Archived AE18 predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I know she's regularly identified as the TLOD when I'm working, so I assume that means she is actually a TL. Just not officially a VM TL, presumably. She could be a sr TL, though, I'm not sure.

I haven't asked.

Random question, we have pfresh and it covers a large area of the store. What do stores that don’t have pfresh have in that space that has the same square footage of a store that does?

I'm super happy with the new Red Card policy. There is no tracking of who gets more red cards. Way too many awful cashier's were being esteemed simply because they are good at getting Red Card signups.

It specifically calls out

1. Calling it a "Rewards card." instead of a Debit or Credit Card.

2. Getting people who already have a card to reapply.

3. Telling guest to use a fake social.

4. Offering a discount for applying and not being approved.

Those who obtain Red Cards through sketchy means can be coached or fired.
Hell yes bout time they shut the red card queens down.

You all think visuals is just dressing mannequins and making things look pretty. It's not. An effective visual should spend most of their time delegating, researching, planning and executing. Our work goes far beyond what's happening in the store. A good visual will be knowledgeable on the current trends, educated on the competition and aware of the increase and decrease of sales. Just cause you think their doing nothing doesn't mean they are.

... And I don't follow VMG because it doesn't match the floor pad. I don't even touch the mannequins because softlines is expected to change the ones in their dedicated departments. So nothing you are saying is relevant to my store or many others....

If this is your passion, I think it's great that you're up on trends and what the competition's doing... thing is... I can't imagine it really making a difference in your responsibilities at Target... You don't have any control over what merchandise is sent to your store. And unless you throw out the VMG entirely, you probably still display most things following corporate's plan. (Ironically, I would think dressing mannequins IS one of the areas you could exercise a little personal creativity, but you pass that up?)

And an end note to anyone reading this, softlines dominates most stores sales mix, therefore only 5% of a visuals time (unless you're an innovation store) should be dedicated to Hardlines. The money is in the clothing.
... correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't the margins a lot better in cosmetics? Do you work on the visuals at all in beauty or electronics? 95% to 5% seems a bit skewed to me...

Picking up a fashion magazine doesn't make me a sucker. Knowing what the color of the year is doesn't make me a sucker. Being aware of what people are wearing around me doesn't make me a sucker. Research doesn't mean sitting at a computer looking up fashion. It means when you walk in a store to by clothes you pay attention to the prices, the Merchandising, the selection...

Yeah... again, you sound like you're really into this stuff and that's great! But no one at the store level has control over prices, selection, or color choices. Arguably someone could be a stellar VM without knowing any of those things, because of the way Target has laid out the VM job description. Your background in the field is more of a bonus than a requirement... so it doesn't really have much bearing on what VMs as a whole should be paid.

Mannequins should only take 5 minutes each to change and those are available in the VMG. 90% of my time is spent in softlines either setting, prepping for price change, overseeing softlines truck push, checking back stock and remerching blown areas.
Hmm... setting, price change, truck push, checking back stock and remerching blown areas... You realize all of those things happen in all the other areas of the store too right? Often (but not always) done by people making the base TM pay.

Its not that I don't think all your hard work is valuable, I'm sure it is! It's that there are many people in the store working just as hard or harder. At a lower pay grade.

Random question, we have pfresh and it covers a large area of the store. What do stores that don’t have pfresh have in that space that has the same square footage of a store that does?

The non p fresh I'm training at has electronics in the far right corner of the store where most p freshes are.

Instead of electronics on the back wall they have a less cluttered softlines

The cafe is staged where ready to wear is at my store.

20171020_183420.jpg

The non p fresh I'm training at has electronics in the far right corner of the store where most p freshes are.

View attachment 4627

I think I remember someone mentioning that electronics used to be in the corner next to the portrait studio (where pfresh is now).

And I’ve always wondered why we call it food avenue lmao. The sign above ours just says Cafe.

I was one of the original Visuals hired on and I'm still at Target. I get paid senior pay because #1. I have 2 degrees #2. I understand the impact great visuals has on sales. So to those crying because of why we get paid more, many of us earned it. I'm tired of the constant whining and complaining. Don't like it? than you do it. It's just that simple.

Where Can I sign up??

View attachment 4627
OMG I’ve never seen an FA/“cafe” like that!! The target I shopped at while in college was pretty run-down so thought that was the worst of if, but they didn’t have anything like that. It looks so trashy

The Target in my home town has no Pfresh and it’s a lot smaller square footage wise than any other Target in the state. There are about five aisles of market in A block. Four freezers, I think, with mostly ice cream and frozen pizza. It also has the old, ugly Food Ave. It still has the red, blue, green, and yellow “worlds” too, complete with the neon lights on the walls. It was last remodeled in 1999. I took a some pictures last time I was there and passed them around to a few TMs at my store, they all found them pretty entertaining.

