270 hours just for Starbucks the weeks before and during Christmas, now I have less than 170, they cut over 100 hours!!! So needless to say my employees are really upset they have between 10-16 hours each!! Also a huge problem I have for some reason my ETL is not a support at all, she never has anything good to say and instead of being able to ask her for help or guidance I do all I can to avoid her at all costs!!! Any suggestions?? I don't know what to do.... I can't deal with her, and my team does not listen to me at so she's always on my case and they just don't listen!!! They legit have 0 respect for me!!

I'm not a Starbucks TL (Or even a TL at all, for that matter) but if your team has no respect for you, then that is something that needs to change. If they say things that are disrespectful or they disregard your wishes/orders, coach them. If the behavior persists, start issuing CA's. Sooner or later, they'll know you mean business and either change their attitude or they will be performanced out.

Exactly, don't let them walk all over you. You need to put your foot down. Find out where this behavior is stemming from. Maybe one of them wanted to be TL and didn't get it, they've had multiple changes of leadership, low morale, etc. but it is NOT okay for them to defy you. You are their TL, if they purposely defy you, that's insubordination and can put you on a final.

Set the expectations and coach when your team doesn't follow them. Most of my team quit a few months after I got promoted and it was the best thing that ever happened to me because I could train a new team from scratch. The old team had so many bad habits and decided to quit rather than change (I didn't even have to coach them lol).

This must be a trend, because the same thing happened a few months after my promotion also. You don't want anyone on your team that can't or won't meet your expectations. Once I had a completely fresh team, it made my job so much easier.

They quit because they know that the old habits won't be tolerated anymore. When I got promoted, what I instantly tackled was the horrible attendance issue. No surprise that one of the TMs that quit on me was the one who always came in late, left early and would call out periodically.

So a couple days ago as I was getting my usual, the barista (my fave one, usually such a sweet lady) was fuming. Apparently the current TL is leaving and they found a replacement. So I asked her which one of them it is, and apparently it was "one of mine" which I didn't quite know what it meant aside from someone outside Starbucks. So I could understand why she was a bit upset. I found out last night the new Starbucks is my absolutely fave GSA. The one who would always get sad and call me traitor when I took hardlines shift ;n; SO ANYWAYS I'm v confused as to why they asked her to be Starbucks TL when the only times she's been behind that counter is to close the registers. I'm also v worried that the baristas are gonna hate her considering how pissed my friend was. Front End was already pissed when she was promoted to GSA within a few months of being hired. Anyone got any advice for a fresh Starbucks TL I can pass along to her?

They are going to hate at first (Just comes with the territory) but I would advise her to status with her new TMs and not come in changing things right off the bat. In terms of operations I understand why the store would promote a GSA to Starbucks since they already know how to run the front end and Starbucks is part of the Front End. She should get to know her Starbucks DM and keep up with the promotions, ordering days etc.

When getting to know her baristas, she can ask each one what they think they do best - frappucinos, closing, stocking, opening, etc.
She can then ask them to teach her what they do best & observe their methods in the process.
A way to get acquainted & hopefully defuse tensions.

I had never even touched the screen at Starbucks until days after I got promoted to SBTL. I'd even have the barista requisition drinks when we needed to do it (I just logged in). It made it really hard for me at first, but better in the long run. If I already had experience, then I would've learned all of the terrible habits that the team had. By starting fresh and training at a different store, I was able to learn how to do things the right way. My team trained me for Food Ave and we ended up failing our first Pizza Hut visit (it was announced and everything so we were fully prepared and still failed, because of the bad habits that the team taught me).

As for advice, I'd recommend skimming through some of this thread. If she has never learned Starbucks, the biggest piece of advice I tell new TMs is that 90% of the drinks are based off of a few different recipes (flavored latte, tea, frappuccino). Almost all of the drinks are just different flavors, so learn those and you'll know most of the drinks. Then there are a few others you'll have to learn, but you can flip through the recipe cards for those for a few weeks. Latte instructions should be stickered on the espresso machine; tea instructions are on the tea shaker that you make the drink in; frappuccino instructions are stickered somewhere on the Cold Beverage Station (area where you make the fraps). People try to overcomplicate things by thinking of each drink as completely different, but they're almost all the same, just with a different syrup.

So a couple days ago as I was getting my usual, the barista (my fave one, usually such a sweet lady) was fuming. Apparently the current TL is leaving and they found a replacement. So I asked her which one of them it is, and apparently it was "one of mine" which I didn't quite know what it meant aside from someone outside Starbucks. So I could understand why she was a bit upset. I found out last night the new Starbucks is my absolutely fave GSA. The one who would always get sad and call me traitor when I took hardlines shift ;n; SO ANYWAYS I'm v confused as to why they asked her to be Starbucks TL when the only times she's been behind that counter is to close the registers. I'm also v worried that the baristas are gonna hate her considering how pissed my friend was. Front End was already pissed when she was promoted to GSA within a few months of being hired. Anyone got any advice for a fresh Starbucks TL I can pass along to her?
being a tl means a lot more than just being good at your work center. you can learn to be barista trained. a gsa has already shown they can be a leader.

that said, advice is organization and don't take shit attitude. if you have a clear routine, always seem in control people trust you. they might not like it, are used to different but if you say that by 5 o'clock this needs to be done. by 6 i want this done. by the end of the night they're not complaining that things didn't get done.

have your ordering done and be on top of the dc to make sure its received correctly. if you're waiting till you're out of something to look into things you'll frustrate your team.

just make sure they're set up for success and they'll be great.

So today I had a follow up visit with my SBDM and it went well for the most part but dang I had a burnt light bulb and she called me out on it haha. I wish for once I could have a visit where they can't say anything but it is their job to do that I guess.

Back