Archived AE18 predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I'm reading this correctly, Dayside Backroom is still technically responsible for Pulls/Backstock for Beauty and Electronics then? Cause I was told originally that Beauty was supposed to do their own but my STL said no, and I'm now that we're starting E2E Electronics, the TL told me that he is gonna have his team do all their own BR stuff.

This guide is pretty new.

Not all stores follow. Our beauty does more (their own backstock) and our apparel does less. But don't tell the dtl that. They want your electronics and beauty tms with guest selling rather than doing task..

It's strange how inconsistent it is. The "process team" does all the backstocking for Beauty and Electronics, only black line for Apparel, and none for Market. Why? Did they just throw darts at a board to come up with that?

My guess is that Beauty and Electronics only run w/ one TM on the floor (on an average day). A huge part of E2E is to better our Guest Service .... it would be counterproductive to have them do their own backstock, as it would leave no one to service those departments. A&A, on the other hand, has several TMs on the floor at any given time..... they could easily step off the floor for backstock knowing the department still has coverage. Market, as well.
Again.... just a guess.

Exactly, they didn't write any sort of useful guide until we had all been making it up for half a year. Even then, I'm 95% sure nobody at my store has seen that or is following it.
That guide is really just what came from the rollout guides consolidated into one document. So that is not some new revelation and still has no best practice when it comes to hours allocations and scheduling best practices. Plus every group is doing things differently, so those guides are really more the vision...not the nitty gritty of how to schedule for all this workload and service.

hours allocations and scheduling best practices.

Well it does have a scheduling best practice. It says to let mytime auto schedule LOL. Enjoy your two beauty openers at 6am.

It only gives says you should manually schedule cns and your vm which is insane. Our c&s doesn't even show up on time, we push the following day sometimes.

Last edited:
Well it does have a scheduling best practice. It says to let mytime auto schedule LOL. Enjoy your two beauty openers at 6am.

It only gives says you should auto schedule cns and your vm which is insane. Our c&s doesn't even show up on time, we push the following day sometimes.
Yeah and my group isn’t scheduling hours in fitting room, but expects there to be fitting room coverage, only grocery can be scheduled before store open, and every month or so decides that we should be scheduling differently. We’re making it work, but we get a curveball every so often.

And has anyone seen definitively what is considered beauty? My group says just cosmetics, the rolloutguide doesn’t say specifically but has pictures of hair care and cosmetics, and beauty in myperformance includes haircare and personal care with cosmetics on its own category.

All stores in my area consider personal/hair care part of Beauty, but I haven't seen anything official. The sampling events have included some hair care and skin care though so I think an argument can be made to include them. Also, with all of the hours Beauty is getting, a small store can't justify a TM working only a few aisles open to close.

Beauty is technically supposed to be only cosmetics but my store usually adds pharmacy/shampoo/anything that could be used for hygiene and/or personal care into the mix.

Beauty is technically supposed to be only cosmetics but my store usually adds pharmacy/shampoo/anything that could be used for hygiene and/or personal care into the mix.

To be fair, under the Beauty Blowout thing that's rolling out, it does encompass Cosmetics (D.052), Haircare (D.063), and personal care (dental, body wash, deodorant, shave) (D.049).

To be fair, under the Beauty Blowout thing that's rolling out, it does encompass Cosmetics (D.052), Haircare (D.063), and personal care (dental, body wash, deodorant, shave) (D.049).

This is what covers beauty at my store, plus fem care. Closing Beauty TM is also expected to zone plastic bags & pets (though they don't push those aisles) as those are part of the same block as beauty.

And electronics isnt supposed to be in entertainment either, let alone toys or seasonal or whatever else.

If it's slow our electronics TMs will zone the toy aisles right across from electronics, but not all of toys.

I should say only the aisles across from the boat section, not all the way down the electronics aisles.

So in other words it is no longer "end to end" since everyone seems to now have their own flow team. They need to make up their minds where they want to go with this and be consistent across the board, you cant have Apparel do its own pricing and pogs but then be selective about the other modernization areas.

Yes, but its purely a payroll problem. Beauty is a perfect example of Target trying to appear high end to the consumer, but without providing the resources to do it. At the end of the day, they made a beauty bucket for scheduling and forced it to be open-close coverage (100 hours or more), but those were not added hours. They were hours taken from logistics and hardlines. Why would a store that barely spends 200 hours a week on trucks (for 3 a week) spend 100 to try and push a few aisles of cosmetics and zone? Most stores are squeezing out as much productivity as we can to keep our stores from sinking right now, and you want us to find ways to work trucks on less and less payroll while we have 50% of the total truck payroll being wasted standing around? Payroll also does not seem to scale up proportionally for trucks or stores by sales, so this fraction (while not as crazy) remains a large chunk in high volume stores. For example, I know a store that takes 7/week but the beauty bucket is 30% of the trailer unload payroll.

If you want to be high end, then spend the payroll to do it. Many ETLs over the years have dropped off (remember how many newbies existed?) and now those of us that remain know what a reasonable workload looks like. When leaders come in and tell me that I shouldn't have problems keeping a beauty TM in cosmetics and not have them touching other areas of freight in the morning or zoning other areas at night, I think EITHER that this person is smart enough to know that it isn't true and is lying through their teeth to me OR that they haven't been in stores in such a long time that they have no idea what gutting us has done. Either situation is not good...

Rant over...

We can and we do have 1 end to end softlines tm do softlines pricing. We also have end to end, former Plano, set softline pogs. They rarely have time to push truck.

All stores in my area consider personal/hair care part of Beauty, but I haven't seen anything official. The sampling events have included some hair care and skin care though so I think an argument can be made to include them. Also, with all of the hours Beauty is getting, a small store can't justify a TM working only a few aisles open to close.
My store always treats the beauty TM as a TM for all of A block, unless we have enough payroll that we can have a separate TM for the small number of aisles that make up the rest of A.

Well apparel gets way more hours than the other work centers for this reason. The problem is we have pricing and pog experts. Assigning our 16 year old softlines tm who can't stop texting at the fitting room to do price change is just nonsense
Those are people who should be performanced out though, and giving them tasks they won't be able to do correctly sounds like a pretty good way to do that. With wages continuing to increase corporate is hoping that we get better hires.

Those are people who should be performanced out though, and giving them tasks they won't be able to do correctly sounds like a pretty good way to do that. With wages continuing to increase corporate is hoping that we get better hires.
I agree with you 100%. However, it's easier said then done when it's not only the fitting room, it's also Cafe TM, Market TMs, beauty TMs, etc.. it gets challenging when you look at the big picture.

All leaders to be on the same page. otherwise TMs will say wow only TL X says something, my leader doesn't say anything. TL X is just a jerk. Also, your peers could get upset that you're holding their team accountable. It's very exhausting when new processes are rolled out and not everyone is working together to ensure it's success and holding the team accountable.

Is this where I read that Beauty and Electronics will have their own team leads? I had a recent change in my work center that kinda hinted to this. Any other stores?

Is this where I read that Beauty and Electronics will have their own team leads? I had a recent change in my work center that kinda hinted to this. Any other stores?
I kind of hope so, I'm the beauty TL and I also own Paper, Chem and Pets in my store and being an AA store it gets stressful owning so much of the store mix because so much happens in Beauty but I have two other big sections to look after and only work 40 hours a week lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back