MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pretty much. Anything from OPU that's wave required and has a billion pallets in the way is an automatic INF for me. I'm not wasting time getting that.

Can't say I blame you. I had to do a bunch of pulls for carseats for those pallets we're supposed to put out today. Took me hours, most of which was rearranging the full uboats, softlines racks, and other miscellaneous crap in the way every single time I needed to move the wave 3 feet to the next location. Getting the 2 full pallets of 2 particular car seats with the stacker was even better.

I should set up a camera in the backroom and figure out how many man hours are wasted in a day from just rearranging the crap to get through to do what should be a simple task. I bet it's easily enough to pay for a backroom person to help clean it, or a stocker to help push it.

Pretty much. Anything from OPU that's wave required and has a billion pallets in the way is an automatic INF for me. I'm not wasting time getting that.

I just cheat. I have backroom locations printed out on a sheet. Scan and grab from the salesfloor. If there is none on the floor because someone hasn't located a pallet of paper ( AGAIN!), grab the poker stick for punching through cardboard to make bales and use it to pull items down. Tends to RIP the packaging, but whatever works.

I just cheat. I have backroom locations printed out on a sheet. Scan and grab from the salesfloor. If there is none on the floor because someone hasn't located a pallet of paper ( AGAIN!), grab the poker stick for punching through cardboard to make bales and use it to pull items down. Tends to RIP the packaging, but whatever works.

I use the MyStore for my cheating. Just remember to fake stow the item back into the backroom location when you're done!

Also glad to see I'm not the only one who has used the baler rod as a grabber. Also mops since we store them directly under the paper. Good times.

I use the MyStore for my cheating. Just remember to fake stow the item back into the backroom location when you're done!

Also glad to see I'm not the only one who has used the baler rod as a grabber. Also mops since we store them directly under the paper. Good times.
Do you not have the "Claw?' I remember ordering a single or double ended stick from SAP to help with getting items that can not be reached normally. The correct name eludes me at the moment. We have 2 double and 1 single for the main and receiving.

Do you not have the "Claw?' I remember ordering a single or double ended stick from SAP to help with getting items that can not be reached normally. The correct name eludes me at the moment. We have 2 double and 1 single for the main and receiving.
There’s a “claw?!” We have the baler rod and a long pole with a hook on the end for getting hanging softlines, but I’d love to see a picture of what the claw looks like.

There’s a “claw?!” We have the baler rod and a long pole with a hook on the end for getting hanging softlines, but I’d love to see a picture of what the claw looks like.
I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get to work. We have a single and a double. The correct name still eludes me at the moment. I'll have to look into SAP to jog my memory.

Edit: It's called a Stock-Picker Hook. We added bright tape to handles because we had a hard time locating it on the steel. The one we got is 36" double prong and a 48" single prong.

Attachments

• 20190424_074327.jpg
    20190424_074327.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
My STL kindly told me that part of the new process is, instead of parking my uboat somewhere out of the way at the end of the aisle I'm working on, opening ten thousand things in plastic and putting them in a small repack, and then taking that small repack with me into the aisle to stock, I should have the uboat by my side, blocking half the aisle while I sort through every repack because zone 2 covers 18 different aisles at my store and nothing is super sorted. How is that better than my method?? Ugh.

I worked for spot for 6 years, left in 2016 and came back in March. I remember sorting my auto fill so I could make a loop to push it and leaving it in an out of the way place.
Now, I'm in HBA. We have custom blocks to break it down. My STL and I had a little chat and explained that the sort was slowed down so that I should be able to keep the u boat within arms reach, at least with the case packs. Then she told me spots way of doing the repacks. Open all of them, go through all of them for the aisle you're in, then move on to the next and repeat.
Problems I encountered... My u boat wasn't sorted properly so 1. no room to open 10 repacks at the same time since I had cases and repacks for different blocks. And 2. Even if it was sorted properly, the guest traffic in HBA and pharmacy causes me to be in the way constantly. Plus, I'm vertically challenged...no way to open a repack on the top shelf while trying to see what's in it.
In theory, this should work. In practice, it doesn't.

They don't really sort repacks on my line, just send them to the right area. 3 goes to 3, 6 goes to 6, 4 goes to 4, etc. He only sorts combos, and even then, he gets stuff wrong because scanning is too difficult, I guess. Sometimes, he gives me baby or bathroom stuff.
Sorry to hear that. The process is that all repacks get sorted on the line. That is an integral part of time saving in modernization. We even sort our softlines between hanging, non hanging and shoes to save processing time. When every repack is opened it cuts way down on mistakes. After a week or two your sort team won't need to scan to see where things go. It's not easy at first but it quickly improves.

I worked for spot for 6 years, left in 2016 and came back in March. I remember sorting my auto fill so I could make a loop to push it and leaving it in an out of the way place.
Now, I'm in HBA. We have custom blocks to break it down. My STL and I had a little chat and explained that the sort was slowed down so that I should be able to keep the u boat within arms reach, at least with the case packs. Then she told me spots way of doing the repacks. Open all of them, go through all of them for the aisle you're in, then move on to the next and repeat.
Problems I encountered... My u boat wasn't sorted properly so 1. no room to open 10 repacks at the same time since I had cases and repacks for different blocks. And 2. Even if it was sorted properly, the guest traffic in HBA and pharmacy causes me to be in the way constantly. Plus, I'm vertically challenged...no way to open a repack on the top shelf while trying to see what's in it.
In theory, this should work. In practice, it doesn't.
Your repacks should be on a separate U boat. And we leave the top shelf of this boat empty to put the items that don't go in the aisle you work first. An empty repack on the boat is for backstock. It is possible. Sort and dedicated owners just have to understand what each side needs.

