Starbucks Team Leaders

I used it on the day I received it and then ordered more. I'm not sure when the addendum went online, but I haven't gotten a paper copy yet so I had no way of knowing not to use it.

On a related note, I don't care and I'm probably going to keep using it.

The addendum is on the Starbucks operations page. It’s been live on there for awhile. I’m interested in seeing if it does work.

All the changes to foam, including the new cloud drinks. Changing the strawberry frap. Huugge changes to the rewards program - barely anything for us, but it's still important to train our baristas on all the changes because guests will be confused as hell about all of it. Grindz. Matcha is featured on the menus. Cold brew is good for 7 days now (although many of us have probably already started that).

All the changes to foam, including the new cloud drinks. Changing the strawberry frap. Huugge changes to the rewards program - barely anything for us, but it's still important to train our baristas on all the changes because guests will be confused as hell about all of it. Grindz. Matcha is featured on the menus. Cold brew is good for 7 days now (although many of us have probably already started that).
Thanks I’ll just print your comment and read it word for word 😂. Should I bring up the fact that we no LVM or LS at our store?

Hmm you can if you want, but that's up to you. If you want to be completely honest and up front with the DM, then definitely yes. But realistically LVM and LS leader are both completely worthless and take a lot of effort (effort to convince your leader to take the LVM training and lots of time and effort from the barista who does LS leader). If your DM isn't worried about it, it'll be much easier to just ignore it.

In the Cinnamon Lemon Cloud Machiato , is the espresso supposed to sink to the bottom? If so, I sense another flop!

We were doing really good with our customer connection scores but it seems since Jan it started going down and now our scores are terrible..no matter how much I talk to the team about how we can improve.. it doesn’t seem to help..any suggestions on what to do?

We were doing really good with our customer connection scores but it seems since Jan it started going down and now our scores are terrible..no matter how much I talk to the team about how we can improve.. it doesn’t seem to help..any suggestions on what to do?
Have you observed your Team interact with guests? I make sure my team makes every moment count and makes the guest feel special with attention/personalizing their experience.

Make sure the basics like eye contact smiling greeting and taking names for the order is done. Also making the moment right if the guest seems like they didn’t like/ordered the wrong one. Also conversing while making drinks helps! Had a tm who looked like they were going to put a hex on you and after she left went up 10+ cer points

I'm sorry, I'm about to go off. I hope you find this info useful. I know alot of this will sound nuts but IT WORKS. For December I was #2 in the entire company for our Customer Connection score. There is a excel spreadsheet on workbench under Starbucks operations and you can see a list of every single stores scores. I recommend you find the top stores in your district and reach out to see what they are doing differently than your team. It hasn't updated to Jan scores yet so I'm not sure if I still have that #2 spot...but here we go..

Customer connection score = An employee made an effort to get to know you

DO NOT pressure your team. This will make them ultimately feel anxious and uncomfortable about making conversation. I don't pressure my team with writing names because It comes off as robotic and un genuine and that's not what our guests want. You want your team to feel comfortable enough to do this on their own. the truth is..if they are STRICTLY focused on names, they won't be focused enough on actually making conversation with the guests.

Start with something easy... Speak 1 on 1 with your team and find out what they enjoy doing. I have a few team members who enjoy experimenting and making drinks. We sample almost CONSTANTLY and we make it FUN. When it's slow and we have time my team will compete against each other. The team member with the fastest time to walk around the store and give out all their samples to our guests gets food or drink req'd out or some other small reward. It creates a fun environment and happier team members. Happy tms=happy guests. I'm tired of stores saying they don't have time to sample. After almost every drink you make, you will have enough milk or frap left in the cup to pour a little sample. It takes two seconds to pour that into a sample cup, throw whip on it and hand it to a guest while they are waiting for their drink. "Hey, the guest before you had a java chip frap and there was a bit left, would you like to try it? It's one of my favorites" or " I noticed you ordered a passion tea, if you want to try something different I just made samples of a white chocolate mocha. It's different from what you typically order but it's one of our top sellers and delicious!" boom bam done.

TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO MAKE SAMPLES AND LEAVE THEM ON THE COUNTER! That is not connecting with your guests. When a guest is ordering and having trouble, walk them through the order. Hot or iced, fruity or coffee? share what you personally like and why. This is sooooo simple and goes such a long way.

Keep bullseye stickers at Starbucks and hand them out to any children that come up! Another big one at my store...parents will do anything to keep their kids busy while shopping.

For the tms who don't know where to start with making conversation try these prompts:

"It's cold today, did you want to start with a hot drink to warm you up?" Or vice versa

After they order: "Is this your favorite drink?"

"Do you have the target app?"

"Did you see our deal for ____ on cartwheel?"

"Do you have the Starbucks app?"

"Is there anything we can do to make this better for you?"

"Are you excited for spring? Have you heard about our new drinks coming out?"

I'm falling asleep writing this so I'll leave it at that.

Whenever a guest is ordering e.g an iced tea, I say “have you tried it with lemonade? Same for refreshers. I also offer to mix refreshers for them e.g MDR+SAR. For CRF I offer if they would like drizzle inside the cup. I offer to add milk to brewed+ice coffee. Also when someone orders a drink that I like I make sure to tell them that they ordered my “go to drink” Little things that make the moment feel personal for the guests, and shows you care about them , and are seeking the good in them.

On average almost half of our guests that come to Starbucks do it to reward themselves...or their kids. When they have a great guest experience and then shop afterwards they actually increase basket size for Target by over 100%. That's why Spot is obsessed with guest connection. That's why Sbux is always located by the doors, and that's why Starbucks sales goals are always low when compared to actual profit margin. SBUX (inside of Target) is 98% about the guests experience.

Last edited:
Back