Archived Crazy Clearance Lady

• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 15K
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a couple new guests coming into our store who buy everything using coupons and then walk straight to the service desk because they "changed their mind." Seriously, you changed your mind? The truly sad thing...they work for Target. They had a crazy coupon lady come in their store and decided they needed to make a few bucks. They no longer use their discount card because they were apparently put on final for doing this (it's something that guests can sometimes get away with, but if a team member does it, it's instant termination). We keep telling them that our store doesn't do same day returns...especially since we could just post void and give them back their coupons. They yelled at us saying that wasn't policy...ummm....yeah, it is. LOL

When they did that at our store, our GSTL goes over to the lane they rang out at & gets the coupons. They do a fix-it instead of a return & give them their coupons back.
If they 'lose' their receipt on the way over, they can't do a card look-up 'cause it won't work the same day (has to post trans next day).
I'd sic AP on 'em, too.

Our AP was on vacation when it started in our store. I just hate how they keep yelling at my cashiers for adjusting the prices of the coupons (which they are supposed to do), the service desk TM for offering to do a post void, me (the GSA) for getting the coupons and for actually checking all of their coupons to make sure it goes with the items, and my LOD for being on our side. I can't wait for the AP to get back. I do know that they are currently under investigation because they decided to hit all the stores in my area (when they work in the same district) and that the AP can further the investigation. I want the scammers stopped.

You should do what one of our former GSTLs did. He'd point out that she obviously intercepted a ticket-switcher & that this item must be turned over to AP as it is a store security issue. He'd ask pointed questions about where it was found & "Can you show my AP EXACTLY where you found it?"
Sometimes they'll leave skid marks getting out of the store.
As AP, I would find that utterly hilarious, but yeah, probably not a good idea.

You should do what one of our former GSTLs did. He'd point out that she obviously intercepted a ticket-switcher & that this item must be turned over to AP as it is a store security issue. He'd ask pointed questions about where it was found & "Can you show my AP EXACTLY where you found it?"
Sometimes they'll leave skid marks getting out of the store.

Omg lmao.

I want to reply specifically to you, BuliSBI, because it appears your final statement is incorrect policy. I have read in the best practice manuals, and asked various high levels of management (STL and DTL), and it states you can give an additional 10% off a display model. I only bring it up because even my Electronics Champion News mentioned a push for this a little while ago to get rid of TV's before they go salvage. Salvaging a TV is far worse than giving 10% off of it, and if your store managers disagree on this point I will make an effort to locate an exact quotation IN the electronics guide. If you haven't already, confirm with the STL, and if he disagrees I'll get you that quote.

Edit: Also, as an afterthought, the official policy (as of I think last year) was that you could give up to /30%/ off displays. This is obviously no longer current (wouldn't that be wonderful?)

Used to have an STL (that was before he forgot to leave his stick in his pants) that would have someone markdown all displays on clearance, discontinued, or no longer on the POG really cheap. He would then let the team shop them from the backroom. He thought they junked up the sslesfloor. I got a patio table for 90% off.

omg i deal with people like that all the time... and even worse people who take off the clearance tags and put them on regular items :excited:
suriously if you decide to take off a clearance tag and put it on another item at least pick something that the discription might go with the item you want to buy!
i had this lady the other day yelling at one of my cashiers because they over charged her for a clearance item. when i went over she was trying to give me attitude as well. she was trying to buy a $60 black coat and it had a clearance tag for $20, which looked force off from a different item. I told her that I'll see what i can do. so i type in the dcpi from the clearance ticket and the discription it showed was for pants. i explained that the item in fact cost $60, and that the clearance ticket was probably forced on by another guest :scout: she tryed to tell me that we should honar that price cause it wasn't her fault, but i told her that we couldn't do it. Whether she wanted to take it or leave it. When she finally saw that i wasn't going to give into her demands she decided to return the item and she left store. :yess:

We have had our fair share of ticket switchers. One of them was the owner of an hair saloon in the mall where we are located. We were told not to do any price adjustments for him and that if he had any problems that we should call for the LOD. I did this once and the LOD told that him we had a ticket switcher in earlier in the day and she thought that we got all the wrong tickets removed from the product, but most have missed one. He then started to argue with her and said that she had to give it to him for that price. She then said no and then he stated that he not return. His saloon moved downtown and I have not seen him sense.

We have had our fair share of ticket switchers. One of them was the owner of an hair saloon in the mall where we are located.

Did it having swinging doors & a bar? Or was it a salon?

When I was cashier, had this happen atleast once a shift.
Especially with the books that have the 30% of cover price. Everyone always thinks that means another 30% off but the discount has already been put into effect.

I always show people the price that is printed on the Cover (somewhere) and show them that IT IS already 30% reduced from the Puplishers suggested price.

