Archived Reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It helps to clearly go over the meanings of the different scores in the review.

E - meets and sometimes exceeds all position requirements, full understanding of all parts of the area
IE - handles requirements and responsibilities most of the time

Unless you are amazing, constantly a top performer it is normal to get an IE when you are still new in role.

I totally disagree with the widespread thinking that a newish team member shouldn't get better than an IE unless they're a complete rock star. If that 6-month team member is, at the time we decide on review scores, performing at the same level as my veterans, you'd better believe I'm gonna fight for him to get the same score they do. I'm not going to say, "Well, you're an E today, but you weren't perfect on days one through four, so I'm gonna give you a lower review and thus a smaller raise, causing you to make less money for the rest of your entire Target career."

If it's someone who was bad for the first few months but turned it around right before review time, obviously that's an IE. But I've had to fight tooth and nail for people who were solid EXs from their fourth month on to not get an IE just because they were only 7 or 8 months in, when a TM with that same performance pattern but hired a few months earlier would have received at least an E and possibly an EX with no argument from HR. It's not their fault that they were hired in the middle of our review year, so how can we punish them for it? And it IS a punishment, giving them a review that reflects their performance during and shortly after their training period more heavily than their performance after they learned their job. We already GAVE them a review for that period, at 90 days. I'm not saying that period shouldn't be considered at all during the annual review, but it should definitely be only a small factor.

You make some good points, but I still stand by the fact that an annual review is for an entire year (unless the TM has been there less than a year). If a TM is hired in April and does a good job for their first 90 days (E), then slacks off for four months (IE), then does great for four months (EX) -- then they deserve to get an IE. As Ajax stated, you need to remember the definitions of each level.

I can actually give you a real example because I personally fought for someone to get an EX until my ETL-HR explained to me why they should only get an E. They started as a seasonal team member in November 2010. Until March they were performing as an EX (very rare for a new team member). As the store slowed down, so did their productivity. Until August they still performed well, but only as an E. For some reason, they started doing really well again, working as an EX (even an O on some days). This high level of performance continues to this day. What did they get on their review this month? An E. Why? Because for the past year they have met and sometimes exceeded all position requirements, showing a full understanding of all parts of their area.

Personally I agree that something isn't right in the way the scores breakdown, but this is how the current format is, and we must write/deliver are reviews accordingly. You just need to explain it to the team member so that they understand that they are doing great and that they should continue to do great. Make sure you express how much you, as their leader, appreciate them. I've seen people go from an IE on their first review to an EX on their next, it's all about consistency.

I would be happy if they would just let me see the merit sheet - and we could just skip the review itself.

Me too. In the past I have liked to have time to sit and chat with my team lead, but this year I'm just over it. Give me what ever raise you have waiting for me and be done.

I simply hate the fact that some very reliable and consistent team members do not get a raise do to the fact they are maxed out. If they are an E, with the definition of an E, meets and sometimes exceeds job requirements, they deserve something. All stores have team members that we rely heavily on. They are not "rock stars", and they do not want to promote. They are more like the "roadies". They enjoy their job, do everything we ask (sometimes more)they show up for every shift and we couldn't run the store without them. These are the people that you breath a sigh of relief when you see them on the schedule during a heavy workload day. I personally see the lack of monetary recognition as a slap in the face to these team members who have met our expectations and sometimes exceed them.

I simply hate the fact that some very reliable and consistent team members do not get a raise do to the fact they are maxed out. If they are an E, with the definition of an E, meets and sometimes exceeds job requirements, they deserve something. All stores have team members that we rely heavily on. They are not "rock stars", and they do not want to promote. They are more like the "roadies". They enjoy their job, do everything we ask (sometimes more)they show up for every shift and we couldn't run the store without them. These are the people that you breath a sigh of relief when you see them on the schedule during a heavy workload day. I personally see the lack of monetary recognition as a slap in the face to these team members who have met our expectations and sometimes exceed them.
I have so many folks like that! Gtc to you!

I tend to think of them as the sergeants but the principle is the same.
Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back