Starbucks Team Leaders

I never paid attention to how many stores have NNCs before. I noticed on the current dashboard that there are 116 so far. That seems like a lot, but I don't know. And 5 defaults. One store in my district is on NNC, and my DM has one of her stores on one now.

For the ombre pink drink, are we suppose to do something special. Like a sign or something? My team accidentally threw out the mail pack it came in. Safe for the recipe card itself and a new music CD.

I have yet to even get the recipe card. As to Yetive's post, a store outside my district is on their third strike. A TL from a neighboring store is being transferred there to fix it.

Trust me I know, my entire team has my number and I have theirs. She is the only one I don't have. She did what she was suppose to do. This time, it fell on the ETLs to do theirs and they failed to.

If my direct ETL and HR heard you say that, they would flip out. I already get flak about it because they know my team has my number. Well, if they do their jobs. My team wouldn't be asking me for help.

My ETL can't handle writing the schedule herself let alone backfill a shift if someone calls out. Last night my STL texted me to come in (my weekend off) and when I walked in the mid was a newbie on her first day alone and they had called in a trainee with her. Somehow they had overfilled the sink twice that day (the stockroom had water all over the floor and no one made attempts to clean it), all the sinks were full of strawberry bits and brown water, etc. I about died.

My AST has my number and so she lets me know of any issues while I'm not there, but I don't let the rest of leadership know that. We're able to let each other know if something happens and needs a response from someone who knows what they're doing back there while the other won't be in for awhile.

Last edited:
For the ombre pink drink, are we suppose to do something special. Like a sign or something? My team accidentally threw out the mail pack it came in. Safe for the recipe card itself and a new music CD.
We got the recipe card and an updated calorie count packet, but no info on a sign or anything.

So what is everyone's store protocol when the opener calls out? My 6 am opener (64 year old, my best barista) called yesterday afternoon (I was there but LOD didn't even mention this to me), because she was in the hospital and wouldn't be able to to call after that point. According the closing email, the LOD told her to call again in the morning............

Roll to this morning when I came in at 8 am. Morning ETLs were confused as to why the lights were off and asked me why I wasn't open when the store opened (we open at 7 am).....

My face -> -_-

That would easily happen in my store. The LODs would just put it in the closing email and forget about it.

I have yet to even get the recipe card. As to Yetive's post, a store outside my district is on their third strike. A TL from a neighboring store is being transferred there to fix it.
Few years ago my SBTL & I had to go to a sister store to retrain their team after two red Steritech visits & the replacement of the ETL & TL.

Last edited:
How screwed am I if I'm reading the last training guide by myself? I've been in the dept for about a month if you combine all my shifts. I had been telling my bosses that i needed to do the ast and that its a 40 hour book but nada. Now we're gonna have our starbucks experience meeting and they're freaking out telling me to read it. I've been reading it and man I fell overwhelmed. I read half through the ast one and through the licensed store manual. Ugh my brain hurts....

The Starbucks Experience training is to be led by your ETL. There was specific direction about this on RedWire. Mine went well, but ETL was a bit stiff.

AST training is a requirement. Your store can be put on an NNC if you don't complete it. Realistically, it doesn't take 40 hours. You can read through it pretty quickly. It is important to know where to find information rather than to memorize information. Cleaning and equipment manual is the one you will refer to most, I think. Go over the questions at the end. If your DM actually tests you, it will likely be those. Are you over market too? It can be overwhelming for sure. Unless your predecessor is still at your store, you are kind of on your own. No one else in the store can provide much support. Try to get some solid bar time to make you feel comfortable with everything. Lots is Starbucks experience on here, and everyone is happy to help.

Should I be filling in the activities? I think that's what's slowing me down. Yea I'm over market as Well but I've been mainly been jumping between cafe , starbucks and a seafloor shift. I get the feeling they don't understand how big of a beast starbucks is. I'm feel somewhat comfortable in sb just the crazy drinks are what throw me off. The old tl is still here but I don't think they want me picking up their bad habits. Thanks for the tips.

Well don't say you don't really. Depending on the DM, mine wanted me and my current AST to have the entire book filled out. At the very least my an effort to fill what you can.

Or if you are like my store and have a stack full of AST books from previously certified baristas. You can use those but for sure skim through and be able to answer questions your DM ask of you.

Yeah, but you can pencil whip it pretty much and still have all the info you need. The last 2 I certified had been baristas already, so maybe it was easier for them. I gave them each 10 hours.

