REVIEWS

7.25 is only for a few hillbilly states where the standard of living is a mobile home or project housing. Therefore the 7.25 is more than acceptable pay. I stand corrected. Aside from the 5 or so cheap skate (welfare funded) states the real federal minimum is around 11.50-14.49 you have already stated. The 17.25 wage is still just a few thousand dollars above poverty! Anyway you want to look at it! You must have a very meager standards set for yourself as acceptable or dissolutioned into believing as true! Wow! I pitty you. Its so sad to see how low your values and standards are as to what you believe to be far above an impoverished wage earning/lifestyle living as something good. I understand being poor and doing without is acceptable for you, and thats ok.

7.25 is only for a few hillbilly states where the standard of living is a mobile home or project housing. Therefore the 7.25 is more than acceptable pay. I stand corrected. Aside from the 5 or so cheap skate (welfare funded) states the real federal minimum is around 11.50-14.49 you have already stated. The 17.25 wage is still just a few thousand dollars above poverty! Anyway you want to look at it! You must have a very meager standards set for yourself as acceptable or dissolutioned into believing as true! Wow! I pitty you. Its so sad to see how low your values and standards are as to what you believe to be far above an impoverished wage earning/lifestyle living as something good. I understand being poor and doing without is acceptable for you, and thats ok.
You stated that "17.25 an hour is barely above minimum wage." This is not true, so @happygoth mentioned that. You do not need to personally attack them just because you were wrong.

Thanks @Xanatos ! @Freakieslug I was just stating facts, so no need for disparaging comments.

The federal minimum wage is $7.25. This is a fact, and means that no state can pay you less than $7.25 an hour if your job is covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Each state can also set their own minimum wage. A handful of states have no minimum wage laws, and a few have minimum wages that are actually less than the federal, but if your job is covered by the FLSA they have to pay you $7.25. Several follow the federal minimum.

Currently, only 23 states and DC. have minimum wages that are $10.00/hr or more. Less than half. Only three (Washington, California, Massachusetts) and DC have $14.00 or more. Only California and DC pay $15 or more, and in California it's for businesses that have 26 employees or more. Less than 26 employees the minimum is $14.

Do I think this is bad? Absolutely. It's a damn travesty. The federal minimum should have been at least $10.00 years ago and should be closer to $15.00 by now. And shame on the 20 states that only pay the fed minimum or even less if they can get away with it. Thanks for dragging New England down, New Hampshire!

Last edited:
happygoth. Abit overkill but thanks for the noble effort. My attempts at sarcasm have again fallen short. 17.25hrx40hrsx52weeks is 35,880.00gross/yearly. A typical family of 4 is considered to be at poverty 27,800.00. So therefore as i originally had stated yes 17.25 is just barely above the (minimum wage)poverty level. 17.25 an hour only puts this person above poverty far enough to not qualify for government benefits like medicaid coverage, Ebt, and a few other low or no income help provided by the state. If you go off the net earnings rather than gross earnings the actual cash in hand is at the poverty level, would you not agree with my statement? Thus 17.25 an hour truly is barely above minimum wage/poverty standards.

Last edited:
I think there is some serious confusion between what minium wage (the lowest wage permitted by law or by a special agreement) and livable wage (minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs) mean. These terms are not interchangeable as they mean different things.

WTAF?!
This is a basic thread and some how it turns into a shit show.
All it seems to take is one person and we've got a train wreck on our hands.
I don't want to ban anyone but it will happen if this keeps up.
And being an asshole to longtime members in private messages is every bit as uncalled for as doing it on the board.
425.gif

