Archived Reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess in april/may we get our reviews... So how do they work? I havent been with the company for a year untill that time. My GSTL says that I dont have to worry about anything negative about me but Im just curious what goes on during this.

Reviews are easy. If your GSTL says you've nothing to worry about then that's probably a truth. If you were doing something worth coaching about they wouldn't wait until reviews, or shouldn't anyway.

Reviews, as my TLs do them, are a combination of your personal strengths and weaknesses measured with the over-all team's strengths and weaknesses. In other words, you can be an all-star member with excellence over all but if the team isn't at the same level then your review will reflect less than excellence results. One Team and all that.

Pro Tip: Never take a review personally. Listen to the results, ask questions, and understand that your leadership is being challenged by their leadership to challenge you. That means you will have areas to improve on, no matter what. (at least... you should imho)

And, of course, millage and results will vary....

Start writing gtc's, help guests, get red cards, & don't call out, for starters.

Sorry I ment like what exactly happens during the actual review process. Like do you get sit down with an ETL, TL, which one? What do you talk about? Ect ect.

I pretty much got the performance thing covered I'm just wondering what its like.

Reviews are easy. If your GSTL says you've nothing to worry about then that's probably a truth. If you were doing something worth coaching about they wouldn't wait until reviews, or shouldn't anyway.

Reviews, as my TLs do them, are a combination of your personal strengths and weaknesses measured with the over-all team's strengths and weaknesses. In other words, you can be an all-star member with excellence over all but if the team isn't at the same level then your review will reflect less than excellence results. One Team and all that.

Pro Tip: Never take a review personally. Listen to the results, ask questions, and understand that your leadership is being challenged by their leadership to challenge you. That means you will have areas to improve on, no matter what. (at least... you should imho)

And, of course, millage and results will vary....

Thnx this pretty much answered a part of what I wanted and your right I do have some things to improve on. Do you know if reviews are done by TL from the front end or ETL's? Curious because I feel that if a TL from the salesfloor did mines it wouldnt be the best. They never really see us front end people do our jobs and makes me think how could they review somebody they dont look over. *Just curious

Thnx this pretty much answered a part of what I wanted and your right I do have some things to improve on. Do you know if reviews are done by TL from the front end or ETL's? Curious because I feel that if a TL from the salesfloor did mines it wouldnt be the best. They never really see us front end people do our jobs and makes me think how could they review somebody they dont look over. *Just curious

It SHOULD be a GSTL.

It should be your direct TL that you report to. If you don't know who that is, just ask.

our Tl's are currently writing reviews. I think almost everyone has theirs done except our GSTL because there's only one of her at the moment. This happened to her last year too.. i think she's tired of having to write all of them!

Who gives out the review score? Is it entirely based on your TL in the department or is it every TL or ETL from the store pitch in?

Samuel Culbert, a UCLA professor of management, has a blunt message in his new book for American corporations: Get Rid of the Performance Review. Culbert, a no-nonsense speaker, writer, teacher, and clinical psychologist, calls performance reviews "a corporate sham" and "a pretentious, bogus practice that produces absolutely nothing that any thinking executive should call a corporate plus" in an article he wrote for the Journal titled Yes, Everyone Really Does Hate Performance Reviews.Problems with performance reviewsAccording to Culbert, the performance review is not a tool that helps bosses evaluate an employees work -- but rather, it's a weapon of mass destruction that takes aim at employee confidence and security, straining workplace relationships and ultimately undermining productivity and morale. "It is the most pretentious, fraudulent, ill-advised exercise taking place at companies, and I can't understand why," Culbert told the Associated Press.The American work force weighs inA recent survey conducted by management consulting firm Taleo, and published at www.incentivemag.com, found that many Americans wish they had more control over job performance reviews. "With nearly 80 percent of employed individuals stating dissatisfaction with their current performance review process, these findings bring to light a deep desire among the American workforce to influence, impact, and improve how their performance reviews were managed," the authors stated.This survey showed that the dissatisfaction that workers feel over performance reviews is not just about salary; they want to feel like they have some control over the process. Out of the 80 percent of people who want to change something about their performance reviews, 31 percent want them tied to compensation; 21 percent want them to be more fair; 16 percent would like more frequent reviews; and 11 percent said they wanted performance reviews to be done away with completely.-- See salaries for jobs in human resources: HR manager, HR generalist, and HR director. Why are performance reviews so common?Many companies use performance reviews to show that they are trying to track and measure how well employees are performing on the job. Reviews are often used as a way to determine if an employee is worthy of a raise or more responsibilities, But, according to Culbert, that is the entire root of the problem: Companies want to pretend to be able to measure an employee's performance. He contends that performance cannot be measured objectively, and that "the annual routine {performance measures} is nothing but institutionalized bullsh--t. They have no meaning," Culbert was quoted as saying by The New York Post.Why performance reviews cause so many problemsBecause performance reviews are done so infrequently (usually annually), the focus becomes making yourself look good for the review, whether you are a boss or an employee, says Culbert. Everyone only worries about himself, which corrodes the open lines of communication and the give-and take relationship that bosses and employees should have. Performance reviews pit everyone against everyone else. This "every man for himself" attitude is detrimental to a company, the workplace culture, and the work force.Solutions to the problemIdeally, performance reviews should be a tool to help workers assess how their role in the company can help it run more effectively, Culbert says. He recommends making positive feedback a regular part of workplace practice so that lines of communication are kept open and honest feedback is a frequent practice, not a scheduled one.Moe Jafrai, owner of professional services company HumanTouch, LLC, agrees with Culbert's contention that feedback needs to be constant and consistent. "I do not like performance reviews, but they are a necessary evil," Jafrai said, noting that "salary reviews and performance reviews are not always one and the same."One approach that Jafrai is exploring is something called a continuous monitoring review, where managers keep constant track of their employees and how they are performing, and provide frequent feedback. Through this method, reviews are based on actions, not dependent on a time frame or calendar.Ramsey Mark Elias, a payments industry consultant, has both given and received performance reviews many times in the past six years. In his opinion, "they are not causing any systems to fail completely, and they can be an effective way to officiate a business and how money is spent; but they are not always used properly."Elias says that as a manger he likes to have an open-door policy so that employees get frequent feedback, even daily, so that there is no stressful buildup to -- or distressing surprises at -- the yearly review.The future of performance reviewsWhile Culbert is leading the charge to get rid of performance reviews in corporate America, it is clear that many people are still undecided about the effectiveness of these reviews. As other review options are explored, performance reviews will continue to remain a part of many companies' corporate culture and business practices, even if they are misused or stress-inducing -- because for now, a better option has not been found and successfully implemented.