Should I be filling in the activities? I think that's what's slowing me down. Yea I'm over market as Well but I've been mainly been jumping between cafe , starbucks and a seafloor shift. I get the feeling they don't understand how big of a beast starbucks is. I'm feel somewhat comfortable in sb just the crazy drinks are what throw me off. The old tl is still here but I don't think they want me picking up their bad habits. Thanks for the tips.
they won't want to see the binder, they will ask you about random ones though.

i had no one to certify me at my store so i'd have to go to another store to prove i knew how to do shit they trained me to do. honestly? i copied what someone who had a filled out binder so i can speak to most of it.

they won't want to see the binder, they will ask you about random ones though.

i had no one to certify me at my store so i'd have to go to another store to prove i knew how to do shit they trained me to do. honestly? i copied what someone who had a filled out binder so i can speak to most of it.
I've honestly thought about doing that but I don't even think the previous to was add certified.... I was talking about it to her and she was iffy about it lol. It's annoying cause they came out of left with it when I've been brining it up for the past 2 months. Are other stores this crazy with hours?

Does anyone know how long the little bagels with cream cheese are good for once thawed? I think they're called bantam bagels?

Question guys!

I'm having a hard time with the grocery versus Starbucks tug and pull at store. I am the TL in charge of both and was never really full informed or trained on the full changes going on and that I would be overseeing more and more of grocery.

Back in November I was in charge of electronics and my STL convinced me to take on the role of Starbucks as we were getting one with our remodel. Everyone already knew about my coffee addiction, and that I had taken on a part time job at Bux and was loving it. Cut to February and I am just getting back from my training and my store had just been built. I was informed at that time that some changes had been made to my role with AE but no one really was sure what was going on. All they knew was that I was now a Food Service TL and that I was now aligned under Food.

Cut to March when I am working solo behind my newly built store. My stl comes up to order a drink and then asked if anyone ever explained the changes to my role. I said no and that all anyone said is I was aligned under Food. He explains to me that I will be owning part of Pfresh now and would be splitting my time between there and pfresh. I explained to him my hesitations the main one being I never wanted to own grocery. I wanted to support my baristas and be where my passion was. I said I would try my hardest but I was not excited for these changes.

Cut to April where I am told I would be owning Meat, Produce, Dairy and would split my time. 2 days bux, 2 days fresh. Weekends i would be in bux cause that's where our business is. They then started to schedule crazy things. Baristas would be working solo all from like 7 am - 3 pm on fridays with no break coverage besides me(I'm scheduled in Consumables) and I was suppose to ignore it "Because I'm Food today". Or they expect me to work in Food the day the Starbucks load is delivered and they schedule no one to work it.

Cut to today where I'm told that I will eventually be owning all of grocery including dry. I would also be working 34 hours a week in Consumables and 6 hours in bux. Behind the bar, closing the store on my closing night to work. Of course I had objections to this. Where was time for the Starbucks load, where was the time for my cleaning? Sirens eye? Training on new promos? Anything? I was told "we need the team to cut the cord and have the team be less reliant on you".

So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to own grocery and never did. And was never fully explained what was happening in my roles. I want to be with my team where my passion and love is, and I feel it's unfair I only get 6 hours. No where near enough to maintain Starbucks standards. What to do?

Sounds exactly like my store, except they called me into an office to officially explain everything all at once. And that's why I stepped down from being a TL. Now I'm a barista at another store. I guess I won't be much help here lol... But I feel your pain. All the Food TLs feel it. I couldn't handle it and neither could another Food TL in my district (there are like 4 or 5, so about half of us have already given up after only a couple months). I expect Target to lose a lot of great TLs over this change.

And potentially lose some Starbucks'. Yes, I literally mean some Starbucks' could be erased from a store as a direct result of this change because Target cannot meet the standards that Starbucks sets. I'm just hoping they'll realize their mistake and change it back next February.

Sounds exactly like my store, except they called me into an office to officially explain everything all at once. And that's why I stepped down from being a TL. Now I'm a barista at another store. I guess I won't be much help here lol... But I feel your pain. All the Food TLs feel it. I couldn't handle it and neither could another Food TL in my district (there are like 4 or 5, so about half of us have already given up after only a couple months). I expect Target to lose a lot of great TLs over this change.

And potentially lose some Starbucks'. Yes, I literally mean some Starbucks' could be erased from a store as a direct result of this change because Target cannot meet the standards that Starbucks sets. I'm just hoping they'll realize their mistake and change it back next February.
Assuming the sinking Tarbucks out there survive until next year. Has anyone asked their DM for their opinion on the situation? I know they have very little control over what Target does. But I'm sure they should be concerned about this too.

Back