You really have no clue. Lol

happygoth. Abit overkill but thanks for the noble effort. My attempts at sarcasm have again fallen short. 17.25hrx40hrsx52weeks is 35,880.00gross/yearly. A typical family of 4 is considered to be at poverty 27,800.00. So therefore as i originally had stated yes 17.25 is just barely above the (minimum wage)poverty level. 17.25 an hour only puts this person above poverty far enough to not qualify for government benefits like medicaid coverage, Ebt, and a few other low or no income help provided by the state. If you go off the net earnings rather than gross earnings the actual cash in hand is at the poverty level, would you not agree with my statement? Thus 17.25 an hour truly is barely above minimum wage/poverty standards.
Oh I agree it would near impossible to support a family on $17.25/hr if that was your only source of income, depending on where you live. Maybe some southern states where the cost of living is cheaper. Here in Connecticut one of my sisters makes over $24/hr and would barely be able to afford her own place, even a studio apartment, unless she just paid rent, bare necessity utilities, her car payment, and lived on Ramen noodles. She'd have absolutely no discretionary income, wouldn't even be able to afford to watch TV, lol.

But you have to give Target credit - in all those states that pay only $7.25/hr minimum, a $15/hr job is pretty sweet.

Oops I missed the drama sorry I hadn't checked TBR in a bit. I actually get about 25hrs/week. I do EBay on the side and profited about 12k from that last year too. My girlfriend also makes about the same as me ($16/HR 22hrs/wk). We have one child together. We own a house together (3BR/1BA making mortgage payments of $1021/mo including homeowner's insurance flood insurance mortgage insurace and property taxes only 25 years left yay!) 2 cars, one owned outright, another making $325/mo payments (3 more years), $8k in credit card debt (I know I'm terrible for letting it get that far). Other bills are Tv/internet, cell phone service, car insurance, Trash/water, and power (and food gas etc). Cost of living is fairly low around here. I feel like I have a good work/life balance generally low stress but could get more hours if I wanted them. I'm pretty content at the moment.

Oh I agree it would near impossible to support a family on $17.25/hr if that was your only source of income, depending on where you live. Maybe some southern states where the cost of living is cheaper. Here in Connecticut one of my sisters makes over $24/hr and would barely be able to afford her own place, even a studio apartment, unless she just paid rent, bare necessity utilities, her car payment, and lived on Ramen noodles. She'd have absolutely no discretionary income, wouldn't even be able to afford to watch TV, lol.

But you have to give Target credit - in all those states that pay only $7.25/hr minimum, a $15/hr job is pretty sweet.
I think Target pays well for what they are expecting you to do. It's a retail job that, unless you are management, shouldn't be considered a career or a job you expect to support your family on. If you expect someone who is putting toilet paper on the shelf to make $20 an hour, then expect that same toilet paper to go up in price.

In areas where cost of living is higher Target had adjusted, but they can't be expected to pay enough for their entire team to be supporting their family. Target is in the business of making money, if you aren't happy making $15 an hour, I'm sure there are a ton of others who would take your job.

I think Target pays well for what they are expecting you to do. It's a retail job that, unless you are management, shouldn't be considered a career or a job you expect to support your family on. If you expect someone who is putting toilet paper on the shelf to make $20 an hour, then expect that same toilet paper to go up in price.

In areas where cost of living is higher Target had adjusted, but they can't be expected to pay enough for their entire team to be supporting their family. Target is in the business of making money, if you aren't happy making $15 an hour, I'm sure there are a ton of others who would take your job.
When demands on TMs increase the way they have, I don't agree that it's enough money. We've also lost a couple people to that one silly big blue store recently, because they are paying more.

When demands on TMs increase the way they have, I don't agree that it's enough money. We've also lost a couple people to that one silly big blue store recently, because they are paying more.
How bad are the demands?! More than likely you are asked to push more truck or complete some POGs. It's not like they are asking you to clean toilets or move boulders.

How bad are the demands?! More than likely you are asked to push more truck or complete some POGs. It's not like they are asking you to clean toilets or move boulders.
I admit I am in a position that does not get pressured, thankfully. On rare occasions the closing TL will ask me to do something I hadn't planned on doing that night, like pull 141s or zone an area I'm not usually assigned. At that point I do what they ask, of course, but it may mean something else falls by the wayside. Leadership seems to understand that things are bad, hours are rough, and not everything is going to get done. They know I am not a slacker and that I do what I can, so that buys me some leeway.

Back