Archived Crazy Clearance Lady

• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 15K
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Nov. 2011 Front End News there is some new coupon info. It says that when manufacturer coupons scan for above the selling price of the item it matches that overage can be applied to the remaining total, excluding tax, but no cash back. In a situation involving a Target coupon for above the selling price of the item it matches the register is supposed to automatically adjust the dollar amount down--no need for the cashier to do anything--supposedly. (Nothing about what to do if the guest wants to use one manufacturer and one Target and that combo totals more than the cost of the item). I think Target has gotten tired of trying to police poorly implemented manufacturer coupons. After all, Target gets paid and its the manufacturer that eats the loss if the coupons they publish are easy to misuse.

I had two ladies come to my line the day after the Black Friday weekend sale ended and supposedly the DVD sale sign was still up so one of the ladies insisted that I give her seven $19.99 DVDs for $3.99. I ended up calling a GSTL over because I really didn't want to give her the DVDs for that big of a discount since she was so ***************y about it and I had already rung up several other guests who had to pay the regular price, but the GSTL told me to give it to her. Some of those DVDs during the sale weren't even $3.99.

If a sale sign is still up even after the sale has ended, most stores will honor it (even though it has an expiration date).

If a sale sign is still up even after the sale has ended, most stores will honor it (even though it has an expiration date).

You have to honor it in most states per the law. Not the guests fault that someone left a sign up.

My store has been scammed so much by coupons that we received special permission from corporate to adjust all coupons to not go over the cost of the item. If a guest goes to the service desk for a missed coupon, they have to have the item in hand and it has to be same day only. If that message pops up saying "one or more items missing" and it's for an item on clearance, we will not accept the coupon. The service desk now has to double check to make sure the item is not on clearance before doing a missed coupon. If it is clearance, they have to go through the POS process and see if the coupon will actually go through. If it won't go through, they re-explain to the guest that the manufacturer no longer recognizes that UPC so we cannot accept the coupon.

^Wish my store could do this.
It's ironic that spot uses an ISM that counts on people buying more than what they came in for (impulse buys) but allows us to be overrun by militant couponers who are the antithesis of this model.

If you're scammed enough to have 3-4 AP/IP people running around, talk to your LODs. See what they think. Most everyone in my store was ready to quit because of all of the coupon fraud...that got a quick response.

Apparently there is "hot " target coupon, on up and up paer towel ,that makes the item free.
I have guests calling in to have put aside 10 ,12 ....I obliged knowing that I would allow only one target coupon( it states so on the coupon,one per transaction,or one per guest... And I follow the rules...)
They get in a few mn later and want to use all their coupons,bummer ,we can't allow it ...sorry...gstl comes to the guest service and states the same thing,sorry we can 't accept more than one ....
We all have been briefed about it ...

Yeah. That coupon has been causing problems in my store, too. One of my GSAs told a "crazy couponer" that they could use the "one per guest" coupon in multiple transactions. He has since been informed that he was in the wrong.

I haven't heard about this in my store yet because I was on the floor tonight, but it reminds me of that Facebook coupon from a few months ago. If you spent $50, you would get a free $5 or $10 gift card, but you couldn't use the coupon to buy a $50 gift card (i.e. $50 worth of actual merchandise). Everyone and their mother came across the border to cheat the system.

Same here... and getting fed up with the cheap-arse people who buy travel size ************, then try to use the $1 off coupons for said item(s).

Yeah, I know it doesn't state on the coupon about disallowing it on travel/trial size items, and yeah, we still get reimbursed but still.... the lack of morality (IMHO) some people have disgust me.

But whatever, I suppose. /eyeroll/

:facepalm: I really hate when that happens. I had a guy get 8 paper towel rolls for free (split between two transactions, he actually even exited and re-entered the store).

More recently, people have been using those $3 Iams coupons to get a buttload (one person got 23 of em) of those trial sized Iams bags... which are $3. I make them split their order into 4 bags per transaction, but it doesn't dissuade them.

Yet spot thinks these folks will buy something else in addition to their freebies they're getting as part of the "Incremental Sales Model" they rely on.

We were told that we had to stop people from wiping shelves , no more than 4 to 5 free items per person.I really do not know the legality of it ! There is also a sign on the soft drink aisle ,no more than 6 12 packs per guest !
Guests are complaining about bare shelves ,because one or two guests would clear the shelves on the good deals !
Also ,those buy 4 get a $ 5 giftcard are a pain too .lately it was the deodorant with a peelie cpn on each ( but the coupon stated only 2 per guest ) ...some guests were irate about it ...
I am not often at the register but it seems that I attract the extreme couponers ....

Hmm...creepy couponer magnet.

As to the legality of limiting amounts for guests? It's stated on the back page of every weekly ad in the fine print that the store reserves the right to limit quantities. Target's butt is covered.

One of those couponers was arguing that we were discriminating because she was using coupons .
Thanks for letting me know about the fine print ,I will inform my couponers about it ! They will be thrilled !!!

One of those couponers was arguing that we were discriminating because she was using coupons .
Thanks for letting me know about the fine print ,I will inform my couponers about it ! They will be thrilled !!!

Discriminating? You've got to be kidding me. They're the ones who are discriminating against those who are willing to pay full price for a reasonable family quantity. Selfish ****ers.

We had to post signs near the ad boards about our right to limit quantities so that all guests have an opportunity to make their purchase &, yeh, we're ALL about the fine print.

The thing is according to corporate if you wouldn't limit a purchase for a guest not using a coupon, you shouldn't limit it for a guest using coupons.

I'm all for instituting quantity limits across the board, but not discriminating against coupon users.

All the time at my store a guest will buy a bunch of items and it's a-ok to buy that quantity, but then they try to use coupons at the end and all of the sudden it's I'm sorry we can't let you use those.

Our store would.
Our qty limit cuts across the spectrum whether it's on sale, purchased w/a coupon, price cut or whatever. Our leadership limits quantities except for extenuating circumstances (ie: a teachers' group was wanting to purchase large qty of school supplies for their students who couldn't afford them so our STL let them purchase by the casepack).

Interesting article in Time about how stores are dealing with extreme couponing (my spell check doesn't even recognize that as a word).

http://moneyland.time.com/2012/02/29/stores-confront-extreme-couponers-tactics-with-policy-changes/

Supermarkets popular with extreme couponers have a delicate balance to maintain:
They don’t want to alienate their coupon-loving customers, but they also don’t want to disappoint non-extreme shoppers who can’t buy sale items because some shopper with a file folder and dreams of TLC stardom just emptied the entire shelf of product.
To that end, some grocery retailers are adding to or clarifying their existing coupon policies.

My question is, what do they do with all the stuff they buy? Other than, return the items for full price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back