Just 'cause they're buying a book doesn't mean they read EVERYTHING ;)

Just 'cause they're buying a book doesn't mean they read EVERYTHING ;)
We actually had a LOD comment in our huddle how we should know our guests don't read. It was funny to hear it from an ETL but then she's one of our cool ones.

We actually had a LOD comment in our huddle how we should know our guests don't read. It was funny to hear it from an ETL but then she's one of our cool ones.

The same thing happens at my other job, which is at a library. People come in for books to read, yet they can't seem to read any of our signs...

The same thing happens at my other job, which is at a library. People come in for books to read, yet they can't seem to read any of our signs...

"where is your non fiction section?" often while standing right in front of that particular area? :p

"Can I borrow this book?"
"Uh, no, but you CAN check it out."
"Does it cost anything?"
"???!"

Not so much that as "is the bathroom still open?" (even though the sign says the restrooms close 15 min before we close) and the people that yap on their cell phones at the desk even though we have signs that say not to use cell phones in the library.

Not so much that as "is the bathroom still open?" (even though the sign says the restrooms close 15 min before we close) and the people that yap on their cell phones at the desk even though we have signs that say not to use cell phones in the library.

I get that at the gas station. Even when there's a sign flat out saying OUT OF ORDER. Suck it up men, it's overnight. Deader then Elvis. I think you can stand to step into a female washroom and take a piss. It won't hurt.

We've have LOTS of coupon issues lately to the point that I wish that corp would simply do away with adjusting coupons for less.
At Walmart, they've always told me that coupons couldn't be used on items that cost less than the coupon amt.

Walmart's coupon policy allows for overage on coupons. That means you can buy an item for $1 and use a $2 off coupon for it and get the dollar in credit to apply to the rest of your purchase or get cash back. My wife has been given money back after her coupons several times. She carries a copy of every stores coupon policy in her coupon folder to correct uneducated cashiers and store managers.

Target will allow overages to apply to the rest of your purchase, but they will not give cash back. Kroger does the same thing. Kinda sucks because they get paid for the full amount of the coupon even though the guest did not get to use the full value.

Target coupon policy says that they MAY reduce the amount of the coupon to match. Does not mean that you have to. Some stores do, some do not.

Last edited:
omg i deal with people like that all the time... and even worse people who take off the clearance tags and put them on regular items :excited:
suriously if you decide to take off a clearance tag and put it on another item at least pick something that the discription might go with the item you want to buy!
i had this lady the other day yelling at one of my cashiers because they over charged her for a clearance item. when i went over she was trying to give me attitude as well. she was trying to buy a $60 black coat and it had a clearance tag for $20, which looked force off from a different item. I told her that I'll see what i can do. so i type in the dcpi from the clearance ticket and the discription it showed was for pants. i explained that the item in fact cost $60, and that the clearance ticket was probably forced on by another guest :scout: she tryed to tell me that we should honar that price cause it wasn't her fault, but i told her that we couldn't do it. Whether she wanted to take it or leave it. When she finally saw that i wasn't going to give into her demands she decided to return the item and she left store. :yess:

Switching tickets is a form of shoplifting in most states. Contact AP and have them check the cameras on these people.

Bilder, your wife sounds like someone I would have a nice long argument with. My store, specifically, is one of those that doesn't accept coupon overages. Ever. And I get about a dozen of these crazy women every year trying to tell me what my own policy is. I hate those women and ten bucks says I'd hate your wife, because yelling at me is going to make me agree that much more?

Bilder, your wife sounds like someone I would have a nice long argument with. My store, specifically, is one of those that doesn't accept coupon overages. Ever. And I get about a dozen of these crazy women every year trying to tell me what my own policy is. I hate those women and ten bucks says I'd hate your wife, because yelling at me is going to make me agree that much more?

Actually no, I think you would like my wife.

My wife also works for Bullseye and will not argue over a coupon deal because she has been on the other side of the counter when dealing with someone trying to pull a fast one over on the store. She will simply not shop there when she is using her coupons the next time. Our store will do the overage thing and we get lots of coupon lady business as a result. The hard core coupon ladies in our town know which stores will and will not do the overage thing and they shop accordingly. They are a pretty organized group in our town and they are always sharing info on good deals and which stores (and in addition, which cashiers and managers) to shop and which ones to avoid. Some managers at other stores are downright hostile toward the hard core coupon types and violate their own coupon policy just out of spite.

Those coupon ladies may be irritating every now and then, but they shop a lot and they will spend a lot of money at a store that is coupon friendly. At our store when ever someone starts to argue over a coupon, they just call my wife over and she handles the situation. In the end she usually makes a new coupon friend and they join her little gang of mad coupon ladies that terrorize the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back