Your repacks should be on a separate U boat. And we leave the top shelf of this boat empty to put the items that don't go in the aisle you work first. An empty repack on the boat is for backstock. It is possible. Sort and dedicated owners just have to understand what each side needs.
This was one of the things I gave as feedback. Right now, each of our blocks get one u boat, 2 if it's big, that are mixed cases and repacks. Most of the time it's not too bad. However, I've pulled out a couple of u boats that have had at least 9 repacks plus cases.
We're just rolling out modernization so I'm still learning. Knowing that we should do repacks separately is a help.

look what i found someone upset about their pay on target facebook community page, it is a troll only one post and no info.

Screen-Shot-2019-04-24-at-2-48-28-PM.png

This was one of the things I gave as feedback. Right now, each of our blocks get one u boat, 2 if it's big, that are mixed cases and repacks. Most of the time it's not too bad. However, I've pulled out a couple of u boats that have had at least 9 repacks plus cases.
We're just rolling out modernization so I'm still learning. Knowing that we should do repacks separately is a help.
We've tried using the top shelf and not using it. Works fine with cases but is awful for repacks. And we all know the DCs aren't really separating the repacks as planned. The sort becomes huge in productivity so we adjust U boats daily according to the freight. Like if you have a lot of soap transition and you want to flex it in clearance holes that can be put on a separate U boat so the regular freight gets knocked out and then you can PTM and print labels easily because you can see what you have. It starts with the team leader following up on the sort. It's not impossible. Good luck getting something workable for your store.

So Brian Cornell just came through my store. He said everything looked great, and acknoweldged that they know stores have been struggling with transitions and could tell where we were PTM areas. Felt really good to hear that from the CEO

Our backroom tl is quite funny to watch. No guest service skills and hasn’t a clue how to do anything salesfloor related. Watching her do toy revisions and toy focals this week has been hilarious. Constantly calling for help. I’ve put those focal signs up on my own for years. She’s not much shorter than me but can’t handle it.

Seriously???

Most people in the BR have been there for years. It’s why we were hired. To think some one punted to a new work area will be 100% knowledgeable in that area is pretty silly. And the fact that you are making fun of and or laughing at them is down right heinous but completely within the new paradigm of corporate thinking about its employees, especially logistics/backroom.

Seriously???

Most people in the BR have been there for years. It’s why we were hired. To think some one punted to a new work area will be 100% knowledgeable in that area is pretty silly. And the fact that you are making fun of and or laughing at them is down right heinous but completely within the new paradigm of corporate thinking about its employees, especially logistics/backroom.
yeah thats not cool. im autistic and dont do well with sales floor stuff. my team members always acknowledged this and have helped me grow a bit but its too hard for me. one thing i find is were hiring more individual stars and less team stars. im cool if you can clear a section and get a POG set in a 8 hours shift. im not cool if while your doing that your bagging on someone whos job skill growth was tied to timing and knowledge of backroom process's-not with how things look. in the words of ice cube "check ya self before ya wreck ya self".

Seriously???

Yep seriously. Karma. She’s quite the bit*h in the backroom and everyone hates her. She yells down the stockroom at people to bark orders. They’re giving her the worst flow members to stock her areas also. That has to be on purpose. She can’t yell at them the same way on the salesfloor.

yeah thats not cool. im autistic and dont do well with sales floor stuff. my team members always acknowledged this and have helped me grow a bit but its too hard for me. one thing i find is were hiring more individual stars and less team stars. im cool if you can clear a section and get a POG set in a 8 hours shift. im not cool if while your doing that your bagging on someone whos job skill growth was tied to timing and knowledge of backroom process's-not with how things look. in the words of ice cube "check ya self before ya wreck ya self".

Isn't it ironic that publicly, Target is all about inclusion, diversity, and kumbaya sing alongs. But behind the scenes, they don't want anyone that isn't 100% Kids? See ya. Can't learn everything in one minute? Gone. Need benefits? You're fucked.

Who is Target going to have working for them in 20 years when all these children with sensory needs become adults? "Sorry, we only cared about you when we could make money off you. Now get out of my sight."

Yep seriously. Karma. She’s quite the bit*h in the backroom and everyone hates her. She yells down the stockroom at people to bark orders. They’re giving her the worst flow members to stock her areas also. That has to be on purpose. She can’t yell at them the same way on the salesfloor.

as you said Karma is the great wheel of life we all get our time on the bottom.

But what you described is not karma it is the management at your store being petty and vindictive. which btw is exactly like the brave new world of Target.

you and Mean Girls had a chance to rise above and be the better person to show kindness and help some one that was struggling to adapt to a new situation but you didn't.

Isn't it ironic that publicly, Target is all about inclusion, diversity, and kumbaya sing alongs. But behind the scenes, they don't want anyone that isn't 100% Kids? See ya. Can't learn everything in one minute? Gone. Need benefits? You're fucked.

Who is Target going to have working for them in 20 years when all these children with sensory needs become adults? "Sorry, we only cared about you when we could make money off you. Now get out of my sight."
Diversity isn’t about hiring people with different skill sets. It’s about hiring people with different backgrounds (age, gender, race, religion, sexuality...) who can do the job. Target has no obligation to hire people who can’t do the job.

(That won’t stop them from hiring anyone with a pulse though.)

Diversity isn’t about hiring people with different skill sets. It’s about hiring people with different backgrounds (age, gender, race, religion, sexuality...) who can do the job. Target has no obligation to hire people who can’t do the job.

(That won’t stop them from hiring anyone with a pulse though.)

If you look at it that way, Target has no obligation to hire anyone, do they?

Back