JRu5qbXr.jpg

8m5REz0.jpg

How does Target decide where to spend remodeling funds? Looks like there are some stores out there that haven’t been touched in quite a while, but our store was just remodeled in 2013, but we are getting ready to start another one in March.

How does Target decide where to spend remodeling funds? Looks like there are some stores out there that haven’t been touched in quite a while, but our store was just remodeled in 2013, but we are getting ready to start another one in March.
I’m wondering this too! Our store apparently hasn’t had a full remodel in 15 years and just had some minor remodel 8 years ago. That’s just what I’ve been told so I’m not positive. But our store definitely needs some upgrades ASAP. We’re in an affluent area with our closest target neighbors also in very affluent areas. They both get remodeled every couple of years, so we get so many guests disappointed and grossed out by our store in comparison to their usuals...
Assuming it has to do with sales/revenue based on that (neighbor stores are much bigger and definitely make wayyy more); but as we are still an A, almost AA store, it seems weird that our store still looks the same as it did 15 years ago...

I think it has to do with an algorithm. Sorry thats a joke. I would like to know too.

Very odd. Our store is just barely A volume. You would think the higher volumes would get the most of it since they make the most money, but on the other hand, maybe they are banking on building sales by renovating lower volumes.

Yeah I don’t think our sales have dramatically increased or decreased at all in years, so guess we’re just floating along and don’t need a remodel to pull us up and don’t deserve a remodel based on performance.... keep on swimming keep on swimming

I’ve wondered the same thing, how do certain stores get approved/denied remodels. My childhood Spot is remodeled and I can’t remember if they’re getting rid of their Cafe; it wasn’t like that, but I just had fond memories of grabbing popcorn and the seating was the same. My sibling had a terrible experience there, probably why they don’t like shopping there now haha. I will say the store I trained at was scheduled for some remodel and for unknown reasons, postponed, which makes me wonder the 5 Ws in life.

We didn’t have a target when I was growing up, but we did have Hills which had an amazing snack bar. Lol

From what I can remember, my mom’s store is a single door and they had electronics in the far left corner (I assume) followed by toys and seasonal because I remember the entire back wall consisted of sporting goods with the large bike rack and double the space for plastics, tools/hardware, and domestics.

That and shoes was ‘open box’ or loose on taller racks with the shelves angled and infant furniture towering next to shoes.

New layout now has pfresh all over the far left and seasonal/electronics in the back.

Last edited:
Very odd. Our store is just barely A volume. You would think the higher volumes would get the most of it since they make the most money, but on the other hand, maybe they are banking on building sales by renovating lower volumes.
The ultra low volume closest to us often gets test remodels before we do. They make at least 10mil less a year.

From what I can remember, my mom’s store is a single door and they had electronics in the far left corner (I assume) followed by toys and seasonal because I remember the entire back wall consisted of sporting goods with the large bike rack and double the space for plastics, tools/hardware, and domestics.

That and shoes was ‘open box’ or loose on taller racks with the shelves angled and infant furniture towering next to shoes.

New layout now has pfresh all over the far left and seasonal/electronics in the back.

Yes, new layout sounds like my store, only pfresh is on the right. Sbux, FA, then ready to wear is on the left.

Back on topic please.
Im betting on focusing on the backroom process. Removal of storage trailers is already happening in our district, which means only temp trailers if they allow us. Versus one year round plus others temporarily.

Im betting on focusing on the backroom process. Removal of storage trailers is already happening in our district, which means only temp trailers if they allow us. Versus one year round plus others temporarily.
My old TL said one of the Regional VPs (Joe R400 or 100?) showed up to his store and ripped them a new one because they had an extra trailer outside and had NO idea what was in it (all freight, a lot went clearance). He ripped them a new one. Think he hates trailers/containers and that’s why. I agree, and think we will see a focus on inventory management to keep backrooms a little lighter and more frequent trucks

Volume doesn't matter, the C volume in our district got the first full remodel.

Ive been told it has to do with sales, comps, population growth (Is the area growing?), demographics, per capita incom and how close are your nearest competitors . All the stuff that used to be on the expanded store fact sheet that they took away.

Our highest volume store is comping down 4 percent and isnt getting a remodel. Your GVP has a lot of input on which stores get one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back