Starbucks Team Leaders

Look out at Sbux for anyone reloading Sbux gift card for a large amount (100+).

Look out at SD for any Sbux returns. Especially more than 1 item.

The scam works like this:
Bob and Edna are scammers. Bob goes to Target, and Edna goes to another Sbux. Bob is on the phone with Edna. Bob has the barista reload $500 on his Sbux giftcard (Edna has the actual card, or a digital version as well). Once the barista hits total, the $500 is available to Edna, who has made her way to the register with lots of mdse. Bob uses a code word to let Edna know to start her purchase. His first credit card doesn't go through, so he tries another, etc. . . . As long as the Target register is on total, Edna is able to access the funds, even though the transaction has not been completed.

Now, Edna has $500 worth of mdse and a receipt. The second half of the scam is when Edna or Bob bring back the mdse to the SD. GSTM scans the receipt, scans the mdse, and is prompted to give cash back. Edna and Bob have just made $500 easy money. And there are lots of stores, so I think they make loads of cash.

If anyone is trying to load a gift card, tell them that you first must put it on a Target gift card, then transfer to a Sbux card. They will just leave.

If anyone tries to return Sbux mdse to the SD, tell them they must go to Sbux, then let Sbux know to put the return on a Sbux gift card only.

If anyone is buying lots of mdse, stall them. This is Edna for sure. Hit wrong buttons, say the register is rebooting, whatever. At a certain point, Bob will have to give up, and they have to move on.

It is a glitch in the system, and an example of not trusting what a register wants to do.

With the Target gift card -> Sbux card, do you only do that if they're trying to load an absurd amount of $$$ on a Sbux card, or for every Starbucks card reload? I will make sure that our GS team knows to send guests over to Starbucks to do returns, and I'll show the Starbucks team how to actually DO returns (they don't even know how to do food refunds...)

Our SD has had it drilled in NOT to accept SB returns.
The last time it happened was when a cashier was trying to 'help out' at SD & didn't see the big deal.
They were booted back to the lanes after getting reamed out.
We haven't seen this yet but it's only a matter of time so I've alerted my TL & AP.

Thanks for the heads up, I’m sure it’ll hit my store soon if it hasn’t already

Our general rule is if we dont know the person any giftcard over 30 dollars goes onto a Target card. We havent actually had anyone since the very first time this happened and they cleared out our lobby of merch.

Our general rule is if we dont know the person any giftcard over 30 dollars goes onto a Target card. We havent actually had anyone since the very first time this happened and they cleared out our lobby of merch.
Who came with up this “rule” . Did AP or leadership instruct you ? Or is this something you made up?

Anyone know how to find the green "stoppers" in the order forms? I haven't found their DPCI and we need them... bad.

Back