Who gives out the review score? Is it entirely based on your TL in the department or is it every TL or ETL from the store pitch in?

in my store if you workin multiple areas the TL's in that area discus what you deserve first then it goes to the ETL's of that area and then HR has the final say based on budget. if they have to they will drop you but if they can and feel you deserve it they wont.

It may be talked about in the ETL meeting or one on one with HR i'm not sure. When i gave my input on my TM's this year it was me, the other SL TL and the ETL HR.

TLs follow an "alignment". At least they do on the front end. Each GSTL is assigned a list of TMs. With 2 GSTLs, it's usually a 50/50 split. For instance, I also follow my GSTL's schedule. We both have the same weekday off, plus I'm lucky enough to rotate weekends. As such, I'm on his weekend. There's another GSA on our alignment, but they have a different weekday off but shares the same weekends as us.

Of course, it might vary from time-to-time based on time off requests, etc, but that's usually how it works for me.

For those of you that really know the ins and outs of reviews, I have a question for you. Well, its mainly about the merit raises... I know that my review has already been written, and my raise decided on. Now as some of you may know, I've been in the process of interviewing for TL (waiting on the final word). Now, say I get promoted before the new raises kick in, or even before I get my review. Will the raise percentage be based off of what I make now, as per the way the review was written, or will it be based on what I'd make as a TL?

For those of you that really know the ins and outs of reviews, I have a question for you. Well, its mainly about the merit raises... I know that my review has already been written, and my raise decided on. Now as some of you may know, I've been in the process of interviewing for TL (waiting on the final word). Now, say I get promoted before the new raises kick in, or even before I get my review. Will the raise percentage be based off of what I make now, as per the way the review was written, or will it be based on what I'd make as a TL?

Depends on when you get promoted. it will most likely be based off your current hourly wage, being so close to the "annual" review date. If you were promoted lets say three months ago. Your raise would have been pro-rated for each position you held during that fiscal year depending on how long you were in each position. has happened to me the past two years. Promoted half way through each year so my raises were prorated. Hope that helps

Did anyone read the article about "Reviews" a few posts below?
Depends on when you get promoted. it will most likely be based off your current hourly wage, being so close to the "annual" review date. If you were promoted lets say three months ago. Your raise would have been pro-rated for each position you held during that fiscal year depending on how long you were in each position. has happened to me the past two years. Promoted half way through each year so my raises were prorated. Hope that helps

What happens if I don't sign my Personal review? I've signed my others but I figure if I'm not satisfied with it (i.e. pay raise), I don't need to sign it. Would I be terminated for not approving of it?

I'd sign it, you are only acknowledging that you have seen and discussed the review not that you agree with it.

If the review is really bad, try this.

When you do sign it, below your name write the words "with caveats".

When they ask what that means, ask if you will be allowed to file a formal rebuttal to explain which of course they will say no to but you will have the warning on record that you don't agree to the review.

Shame there's no union, you always get to file a formal rebuttal if you don't agree.

Very well said!
If not just Target employees, but ALL employees around THE WORLD would Unionize, EVERYONE would be SO much better off!
I'd sign it, you are only acknowledging that you have seen and discussed the review not that you agree with it.

If the review is really bad, try this.

When you do sign it, below your name write the words "with caveats".

When they ask what that means, ask if you will be allowed to file a formal rebuttal to explain which of course they will say no to but you will have the warning on record that you don't agree to the review.

Shame there's no union, you always get to file a formal rebuttal if you don't agree.

I'm new hello! I've been at Target for U/6 months. I got my 90 day which was glowing. Now I get my annual which is horrible. I have more IE's than anything. First thing everyone asks me is 1. Have I ever been written up? NO 2. Have I been coached or talked to? NO. Guess I talk to HR???

I'm new hello! I've been at Target for U/6 months. I got my 90 day which was glowing. Now I get my annual which is horrible. I have more IE's than anything. First thing everyone asks me is 1. Have I ever been written up? NO 2. Have I been coached or talked to? NO. Guess I talk to HR???

Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to the board.
I do recommend that you talk to your TL about getting the areas of your training that weren't properly covered taken care of.
A good TL will understand that things could have fallen through the cracks and will make sure you get the training.
A good TL and ETL want TM who know how to do their job and feel comfortable doing it.

Whoever gave you your review must not have been very clear. You most likely received IEs because you have yet to learn everything. Honestly, I have never given an E for a seasonal TM's first review. The review is for the entire past year (or in your case - six months). Obviously, you didn't know everything your first day. You most likely didn't know every aspect of your position after your 90-day review (Does Not Meet Expectations is not the same as Inconsistently Effective). This is the definition of Inconsistently Effective. Do not take it personally or be insulted. If you continue to work hard and stay consistent you will definitely get a better review next year, possibley an EX.

I hope that helps clarify why you received an IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back