I'm Lost! Reviews

Can someone explain how reviews for team members work? TLs have a certain number of 'exceeds expectations', 'meets expectations' and 'need improvement' they have to give out and makes people fall into each category? I know these aren't the exact words they use.

What if we have a group of 10 TMs and they are all excellent? If only one can score the highest on the review then 9 and meets expectations or need improvement?

I know this really doesn't matter as we're all getting bumped up anyway but it'd be nice to know the inner workings of the review process so I can confront my TL about it when it comes to mine.

Can someone explain how reviews for team members work? TLs have a certain number of 'exceeds expectations', 'meets expectations' and 'need improvement' they have to give out and makes people fall into each category? I know these aren't the exact words they use.

What if we have a group of 10 TMs and they are all excellent? If only one can score the highest on the review then 9 and meets expectations or need improvement?

I know this really doesn't matter as we're all getting bumped up anyway but it'd be nice to know the inner workings of the review process so I can confront my TL about it when it comes to mine.
We're not all getting bumped up. I depend on my reviews for all my increases.

ASANTS, but we were limited in the number of top ratings that we could give out. There was no quota for the lowest category, but that’s what all of the newbies/ retained seasonals were generally given, whether they deserved better or not. The ETL would decide who got what rating, turn it in to HR, who would give the ratings list to the TLs who would then write and deliver the reviews. If the store quotas weren’t met, some reviews would be changed until everything magically matched the quotas list. Lost some good people due to this bs. What a way to run a business...

@ntauctions how long have you worked for Target?

Many years. I never paid attention to the reviews. It was usually, here, sign this. Everything was always the middle option. (meets goals). Asked about this last year and they said no one gets the highest one, always room for improvement. Blah, blah. Reading now though they only have a certain number of exceeds goals (or whatever you call it) to give out. I'm always told I'm fast, go above and beyond, etc. But at review it's just 'average.'

I suppose it doesn't mean much in the long term. My state and Target will soon both be at $15. At that point it's pointless to stay on.

Many years. I never paid attention to the reviews. It was usually, here, sign this. Everything was always the middle option. (meets goals). Asked about this last year and they said no one gets the highest one, always room for improvement. Blah, blah. Reading now though they only have a certain number of exceeds goals (or whatever you call it) to give out. I'm always told I'm fast, go above and beyond, etc. But at review it's just 'average.'

I suppose it doesn't mean much in the long term. My state and Target will soon both be at $15. At that point it's pointless to stay on.
I hope you have a good life. Bye.

It's just feedback. Listen, adjust, use it to focus.

But it means zip, really.

Had to chuckle at your comments. I've never actually read any of my Target reviews. My last review consisted of my TL telling me "You're doing great. You're raise is $.xx. The company is bumping your pay to $12". I asked if there was anything she wanted me to work on and 30 seconds later we were done.

Please, don’t. Honestly, it’s a done deal. Nothing will come of it. Confrontations may hurt you in the long run. Not much went in to reviews this time, a score and boom....done. Have a nice discussion about tips to improve but please don’t try to argue/fight/dispute for nothing.

All snark aside, we have bosses too. Let me just leave it at that.

Don’t confront or argue with your TL about your review score. It’s your ETL you need to talk to.
Why is it the ETL? They have a boss, too. Talk to the SD.

But wait, the SD has to answer to the DSD to meet the budget. Talk to the DSD.

But then the DSD has to answer to... etc.

Basically corporate makes a decision and everyone below has to follow. It's so far removed from anyone at the store level that it doesn't really matter what rating we actually deserve.

Why is it the ETL? They have a boss, too. Talk to the SD.

But wait, the SD has to answer to the DSD to meet the budget. Talk to the DSD.

But then the DSD has to answer to... etc.

Basically corporate makes a decision and everyone below has to follow. It's so far removed from anyone at the store level that it doesn't really matter what rating we actually deserve.
True that. Do as your told, take what you get. Out of the hands of anyone you have access to.

The store is allocated on how many "exceeds expectations", "meets expectations" and "need improvement" they can give to TMs.
But the reviews won't matter until beginning of 2021. Our review will be May but the base pay increase to $13 in June/July which will wipe out the review you just earned unless you were already making over $13. Basically if your review is under the $13, it'll cushion you up to $13 but the review will NOT be added on top. All the hard work you've done won't be recognized in your pay but may be recognized in how many hours is in your schedule.

Last edited:
I've been told different since we started modernization and are forced to thin the herd. Not even shy about saying it to the team.
🤔

I mean, we can definitely use an inflexible availability to put them in a vice schedulewise (oh, you can only work Wednesday and Thursday? Well I don’t need people those days), but I thought that was all.

🤔

I mean, we can definitely use an inflexible availability to put them in a vice schedulewise (oh, you can only work Wednesday and Thursday? Well I don’t need people those days), but I thought that was all.
Pre modernization when I asked if we could schedule bad workers less they said we don't performance through scheduling. After modernization they said it's ok because we should expect a lot out of tms. Maybe ASANTS

(To "Old MacDonald")
Target_Serf got a raise, DI,DIO.
Then in June, it goes away, DI,DIO.
With a thirteen here, and a thirteen there
Here a thirteen, there a thirteen, everyone gets thirteen.
Target_Serf got a raise, DI, DIO.
In seriousness, I got my performance review. They handed me a sheet with the raise on it, told me I got a DIO, and had me sign on the machine. No break down of what my individual area scores were. No suggestions for improvement. I'm assuming that it also counted as my 1 on 1 for Modernization, as they told me I was still reporting to the GSTL. That was pretty much it. The whole thing probably took less than ten minutes.

Last edited:
Back