Archived Condescending Quote Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you sell the display?"
"Sorry ma'am, we're not allowed to sell our furniture displays"
"Why not? THE OTHER TARGET sold me theirs last week!"
Im afraid we are the "other Target" on this one. We are Ultra Super Freaky, and during BTC, we were undrilling displays and loading them into people's carts. Even a couple with the dummy drawers.

I thought I'd be able to dissuade some people from wanting the displays by pointing out the drill-holes in some of them, but that just made them ask for an even steeper discount. Just visit THE OTHER TARGET and they'll give you one for free!

On the topic of furniture, idk why people even bother with this flimsy particleboard crap anyway. Go to estate sales and take your pick of antique pieces built of solid wood that will last forever at a fraction of the price it would cost at a high-end furniture store or having them custom-made. I did and scored this bitchin' solid oak desk for $100. It is kinda weird putting a gaming PC on an antique piece dating from World War I, but at least it won't fall apart if I try to move it. /tangent

Giving those displays away is easier than fighting to get in in the garbage crusher, especially when there's more than one.

"Can you sell the display?"
"Sorry ma'am, we're not allowed to sell our furniture displays"
"Why not? THE OTHER TARGET sold me theirs last week!"

"If you get any Harry Potter socks in can you put my name on them and hold them for me? THE OTHER TARGET did it for me yesterday!"

"Can you give me 100% off this 4K TV because of this microscopic ding in one corner of the box?" THE OTHER TARGET manager approved it!"

I should really see about transferring to THE OTHER TARGET of legend, sounds like a magical place of enchantment where there's no rules and anything goes
Sorry maam, we're not able to do that for you, if the other target approved it, then i'd suggest going back there. we're not able to honor a one time courtesy thing/go around the policy that another target approved, you'd have to go back there. sorry!

Sorry maam, we're not able to do that for you, if the other target approved it, then i'd suggest going back there. we're not able to honor a one time courtesy thing/go around the policy that another target approved, you'd have to go back there. sorry!

Some guest legit tried to convince me that the "other Target" (they love saying that, don't they) told them that we would price match a $60 game to $10 at Best Buy during their Black Friday deals

GSA was trying not to laugh

Lady was trying to haggle for more than 10% off on a Shabby Chic nightstand years ago, pointing out various small dings & scratches but I wouldn't budge.
I reminded her that the piece was DISTRESSED so any dings or dents further 'enhanced' its appearance.
She passed on it, thinking I'd cave so a guest behind her said SHE'D take it.
First guest was pissed when she came back later & it was gone.
#SorryNotSorry

Some guest legit tried to convince me that the "other Target" (they love saying that, don't they) told them that we would price match a $60 game to $10 at Best Buy during their Black Friday deals

GSA was trying not to laugh
yeah again that's when I say... "i'm sorry-- that's way out of our policy, and we can't honor that. i'd suggest going back to that target and taking advantage of that awesome offer... in accordance with our price match policy we are unable to price match other target stores*"

*yes, many people do not realize this-- we can't price match in store prices of another target (includes clearence)... get a lot of complaints about that.

Selling displays is dangerous. They're not always put together correctly. Some baby stroller displays actually are set up to where if sold the baby most likey will just fall right out of the seat. Small appliance displays most of the time don't even have a power cord.

Selling displays is dangerous. They're not always put together correctly. Some baby stroller displays actually are set up to where if sold the baby most likey will just fall right out of the seat. Small appliance displays most of the time don't even have a power cord.
I had a guest ask to buy a display for a small electronic item once (toaster or coffee pot? Don’t recall which) and when I said we can’t sell the display because the cord has been cut off she just stared at me. After a few seconds she asked “so you won’t sell it?”. I looked her in the eye and said “it doesn’t have a plug. How will you plug it in to get it to work?”

I guess she didn’t realize the plug was attached to the end of the cord. :p

Edited to add: I guess in this case I was the condescending one! LOL

I had a guest ask to buy a display for a small electronic item once (toaster or coffee pot? Don’t recall which) and when I said we can’t sell the display because the cord has been cut off she just stared at me. After a few seconds she asked “so you won’t sell it?”. I looked her in the eye and said “it doesn’t have a plug. How will you plug it in to get it to work?”

I guess she didn’t realize the plug was attached to the end of the cord. :p

Edited to add: I guess in this case I was the condescending one! LOL

Mine was a rice cooker a few weeks ago. Lady brought the display up to SD and I said, uh, this is a display model, we can't sell this. She asked if she could get a discount since it was display. I said it wouldn't work without a cord and she asked me to go get her the cord.
Um, lady, THE CORD IS CUT OFF FFS
She asked me if I could reattach it.

Why are people so damn stupid???

I had a Keurig display (The platinum edition) stolen that had the cord cut off.
My questions where, "How did they get it out of the door without anyone noticing?" and "What the hell were they going to do with it when they got it home?"

BAHAHAHAHA!!! I would LOVE to get one of those twits trying to return a stolen display!!!

They would have had an interesting time with that one since I always put the display number in sharpie and my own addition, the anarchy symbol just to remind which ones I had to debox when they didn't send me the ones I needed.

We do too, but they don't care.
I got to the point with being on the returns end of this that now when I sell them, I make sure to tell the guest as I'm ringing them out that we cannot take returns on opened airbeds, only even exchange for defective units.

That's fucking funny because once they get it home they can't. fucking. use. it.
Unless they know someone with enough electrical skill to patch another cord onto it. Hell, I could do it if i knew the load requirements.

I got to the point with being on the returns end of this that now when I sell them, I make sure to tell the guest as I'm ringing them out that we cannot take returns on opened airbeds, only even exchange for defective units.
Technically I believe it doesn’t have to be an even exchange, just another air bed with the same or higher $ value but telling them at time of purchase is a great idea. I do that sometimes for high value electronics (esp fitbits since people always try to return those after 30 days)

They still act like they don't know. "I was never told that" will be the line.
Me: “I’m sorry you weren’t told at the time of purchase but that is the return policy as noted here and on target.com”

“Sorry judge I wasn’t told that I wasn’t allowed to steal this car” won’t fly so neither will that

The easiest way to limit the annoying airbed return back and forth argument is for corporate to put *exchange if open* under the DPCI on the receipt like they do for movies and games.

It's so simple. I know they get calls about airbeds all the time. It'll help them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back